Radar behaviour and pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe rather than letting him disrupt a group you need to go to the spca and bring home a lone rattie that will be so happy to have his company they will put up with him? Yup, another rattie
HDevil.gif
Sorry, I'll shut up.

lol... I've thought about that already. But first I tried him with one of my most easy going docile girls, Flea, his look alike and his sister I suspect but even she was scared to death of him. He starts off all innocent and then he pins and grooms much to hard, he'll end up slicing them, this I'm sure. I don't think he knows how to be with other rats.

Have I mentioned how much I love this little guy?
Today, he wasn't as freaked out. And he comes to me when I call his name, he actually runs full speed to reach me at the end of the couch.
I open his cage at around 11:30am and he has access to the couch and the dresser. His cage is closed up at 3:30pm. So he gets plenty of out time and people time. Whenever one of my boys will get close to the couch, Radar stops what he's doing and goes and checks the new "human" in close proximity. He's quite a people rat.
Oh and he no longer struggles for belly kisses. :heart:

Awww...That "girl" fell into the perfect hands. Maybe like Bella and Lisbet he has a complex after being called a girl for so long. :roll:

We need more pics!!!! :stickpoke:

I know we have different opinions about whether they can be happier alone than with other ratties. I think the odd one can as long as it's their choice and not mine, and their person is able to give them a lot of 1-to-1 time. But you've had much more success with stubborn intros than I have, I can't bear to keep it up with a kid that consistently causes injury to others. I guess a neuter might help but you do have the age concern.

Savanna's been my only girl impossibility and I sure would like her to have a cagemate for her old days and will keep intro'ing her to any new girls that come to see if she'll accept anyone.

I think you are wise to keep offering him the chance to be with others without forcing him.
Maybe Radar will come around once he's totally ok with you. But it does seem to me that the more a loner has got happy with just me the less use they have for other ratties.
It's a hard positon you're in. I have no doubt Radar will have a good life with you however it goes tho.

Thanks Fidget, I so appreciate the reassurances.
It seems we are always second guessing ourselves with rats. Just when I thought I knew all about it, here comes one that totally baffles me.
I can't say it's not interesting or fun... it's a bit of everything mixed into Radar. lol

jorats said:
It seems we are always second guessing ourselves with rats. Just when I thought I knew all about it, here comes one that totally baffles me.
Lol, I don't guess we'll ever 'know' ratties, eh? Just the ones we've met so far. People always ask "how can you have them when they live such a short time?" Cause it's such a consistently amazing thing that you can have so many in a lifetime and no 2 will ever be alike, they are so themselves and every one is a new experience, a new love affair of discovery, and a new beginning.

Fidget said:
People always ask "how can you have them when they live such a short time?" Cause it's such a consistently amazing thing that you can have so many in a lifetime and no 2 will ever be alike, they are so themselves and every one is a new experience, a new love affair of discovery, and a new beginning.

Very nicely put!!! :exactly:

I moved this topic to Rat Pics and Tails cause I sense it's going to be an on going saga along with pics. :wink:

Today... I didn't have much time for him because it was cage cleaning day and out to eat with the girls day (mom, nic and I)
We came back home, helped Nic with her intro and then came upstairs to sit with Radar. Bad move, forgot to change and get cleaned up. Radar was excitable... going nuts with the smells of the other rats. But he was being careful, not digging deep with his teeth. He rubbed me like mad. Took a couple of bites but stopped himself before the teeth hit skin. Finally, I figured I would lock him up in his cage. It's not fair to him that I stress him like that. I'll take him out tonight after work, once I'm all cleaned up.
He wasn't happy being locked back in his cage, he jumped on his brand new bamboo chew and started to frantically tear it apart. I also bought him a small snak shak log. He's tested it and I think he approves. :D

Ok, so I figured I'd get some Radar pics up. It's really hard to take a decent pic of Radar cause if he just as much as smell a human near him he comes a running like a kid looking for candy. He gets real excited with people.

Here is Radar in his cage:

Radarcage.jpg

Oops, but not for long, he has spotted me, so here's a Radar butt:

Radarbutt.jpg

Radar's playground, because he's alone, he gets 3 to 5 hours out time a day on the couch and dresser:

Radarplayground.jpg

Radar standing up:

Radarup.jpg

Peekaboo Radar!

Radarpeek.jpg

Awww another old manrat of yours for us to fall in love with. Umm...sorry...too late, I'm already in love, no falling necessary!

:love4:

He's wonderful. :thumbup:

Aww whe's so cute! He doesn't jump onto the floor? I wish I could do a freerange area like that. Darn jumping ladies :p

Back