Rat food, what do you feed your babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

Hey, guys. Fellow Rat Lovers and Owners :)

What brands of rat food do you use?

I recently bought sunseed.... Apparently it is bad:?

But the thing is, is that i dont have many pet stores around here, and it is very hard to find rat food....

Any ideas?

I tried Sunseed many moons ago, before I researched it properly, and I didn't like the results too much. They always did better on Mazuri, which is what I feed now. I do like their aspen, though, it's far better than most other brands I've tried. Even though I don't use aspen anymore, if I did, that'd be the kind I'd use.

Our Global is hopeless. They refuse to order anything but Sunseed.

AlexandraBoo, your best bet is to try Walmart and buy the Living World Hamster Extrusion. That is a decent food for rats, and they like it.

The packaging of the food for hamsters, guinea pigs, and rabbits is very similar so make sure you double check.

Our Walmart sometimes runs out. Before MumsyRat came to the rescue with her orders of Harlan Teklad, I used to buy several bags at once and hope that I didn't run out. I know of someone who couldn't find it and started feeding her rats some kind of food that was way too high in alfalfa and protein.

Global may be willing to carry oxbow regal rat as well. Global in Halifax has it.
An animal supply store (doesn't sell animals) on Hanwell road in Fredericton, NB also sells oxbow regal rat.

Large bags of oxbow can be ordered - site on the internet with info.
Harlan can be ordered from several places in the states such as Kimsark (also on the internet).
Mazuri could probably be ordered from Rens in Oakville, Ontario.

But your easiest option is the Living World extrusion hamster lab block at Walmart as suggested by godmother.

I feed my boys the living world extrusion hamster blocks, like what was mentioned, as well as having oxbow regal rat in their cage all the time. I'm only using the living world until my harlan order comes in :p

It's almost the same as what corn does to us. We can't digest the cellulose so it just goes right through. Besides, alfalfa is far enough down the ingredient list that it won't do any harm.

We feed our babies Nutriphase from PetSmart. We have tried giving Matzuri blocks to them and integrating it into their food. They refuse to eat them, even if it's all I offer for two days. I give in and return them to their normal food because I can't stand the idea of them starving with food right in front of them. I copied the nutrition information and pasted it here in case you haven't seen Nutriphase. Is it an okay food to give? They eat everything except the alfalfa pellets, none of the 6 rats will eat them and they get tossed. We give fruits and veggies occasionally and chicken ones for their teeth and for the yummy factor. They also have a bad habit of stealing food from our plates but we always keep a close eye that they don't get much or anything too fatty.

Ingredients: Corn, sunflower, wheat, dehulled soybean meal, oat groats, dehydrated alfalfa meal, milo, shelled peanuts, toasted corn flakes, ground corn, ground wheat, ground oats, dried bananas, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, pumpkin seed, raisins, dried papaya, dehydrated carrots, ground peanuts, dried cane molasses, wheat middlings, corn gluten meal, lignin sulfonate, animal fat (preserved with BHT), corn sugar, brewers dried yeast, dried beet pulp, vitamin a supplement, dl-methionine, l-lysine, choline chloride, riboflavin supplement, ferrous carbonate, vitamin e supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ethoxyquin (a preservative), zinc oxide, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin k activity), cholecalciferol (source of vitamin d3), calcium pantothenate, copper oxide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, calcium iodate, biotin, folic acid, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, artificial color, natural flavors.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 16.0%
Crude Fat (min) 7.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 10.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Feeding Instructions: Feed Nutriphase in a clean, covered container. Give only as much as your mouse or rat will eat in a 24 hour period.

Daily Feeding Amount:
Mouse - 2 Tbsp. per animal
Rat - 4-6 Tbsp. per animal

Made in the USA.

Thanks in advance!!

Dried corn isn't good for rats as it may contain mold.

Why don't you try them on Harlan?

A good lab block should be 80% of their diet with vegs and fruit given daily to make the other 20%.

Good Karma said:
I finally got some oxbow off ebay. Everywhere else online that would ship to Canada the sipping cost was crazy! If you are an ebayer definitely give it a try!

What ebayer did you use Good Karma? The only one I was able to find that sold rat food was 4bluelightning and the 3lb bag of food was $8.67 but the shipping was $25.30 US :shock:

Whats the point of getting it over the internet, it costs you more in shipping than what the food actually is! This is why i stick to stores. Sadly there arent alot of pet stores around here, Surprize! moncton n.b for yah!

I used to order oxbow from a Canadian distributor.
Found the info on their web site. Now I can buy it from global pet supply store or from a pet supply store in Fredericton, NB.

I have found that when I order large bags of rat food, even with the shipping costs, it is as or more economical as buying small bags at local stores.

yeah i guess. I cant afford a 50 doller huge bag. So i buy the 7 doller little bags every 2 weeks. plus veggies and fruit. they seem to be alright, but i know i wont buy sunseed again. Im going to ask global to order in a different rat food. If they wont order in some better brands, i will go with extrusion.

Honestly Alexandra, stick with the LW Extrusion instead of trying to get Global to order in a different food, you could get stuck with something much much worse like Kaytee. :roll:

Back