Random Thoughts - The Sequel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_6701.jpg

New bib, I think Hank likes this one.

Eagle gave me the most suicidal dog ever. I'm copying my facebook post here since several people know and love Chompers.

The story of my 25th birthday:

My dog is officially the most suicidal dog ever. I once again had to save his life today.

Since it is a gorgeous fall day a few people and I were exploring the gold dredge across from the Chatanika lodge with Chomps and another dog. I had Chomps on a 20 foot braided nylon lead and his gentle leader. I had just called him closer to me and coiled some of the lead. I was walking around, exploring the really cool ruins and noticed there was some holes that lead down to somewhere. They had heavy metal lids that could be flipped over onto them. There was a metal rim around 3-4 inches tall surrounding each of the holes. I was trying to stare into one of them to figure out what was down there, when Chompers walked strait into the hole, plummeting into the black darkness. After taking a moment to realize that yes, my dog just did just walk strait into a deep, dark hole, I grabbed the leash and he stopped midair about 5-8 feet down. As far as I can figure out the hole was 10-15 feet deep. At this point he was dangling by his neck 5 or more feet down, I could not see him, or tell if he was still alive or if I had snapped his neck. I somehow managed to pull him out and get him onto solid ground (took me awhile, I'm small, and he's not), where we both took a moment to sit down and recover from such a freaky experience. He seemed fine, but my left hand was shredded where the nylon lead had slipped through my grasp. We went to the vet and had him checked him out; he passed with flying colors. Other than being a little sore he doesn't seem much worse for wear for falling more than 5 feet and being lifted out by his neck. He's on painkiller now and is ordered to rest and not attempt suicide for the next couple of days.

There are so many if's to this which would have resulted in him dying. If he had not been on a lead I never could have caught him and got him out, if he had the lead attached to his collar instead of a gentle leader he could have slipped out of it, snapped his neck, or just had the pressure on a much smaller, more serious area. If I had not just taking in the slack lead I may not have been able to grab the right part. If I was not standing right there at that moment there would have been nothing I could do. If he had fought on the lead, and struggled, he could have hurt himself seriously or have wiggled loose. All in all he is a pretty lucky dog today. The vet was amazed he came out ok, usually they bite their tongue and break blood vessels in their eyes.

I've only had him for a little over a year now. This is the third time he has tried to kill himself, first by falling into deep water and refusing to try to get out (he just stayed upside down under water and accepted death) then eating a nearly lethal level of chocolate, and now falling into a hole. He's not allowed outside of a small padded room anymore.

Sigh. My back is now killing me if I bend the wrong way.

Pink said:
Eagle gave me the most suicidal dog ever. I'm copying my facebook post here since several people know and love Chompers.

The story of my 25th birthday:

My dog is officially the most suicidal dog ever. I once again had to save his life today.

Since it is a gorgeous fall day a few people and I were exploring the gold dredge across from the Chatanika lodge with Chomps and another dog. I had Chomps on a 20 foot braided nylon lead and his gentle leader. I had just called him closer to me and coiled some of the lead. I was walking around, exploring the really cool ruins and noticed there was some holes that lead down to somewhere. They had heavy metal lids that could be flipped over onto them. There was a metal rim around 3-4 inches tall surrounding each of the holes. I was trying to stare into one of them to figure out what was down there, when Chompers walked strait into the hole, plummeting into the black darkness. After taking a moment to realize that yes, my dog just did just walk strait into a deep, dark hole, I grabbed the leash and he stopped midair about 5-8 feet down. As far as I can figure out the hole was 10-15 feet deep. At this point he was dangling by his neck 5 or more feet down, I could not see him, or tell if he was still alive or if I had snapped his neck. I somehow managed to pull him out and get him onto solid ground (took me awhile, I'm small, and he's not), where we both took a moment to sit down and recover from such a freaky experience. He seemed fine, but my left hand was shredded where the nylon lead had slipped through my grasp. We went to the vet and had him checked him out; he passed with flying colors. Other than being a little sore he doesn't seem much worse for wear for falling more than 5 feet and being lifted out by his neck. He's on painkiller now and is ordered to rest and not attempt suicide for the next couple of days.

There are so many if's to this which would have resulted in him dying. If he had not been on a lead I never could have caught him and got him out, if he had the lead attached to his collar instead of a gentle leader he could have slipped out of it, snapped his neck, or just had the pressure on a much smaller, more serious area. If I had not just taking in the slack lead I may not have been able to grab the right part. If I was not standing right there at that moment there would have been nothing I could do. If he had fought on the lead, and struggled, he could have hurt himself seriously or have wiggled loose. All in all he is a pretty lucky dog today. The vet was amazed he came out ok, usually they bite their tongue and break blood vessels in their eyes.

I've only had him for a little over a year now. This is the third time he has tried to kill himself, first by falling into deep water and refusing to try to get out (he just stayed upside down under water and accepted death) then eating a nearly lethal level of chocolate, and now falling into a hole. He's not allowed outside of a small padded room anymore.

Sigh. My back is now killing me if I bend the wrong way.

The boy is not the brightest in the world, but what he lacks in brain cells he makes up in lovable cuddles. Give him a smooch from me and Sparky.

Dear God,
I'm sure you've noticed in all your observations how busy I am. I am taking a full semester of classes. Do you know how much homework that is? If you don't, here's a clue. They think they need to assign 3 hours of homework for every 1 hour in class. Do the math. I am trying to build a social life so that I can feel more confident around people. So could young PLEASE STOP picking on me? I know I don't go to church... But seriously? The health issues REALLY aren't helping. Could you possibly leave me alone for a while? Let me do my homework and live my life WITHOUT getting sick. Strep throat is grounds for the college to make me stop going to school for a good week.
I'll say it again. STOP PICKING ON ME.
Thanks.
Daisy Powell

Holy shoot, it's hot as hades in here. Mikes cold but I have all the windows open. Pregnancy sucks!

I hate people so much.
I hate people so freaking much.

I wish I could talk about why, but unfortunately there are legal issues involved.
But the over all issue here is that people are sick, lying, manipulative creatures, who rarely have any regard for the lives of other animals.
If/when I can ever talk about this, I'll share... but for now I just needed to say...
I HATE PEOPLE SO FREAKING MUCH

handmeafish said:
I hate people so much.

I wish I could talk about why, but unfortunately there are legal issues involved.
But the over all issue here is that people are sick, lying, manipulative creatures, who rarely have any regard for the lives of other animals.
If/when I can ever talk about this, I'll share... but for now I just needed to say...

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
I hope it gets better... Whatever the situation is.

handmeafish said:
I hate people so much.

I have never come to extends like yours but I know the feeling... Too many times do I feel ashamed to be part of the human species, for too many different reasons, and animal care definitely is one of them.

Hope things turn out ok for your case :hugs:

Back