PREGNANT RAT IN LABOR FOR 24H help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhiannondevries

Before you say I need to talk her to the vet, I am dirt broke and can't afford it.
Okay, so my rat accidentally got pregnant and she was at 21 days pregnant 5 days ago. On her 22nd day, there was a little blood in the cage, so I was expecting babies. On her 24th she still have not had them and more blood showed up the cage.
She is pushing a lot and licking herself a lot and I don't know what to do because today is the 25th day. If I lose her I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel awful. She doesn't seem in a lot of pain but she is boviously pushing. I need help on what to do.
She is still eating, drinking and going to the bathroom.
I'm freaking out guys. And yes I know she is pregnant for sure because when she sucks in, I can feel the babies in her.

PLEASE HELP ASAP.

Where are you? If you can't get her to a vet, you need to get her to someone that can. There's nothing that can be done without the help from a vet at this point. Even taking her to a shelter that would humanely euthanize her at this point would be better than letting her die slowly.

,pickering, ontario. I will put her down if she seems in obvious pain. She is playing and eating anddrinking normally. Her contractions are still coming, but not as intense and not as long. She's licking me and playing.. I don't know what's going on she's acting normal

She might be resorbing them right now. Hopefully! Can you massage her belly? Maybe it will help them come out.
It's really good news that she's acting normal.

I'm not a mean person, I would never let my rat suffer. I'm very glad she is feeling good (I think) she's a super cuddly rat so last night Icarefull picked her. And we had a little snuggle... Iwas just trying to relax her and it seemed to work. I will tonight if has had them because I'm currently at school. I hope to god she is absorbing them and moving on! Even though I was really really hoping for little rat babies.

I will keep you posted!

It's unlikely she can deal with dead babies on her own after 26 days, I would be worried about her becoming septic.

If she can't reabsorb them they will start to decompose inside her and the toxins released will poison her. If you're saying she's in labour, it's unlikely she's reabsorbing.

Absolutely nothing. This is why it is highly recommended to not keep two intact sexes in the home and/or to have a good vet and the funds in case of an emergency before you breed.

How old is she? Has she had babies before?

First litter, one year old. I got her pregnant from a pet store.
During her pregnancy, she never got very big.. at all. Like she was noticeably.pregnant but not as big as the rats in pictures.

rhiannondevries said:
Before you say I need to talk her to the vet, I am dirt broke and can't afford it.
Okay, so my rat accidentally got pregnant and she was at 21 days pregnant 5 days ago. On her 22nd day, there was a little blood in the cage, so I was expecting babies. On her 24th she still have not had them and more blood showed up the cage.
She is pushing a lot and licking herself a lot and I don't know what to do because today is the 25th day. If I lose her I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel awful. She doesn't seem in a lot of pain but she is boviously pushing. I need help on what to do.
She is still eating, drinking and going to the bathroom.
I'm freaking out guys. And yes I know she is pregnant for sure because when she sucks in, I can feel the babies in her.

PLEASE HELP ASAP.

rhiannondevries said:
First litter, one year old. I got her pregnant from a pet store.
During her pregnancy, she never got very big.. at all. Like she was noticeably.pregnant but not as big as the rats in pictures.

I don't understand - is this her second litter or did you buy her as a pregnant one year old? How come you said she accidentally got pregnant?

A rat's cervix fuses at about 8 months of age and if they have not had a litter by then, it is much more dangerous to breed them. Even if the pregnancy is completely healthy, the birth canal may be too narrow for the pups to pass through, trapping them inside.

I know you said you can't take her to a vet, but you really need to find a way.

I had a rat here once named Moxy. The person who was breeding rats noticed that one of his girls was having a hard time after giving birth so he contacted Shelagh on here for help, who then contacted me to pick up this sweet girl since she was in my city. I made a vet appointment immediately but I was not expecting what I found when I picked her up. Moxy likely had dead babies INSIDE her. She was in terrible pain, to the point that she would not move. I tried to get her to eat, she would not eat. I tried everything to get her to feel better and to help her but I could do nothing. Not even metacam could help with her pain. Nothing could help this girl except maybe a trained vet who could do an emergency surgery to get all the babies out of her, then she would have a long road of recovery ahead to beat the infection that was likely throughout her body. Sadly, she never made it to the vet and passed in the early hours of the morning before her appointment.

Her memorial is here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29711&hilit=Moxy
She too was acting normally up until they reached out for help.

Im not trying to terrify you by telling you this story, but you need to know that your rat is in a life threatening position right now and this could very well happen to your girl. You really do need to find a way to get her to a vet. I know you say you can't afford it and I can sympathize with that. I'm not trying to be unhelpful by telling you to go even though you said you cant. This could happen to your girl and really, you don't want to witness that. It was absolutely horrible to watch.

Worst case scenario, she will become lethargic and be in serious pain.
Best case scenario, she's resorbing. I've heard of a 13 month old rat who was pregnant, at almost 21 days gestation, she bled a little and never gave birth. Hopefully, that's what is happening. But you will need to keep a close eye on her, if she becomes weak and lethargic, or stops eating and playing, you'll need to rush her to a vet. Borrow the money to have her put to sleep if that is what is needed .

Okay thanks guys.. well, I still can't take her to the vet. I will home in about 20mins so ill let you guys know how she is.
Thanks for all of your guys help.

Does anyone know how much a vet visit and operation on a rat would cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back