Random Thoughts - The Sequel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Placing a mom in law into a nursing home is extremely stressful.

That is stressful! Did she *want* to go or did you have to force?

I just handed in my committee report, a 35 page report... I hate writing... I hate writing so much...

So, why don't I feel LESS stress out? I almost feel more stressed out...

crumbilina said:
jorats said:

I just handed in my committee report, a 35 page report... I hate writing... I hate writing so much...

She's being forced and not happy at all. And worse yet, now the social worker thinks she may be able to make it at home but we know she can't. It's a huge mess. :(

jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:

She's being forced and not happy at all. And worse yet, now the social worker thinks she may be able to make it at home but we know she can't. It's a huge mess. :(

Oh dear :(
I went through something similar with my grandmother last year. She was 93 but still sharp as a tack. Everyone kinda gave up on her, except me and my mom. We fought for her to stay home. She was so upset when they (the rest of my family) forced her in. They even tried to force her to sell her house (This was possibly the worst of all - they practically forced her to sign the papers... I freaked out - not good for her, but I made my point, and she didn't sell the house). It was horrible.

If you can talk to her about what she thinks about the whole thing it might help. Let her talk. Then, you can make her points into something good. I talked to my grandma about how she will be getting great meals and not have to make them. How there will always be someone to talk to and if you wanted to be alone you can just close the door and no one will bother you. How there were bingo nights and pianos to listen to and card games to play. I even promised her that I would call her every night, and I made sure that I did. Eventually things started to get better.

I don't know your full situation, but these are the things I wish the rest of my family would have done. After making it a positive experience the move was easier. I hope things start to improve and go a bit more smoothly for you. I would never wish for anyone to go through this, it tears at you.
:hugs:

crumbilina said:
jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:

I went through something similar with my grandmother last year. She was 93 but still sharp as a tack. Everyone kinda gave up on her, except me and my mom. We fought for her to stay home. She was so upset when they (the rest of my family) forced her in. They even tried to force her to sell her house (This was possibly the worst of all - they practically forced her to sign the papers... I freaked out - not good for her, but I made my point, and she didn't sell the house). It was horrible.

If you can talk to her about what she thinks about the whole thing it might help. Let her talk. Then, you can make her points into something good. I talked to my grandma about how she will be getting great meals and not have to make them. How there will always be someone to talk to and if you wanted to be alone you can just close the door and no one will bother you. How there were bingo nights and pianos to listen to and card games to play. I even promised her that I would call her every night, and I made sure that I did. Eventually things started to get better.

I don't know your full situation, but these are the things I wish the rest of my family would have done. After making it a positive experience the move was easier. I hope things start to improve and go a bit more smoothly for you. I would never wish for anyone to go through this, it tears at you.
I think the worse part is that my hubby and I are the only ones who can do this for her. Her other son is in the Soo and he's never really been a part of anything with us. Right now, there's no talking to her. She keeps saying she wants to die if she goes into a nursing home. She has colon cancer, had a stroke and now diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She does wonky things like put salt and pepper in her tea, or put clean pots and pans in the fridge. Once she went to stir her casserole in the stove with her hand. So we are quite worried about her. They did her cognizant test and mobile test, she failed with 15 on 30. She has a 50% chance of falling because her mobility is really bad.
I can say, I've never ever felt this much guilt and stress over anything else before.

nv3i7okj:iphone

Not what you want to see coming towards you.

jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:

I think the worse part is that my hubby and I are the only ones who can do this for her. Her other son is in the Soo and he's never really been a part of anything with us. Right now, there's no talking to her. She keeps saying she wants to die if she goes into a nursing home. She has colon cancer, had a stroke and now diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She does wonky things like put salt and pepper in her tea, or put clean pots and pans in the fridge. Once she went to stir her casserole in the stove with her hand. So we are quite worried about her. They did her cognizant test and mobile test, she failed with 15 on 30. She has a 50% chance of falling because her mobility is really bad.
I can say, I've never ever felt this much guilt and stress over anything else before.

I think her safety is most important now. It would be terrible if something were to happen if she was alone at home. We feel guilt and stress because we love. Just be there for her and give her your time. It is the most valuable thing that we have.

jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:

And her social worker is saying she can stay at home?
Geeze, if she is at that stage of AD she should be in a nursing home for her own safety. The social worker should be supporting your decision.

I don't know your mother in law's personality, but maybe she will come around? Maybe she just needs some time.

:hugs: I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. It really does tear at you.

crumbilina said:
Geeze, if she is at that stage of AD she should be in a nursing home for her own safety. The social worker should be supporting your decision.

I don't know your mother in law's personality, but maybe she will come around? Maybe she just needs some time.

:hugs: I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. It really does tear at you.

The original decision was the social worker but when she saw how distraught my mother in law was she started looking at alternatives. I think she's safer in a nursing home and I really believe that once she's there she would love it. She's a very social person, very open and accepting.
Today, her cousin visited her and talked to her about how great nursing homes are and how her mother really enjoyed it there. I hope that helps.

jorats said:
crumbilina said:

The original decision was the social worker but when she saw how distraught my mother in law was she started looking at alternatives. I think she's safer in a nursing home and I really believe that once she's there she would love it. She's a very social person, very open and accepting.
Today, her cousin visited her and talked to her about how great nursing homes are and how her mother really enjoyed it there. I hope that helps.

I would definitely say that she is safer in a nursing home - they have guarded entrances. Even with home care that is there 24 hours a day there is no guarantee. Especially if she is at that point where she wanders. There is honestly nothing more terrifying then losing a person whose mind is not always there...
I hope that she comes around. There are always alternatives if she really can't stand it in the home. Plus if she is a social person she should really love it! There are always people around to talk, and even families who visit chat with other residents... (or maybe that was just me :giggle: - I miss having elderly people in my life.)

Apparently my email decided to stop updating me about this thread. I've been working 100+ hours a week, so that makes sense. I cant wait to finish my masters.

Back