rant/vent

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sucks that 6 cats had to die because she didn’t know how to assess the situation correctly. I even suggested to her that she find them a home with someone more experienced so that they had a chance of surviving but nothing came of that.

I don’t really want to get the authorities involved because I doubt that the authorities here would do anything about it. I would screenshot the photos that are still up but they don’t really prove anything as they are just posts announcing that the last kitten and the mom passed away. Also, she would get suspicious and mad since the poster can see if anyone screenshots their photos.

Another detail of this situation that grids my gears at the moment is that the kitten and the mom cat died on her birthday (which is rough). She said that it was the best/worst birthday she's had, but what is bothering me is that it wasn't "the worst" because her pets died, it was because she "might have alcohol poisoning". Like, does she not care about a part of her family dying? Does she not care? Do they mean nothing to her?

What is wrong with some people? My pets are my whole world!

Sorry, I got off topic and started about cats instead of rats. Thank you all for letting me rant and get it all out and giving me feedback on the situation.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, there are people in my family who view animals as "just pets" and not actual family members. It really bugs me when I see that sort of behavior from people.

Back to the subject of rats..
UPDATE: guess what? I have just been informed that she got another rat.... this is good for her first rat because he now has a friend but it is bad for other reasons.

Her first rat has been alone for so long that I don’t know how the introduction process will go, I don’t know where she got the new rat from. She most likely won’t do a quarantine on the new rat incase of whatever it might carry as to not infect the first rat if they do have anything and she only has one cage, so she probably won’t introduce them correctly and slowly. I am not at all saying that I am right in this situation but I am just a concerned animal parent. EVERYONE else I talked to and explained this situation to don’t like how she treats her animals, she let SIX cats died because she didn’t care for them properly and didn’t seem to care that they died.

The new rats name is Strawberry which makes me think that it is a girl. Her first rat is a boy and I don’t think he is neutered so that is another problem if she wants to house them together. They are going to breed and then she will be left with a bunch of baby rats which she will most likely also kill by not caring for them properly. I also think but am not 100% sure that she bought these rats on impulse without very much research on them because of what I have ranted about previously in this thread. I would take them but I do not have the space (I would make space if I were to actually get them) or money to provide for two extra rats and their needs although I would absolutely love to take them from that situation.

Another thing that I wanted to point out was that she posted a photo on her Instagram not too long ago and the caption was (Sorry for the profanity) “my rat got stuck in a fucking basket & now he doesn’t like me. like it’s not my fault you like to stick yourself wherever your head can fit idiot. (he’s okay dw)” It’s not much but it makes me mad/sad that she is calling her rat an idiot, what does she call him to his face? I don’t talk to my rats like that, do you? I tell my boys how cute they are and how much I love them everyday. I didn’t call them stupid or idiots.

Anyway, there isn’t anything I can do about the situation as I have stated before. The authorities could care less about someone abusing their rights as an owner because it isn’t a cat or a dog. I just thought that you guys may want and update on the situation.

EDIT: she also got a bigger cage that the rat cage calculator says can fit 4 rats but she doesn’t put anything over the levels and there is barely anything in the cage, just shavings and a blanket from what I can see. No toys or hammocks or such that I know of.

Thank you. All replies are appreciated.

Last edited:
try to get them ……. then it is possible that transport can be arranged to another home in Ontario

I can’t, I have no way of doing so. I can’t just tell her to give me her rats or even ask her to. Also, she would never listen to me.

Back