Random Thoughts - The Sequel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new HP all-in-one printer exactly one week ago today. To make sure I would remember when the product warranty ends (one year from the date of purchase), I entered the printer serial number on HP's "Warranty Check" page and stored the resulting information in a profile I created for myself.

For some reason I cannot understand, it appears that HP estimates warranty start and end times. In my case, according to HP's estimate, my warranty started over a month before I even bought the printer! Basically, this means that HP currently believes that my warranty ends over a full month before it actually does and I don't see any way to correct this (beyond contacting HP and hoping they'll change the information for me). In fairness, the website clearly states that the dates are only an estimate, but why offer a warranty check in the first place if the information you provide to the consumer is completely inaccurate?

I know that I can dispute this bogus date if my printer needs servicing in the last month of warranty because I have a dated purchase receipt, but that was never my concern. What I wanted was an easy way to remember, to the day, when I purchased the printer so I wouldn't have to needlessly go digging for the receipt.

So, I'm left wondering if this is a deliberate maneuver on HP's part to trick people into thinking a product warranty has expired when there may really be weeks left to go before the warranty ends. I really hope this isn't the case, but the cynic in me can't currently come up with any other explanation.

On the bright side, I love the printer and, so far, it's worked flawlessly! :D

I have a new kitten!

As I was driving back home I stopped at a locally owned petstore about 5 hours from home. My partner has been whining for a bit about wanting a little grey kitten. I've been thinking about getting a new cat for a year or two, my current kitties are 12 and 14. While I absolutely love them and treasure my time with them, they don't act very kittenish anymore.

Guess what was at the pet store? A local rescue adopting out a few cats, including a 6 month old grey kitten. My partner named her Curiosity there, so we ended up with a new kitten. A very fluffy grey girl. She is an absolute love. She was picked up as a stray, so she is a bit shy about people walking around her, but she absolutely LOVES being touched and pet. While in bed she will attack you with love and spend the whole time purring her head off.

Pink said:
I have a new kitten!

Congratulations on the new kitten! :D My youngest cat is almost 3 years old now and that kittenish behaviour is starting to disappear - which is good and bad at the same time. :wink:

Dazzle87 said:
It was probably easier to program something that rounded all the start and end dates.

That may be true, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. Why offer a warranty check service that doesn't accurately check the status of your warranty?

In school, I was taught that Canada, the United States and Mexico made up North America. So, it was kind of a shock to me to discover on Wikipedia tonight that there are actually 23 countries in North America. Apparently, Central and South America are part of North America? All these years and I had no idea... :shock:

My day went from good to bad... A beautiful chocolate lab was hit by a car in front of my place. A man was kind of enough to get out of his truck and pull him to the side. The dog laid dead by my fence. Animal control came, stuffed his body in a garbage bag and placed him in the back of his truck.
This beautiful dog, I've encountered before...he roamed my area. He will roam no more. I wonder how long it will take his "owners" to realize he's missing.

jorats said:
My day went from good to bad... A beautiful chocolate lab was hit by a car in front of my place. A man was kind of enough to get out of his truck and pull him to the side. The dog laid dead by my fence. Animal control came, stuffed his body in a garbage bag and placed him in the back of his truck.
This beautiful dog, I've encountered before...he roamed my area. He will roam no more. I wonder how long it will take his "owners" to realize he's missing.

This is such a tragic story and one that, from the sound of things, was probably preventable. :(

Chompers is quite a personality...

IMG_0110.jpg

Oh, such a hard life!

Ugh. Waking up to arguing and hollering is not fun. How hard is it to go about your morning in a peaceful manner? Mom, he's 5. I get it, he should know that he needs to follow your directions in the morning. But you can't get all hot and bothered like you did this morning. It doesn't help. Putting him in his room and closing the door when he's crying his head off doesn't help. William, you need to start following mom's directions in the morning. And stop your spitting, It's gross and rude. Pick up your toys when you're asked and get dressed when asked, it really will make the mornings more pleasant.

Petunia said:
daisylynn said:
Why does everything have to be so freaking hard?!
(((((Daisy))))))

Thanks. I'm so frustrated all the time these days. I officially hate christmas and giving gifts. Next year, no one is getting anything from me. I'm so done. I stress out too much about it anyway.

I hate christmas. I hate winter. I hate the cold and the snow and the ice. I hate the lack of sunshine. I hate not having a job.

:gaah: :cry4: :cry:

daisylynn said:
Petunia said:
daisylynn said:
(((((Daisy))))))

Thanks. I'm so frustrated all the time these days. I officially hate christmas and giving gifts. Next year, no one is getting anything from me. I'm so done. I stress out too much about it anyway.

I hate christmas. I hate winter. I hate the cold and the snow and the ice. I hate the lack of sunshine. I hate not having a job.

Dearest.... you live in Maine! Sunshine may not be on the top of the agenda but you DO have gorgeous landscapes... wonderful fresh air (can I offer you some of the toxic brew from DC?). You have lobsters, you can ride your motorcycles without helmets.... you can ride on the back of a buddy's snowmobile and feed grass to the deer (ok... so maybe she didn't actually eat from my hand, but she DID take what I left her on the tree stump! :bunnydance:

Christmas gifts.... hmmmm.... I had your problem too. What to do? I went to a site called Heifer.com and bought my, impossible to buy for, parents a flock of geese for $20. Ok... so they don't actually GET the geese.... but a needy family does get them.... on behalf of my parents. :)

Jobwise.... what have you tried and what is available to you where you live? Remember to breathe. Things are never as bad as they seem. Your perception helps determine how you see things.

Share something positive. :hugs: :love6: :flowers: :bunnydance: :heart: :rose:

daisylynn said:
Petunia said:
daisylynn said:
(((((Daisy))))))

awww, I know, it sucks! I'm kinda right there with you with the lack of sun. Taking vit D helps a little bit, so does going out for even 15 mins, even on a cloudy day, because there's still enough natural light to help lift your mood a bit. Sunlight, even when obscured, is still way stronger than artificial light.
the good news is, after that shortest day of the year, Dec 21st (or is it the 20th?) anyway after that, the days get LONGER every day! yay!!
we'll try to ignore the fact that they usually get snowier as well :gaah: :roll: :lol:

if anyone is expecting a gift from you or anyone else who is unemployed, they have a screw loose! wanting to give gifts is understandable, but if you can't, you can't- and the sky isn't going to fall if you don't. and if ppl don't understand, that's THEIR problem.

oh I hear you on the jobs, damn it's hard in this area! my daughter is in the same boat, there's just nothing out there. She was going to move to ME, she lives just over the border now, but checked out the job potential and it was just too dismal. Now she's thinking she'll have to move closer to Boston, where the jobs are, and she hates that idea, but what else can you do, when there's nothing to be had where you are?
Hopefully you won't have to do anything that drastic :hugs: she's fortunate that's it's not just her, she has her boy friend and he got a good job right out of college.

yeh life is hard. so take some time for yourself and be GOOD to yourself, don't beat yourself up for what you can't do or what you don't have to give. YOU are much more important then all that. Your presence in the world is a gift, and I appreciate it and I'm sure all your loved ones and friends do, as well- even if they are butt heads at this time of year :roll:
Your health is more important then this single day on the calender.
be kind to yourself. cuz sometimes, on some days, sadly, no one else may, and you really deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. Treat yourself that way, and show others that you will not tolerate anything else, you are worthy of nothing less than that.

it will get better :hugs: be kind and gentle with yourself, ok?

Petunia said:
daisylynn said:
Petunia said:
daisylynn said:
(((((Daisy))))))

awww, I know, it sucks! I'm kinda right there with you with the lack of sun. Taking vit D helps a little bit, so does going out for even 15 mins, even on a cloudy day, because there's still enough natural light to help lift your mood a bit. Sunlight, even when obscured, is still way stronger than artificial light.
the good news is, after that shortest day of the year, Dec 21st (or is it the 20th?) anyway after that, the days get LONGER every day! yay!!
we'll try to ignore the fact that they usually get snowier as well :gaah: :roll: :lol:

if anyone is expecting a gift from you or anyone else who is unemployed, they have a screw loose! wanting to give gifts is understandable, but if you can't, you can't- and the sky isn't going to fall if you don't. and if ppl don't understand, that's THEIR problem.

oh I hear you on the jobs, damn it's hard in this area! my daughter is in the same boat, there's just nothing out there. She was going to move to ME, she lives just over the border now, but checked out the job potential and it was just too dismal. Now she's thinking she'll have to move closer to Boston, where the jobs are, and she hates that idea, but what else can you do, when there's nothing to be had where you are?
Hopefully you won't have to do anything that drastic :hugs: she's fortunate that's it's not just her, she has her boy friend and he got a good job right out of college.

yeh life is hard. so take some time for yourself and be GOOD to yourself, don't beat yourself up for what you can't do or what you don't have to give. YOU are much more important then all that. Your presence in the world is a gift, and I appreciate it and I'm sure all your loved ones and friends do, as well- even if they are butt heads at this time of year :roll:
Your health is more important then this single day on the calender.
be kind to yourself. cuz sometimes, on some days, sadly, no one else may, and you really deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. Treat yourself that way, and show others that you will not tolerate anything else, you are worthy of nothing less than that.

it will get better :hugs: be kind and gentle with yourself, ok?

:yeah:

Back