Questions about rat tail infection wip

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Spikeypineapple

hi there, first of all thanks for clicking in.
I have a rat named Dragon Slayer, she’s roughly 1 year and 2 months old now ( got her from a pet shop, she was around 1 month old back then). She’s a lovely girl who would just sit there for hours long cuddles. Last year around August one of my older rats, her friend died because of tumour. She’s since been sad and started to have a little patch of red skin on her tail. I took her to the vet and I got some mouth-fed antibiotics, pain relief and cream for external use. The infection got slightly under control but there were relapses again and again.

By the end of last year I had to leave for a month. I found someone to rat sit my baby and just before I left I went to the vet again for all the meds needed for her, but when I got back just a few days ago the infection has spread all over her tail, there seem to be no skin at all on her tail and it seems constantly bleeding. The end of her tail is all curled up. I don’t want to blame the rat sitter as it already happened, plus it was my fault for the most part that I didn’t take good care of her. But I’m just wondering is there still anyway I can makeup for it? Will cutting off her tail (part of it) be a good idea for now as she’s really suffering from it? She’s still eating and drinking, but she’s in so much pain that she staying in her little hut for the most of time and I have to separate her from the other rats.

(P.S I was never told precisely what caused this infection. She gets fruits and veggies esp. capsicum in daily basis. The rats were all friendly to each other and no fighting were observed before so I don’t think it was a fight wound. I clean their cage thoroughly once every two days and I wiped off their piss and poo once everyday. Someone suggested it might be because she over-groomed herself as she was depressed after her friend died, which later developed to this pretty bad infection. I’m so sad about everything that happened and I know I’m such a shitty rat owner, but I’m really desperate for some advice right now. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back