Rat behavior explanation needed!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that dividing the cage is going to work, especially with babies in the mix.. I'd be concerned about the girls being extra ornery and trying to get at eachother's litters. (if they are both pregnant) It would have to be some pretty amazing construction to keep them apart for longer than a couple hours.

What about baby proofing the cage and only tanking one girl?

I could do that. Or if I can figure out an easy/cheap way to babyproof the cage, I may be able to give them both a cage.

Any baby-proofing suggestions? We were thinking some sort of mesh wrapped around the bars might work, but I don't know.

Hardware cloth is the standard issue item for cage mods such as this. Galvanized is all we Canadians have available but some Americans have been able to get their paws on coated hardware cloth. Lucky Americans.

It usually comes in a roll and is fairly easy to find at Home Depot and other stores of that nature.

That and a pack of zip ties and some wire cutters and you're set to modify.

Well, I bought some hardware mesh and spent the last 4 hours covering their cage in it. It's a 1/4 inch grid, so completely rat-proof. I managed to put up a divider too, split the cage in half and I'm pretty sure it's rat proof too. It's made up of coroplast, grids, and the mesh, and if I can't move it or get through it, the rats probably can't either. We'll see how it works out.

Harriet's not to happy about it, she keeps trying to dig underneath the plastic and climbing up the walls trying to figure out what happened.

I am hoping for your sake, only Harriet is preggers. Because if both of them are, well that will be a lot of babies for you and it could be really hard finding homes for that many! I am sure everyone on here will help though...Fingers crossed!!!

How are the boys doing?

Yea, I'm hoping it's only Harriet too, I have no idea what I'm going to do with that many babies. The other girl has gained more total weight than Harriet has, but she's also smaller, so most of that could be from just growing.

The boys are doing fine, getting more used to us and friendly every day, which is great. Having two grumpy rats is enough trouble!

Well if they are pregenant that would explain their behavior and I would love to see pics....so I still have my fingers crossed for only one!!! Only time will tell.....

No serious fighting that I can tell. Still the random screams at night, but I don't see any bloodshed or anything, so I guess they're ok.

I don't know if there are any rescues or shelters nearby, I'll have to do some research.

Just weighed them again, Harriet lost a few grams but still has the round stomach, and the other girl gained 4 more grams.

They gained some more weight today, and their bellies are even more round. Harriet's gained 50 grams total, and the other girl's gained 59 total. So, probably only a few more days before little pinkies show up.

Well in that case, you must take as many pics as you possibly can! I can't wait to see the little ones...(trying to keep things positive)....It will be a fun ONE time experience, I am sure after two litters you'll never want anymore!

Yea, I'm quite sure I don't want to go through this again! Just the grumpiness of the girls is enough to never want pregnant ratties ever again. I'm so sick of being bit.

I'll try to get plenty of pictures, don't worry!

moon said:
Hardware cloth is the standard issue item for cage mods such as this. Galvanized is all we Canadians have available but some Americans have been able to get their paws on coated hardware cloth. Lucky Americans.

It usually comes in a roll and is fairly easy to find at Home Depot and other stores of that nature.

That and a pack of zip ties and some wire cutters and you're set to modify.
Lol I am an american and darnit I cannot for the life of me get my hands on powder coated hardware clothe! :lol:

Baby rats are arriving! Harriet's got herself covered in paper towels so I can't see what's going on, but I can hear little baby squeeks. I'll keep you guys updated!

Back