Radar behaviour and pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm asking about the bamboo chewie. I know of your love for the bendy ladders, Shelagh.. I just never see them anywhere.

I'm now seeing a interesting little thing in the top left corner.... wondering about that one now.

Your Radar looks an awful lot like my Irwin!
Irwin123.jpg

That's funny, because Radar's behaviour is a lot like Irwin! Frantic scent marking (he would even rub his side against a wall) and aggresive dominance. He would puff up his fur and sidle and try to mount the other rats, even after a month of attempted intros. If a rat came up behind him, he'd squeak, and the other rats didn't like him. I had him neutered, and even after another couple months I had to put them in a room together with no cage or personal belongings. (that's the only way they wouldn't fight) I let them all live together in this completely un-scented, fresh room for almost a month with a couch to sleep and climb on. Then I finally set up their big cage again with toys and hammocks and stuff and they all climbed in there together. And now they all live peacefully together. Whew!

moon said:
No, I'm asking about the bamboo chewie. I know of your love for the bendy ladders, Shelagh.. I just never see them anywhere.

I'm now seeing a interesting little thing in the top left corner.... wondering about that one now.

That other thing in the corner is a favourite for all my rats. I'm not sure what it's made of but I buy it at my vet's. She has a lady that makes all these things for birds. I told them they are excellent for the rats too.
I'll get a close up of it... it looks bamboo as well.

toy.jpg

ratamataz said:
Your Radar looks an awful lot like my Irwin!
Irwin123.jpg

That's funny, because Radar's behaviour is a lot like Irwin! Frantic scent marking (he would even rub his side against a wall) and aggresive dominance. He would puff up his fur and sidle and try to mount the other rats, even after a month of attempted intros. If a rat came up behind him, he'd squeak, and the other rats didn't like him. I had him neutered, and even after another couple months I had to put them in a room together with no cage or personal belongings. (that's the only way they wouldn't fight) I let them all live together in this completely un-scented, fresh room for almost a month with a couch to sleep and climb on. Then I finally set up their big cage again with toys and hammocks and stuff and they all climbed in there together. And now they all live peacefully together. Whew!

Two birds of a feather... I'm seriously thinking of neutering him.

He's being nicer to you now? That's great, I guess now that's he's established which of the two of you is alpha he doesn't have to put you in your place anymore - lol!
Really, I hope it's a sign he'll mellow out with the others too.

Well... Radar has found out that the floor is not that far away from the couch. :shock: He keeps escaping and going towards the other cages.
I'm calling tomorrow to make an appointment... the little man is losing his gonads. :evilwink:

He's getting chopped on Aug. 21st. But man... he's making it hard on me. He hasn't tried to bite me and he's starting to calm down a lot. Arg! He's fooling with my head.

jorats said:
He's getting chopped on Aug. 21st. But man... he's making it hard on me. He hasn't tried to bite me and he's starting to calm down a lot. Arg! He's fooling with my head.

You have everyone spayed/neutered jo? I know most of your cages are mixed aren't they?

All my females are spayed, some of my males are neutered but I only neuter them if they show some kind of aggression: cage/human/rat
Once Radar gets done, I'm going to try to intro him to the big cage of 16. Those guys are more his age group.

-don't mind me, using this as my Radar blog-

Today was a great day with Radar. He was sweet and happy. He didn't mind so much the other rat smells. Ok, so I did change clothes and I did wash my hands but at one point, I had to pick up Mister because he needed some finger feeding and Radar didn't go nuts. :thumbup:

He is so sweet, he makes this little squeak noise when you pick him up, then he tenses up when you try to kiss his belly and he will close his eyes. Just too cute!
I can tell, he's lonely in the cage. I don't know if he's lonely for other rats, but he's sure lonely for his humans.

Yesterday, I was going to cancel... but then I thought, smuck it, I have to to give it a chance. His lungs are clear, he's in top shape so a neuter won't be too risky. My vet is most excellent with rats so... might as well do it. I want to try to intro him to the big crew of 16. They are mostly his age group there.

Sounds like you're doing a great job of taking away his heeby-jeebies!
He doesn't sound at all like the kid on page One.

Back