Pip's Intro to Ed & Al(RIP) [Success!]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well these videos were fun! Pip is a sweetheart!
In the first vid Pip is actually popcorning/grooming Al. Pip and Al are going to be buddies. I can tell... In the last vid, Al came running to check on Pip when you put your hand over Pip. This is very good. A couple more days like this and you might try the familiar ground.

Do you think its safe to move them on my bed for now and then to the floor(familiar for ed and Al) instead of the tub tonight? Or keep with the tub just cause its a separate room?

Nothing happened until about 20 minutes in. I didn't get any video this time because I just didn't have time to -- Ed and Al both know there is a world down on the floor, so I spent pretty much my entire time either putting them back on the bed or stopping them from launching off. Which brings up a problem in it's own -- The bed is the only familiar territory I can do intros on, because if I go for the floor, thats an ENTIRE room and everyone can easily escape each other and spend an entire time out not even meeting one another(and knowing Ed, he'll spend the entire time underneath the cage). So I'm not sure what to do; I can't spend the entire time during intros trying to stop 2/3 rats from CONSTANTLY jumping off the bed. By the time half an hour rolled around i was so sick of running all over trying to catch them or stop them from jumping that I just called intros quits for the night.

Nothing really happened, though. More standoffs between Pip and Ed about 20 minutes in, and one minor rat ball between Al and Pip that I didn't see the beginning of because I was grabbing Ed from jumping off the bed. Other then that, everyone either spent their time eating or trying to get off the bed.

Scythe said:
Nothing happened until about 20 minutes in. I didn't get any video this time because I just didn't have time to -- Ed and Al both know there is a world down on the floor, so I spent pretty much my entire time either putting them back on the bed or stopping them from launching off. Which brings up a problem in it's own -- The bed is the only familiar territory I can do intros on, because if I go for the floor, thats an ENTIRE room and everyone can easily escape each other and spend an entire time out not even meeting one another(and knowing Ed, he'll spend the entire time underneath the cage). So I'm not sure what to do; I can't spend the entire time during intros trying to stop 2/3 rats from CONSTANTLY jumping off the bed. By the time half an hour rolled around i was so sick of running all over trying to catch them or stop them from jumping that I just called intros quits for the night.

Nothing really happened, though. More standoffs between Pip and Ed about 20 minutes in, and one minor rat ball between Al and Pip that I didn't see the beginning of because I was grabbing Ed from jumping off the bed. Other then that, everyone either spent their time eating or trying to get off the bed.

If I remember correctly I was told it takes them about 20 minutes before they start to loosen up and show their attitude. So that is why they recommend to have the intros go longer. Kimber did her intros in a full room they avoided and and sniffed each other in passing lol I never had a full room to use, but I did make a play area, which was new to both with a wall so they could run in and out.

My familiar ground intros is a half a room with lots of under cages and other nooks and crannies. You just got to do your best to have your eyes all over the place and watch body language. Have a yummy plate of food in the middle so they might meet there. But trust me, even if say Al is in one end, he definitely knows Pip is at the other end and if they don't do anything about it, that means they are fine with it. You continue with that kind of familiar ground intros for a lot longer than a controlled familiar ground intro because the need to meet at some point and will, it just takes longer.

[youtube:1e2wy76b]fBsjOvKk6T4[/youtube:1e2wy76b]

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Pip and Al get into frequent rat balls... At least once during the hour, now. I still can't touch either one of them during familiar ground intros, though...

Pip will purposely follow Ed around. Poor Ed is terrified when he's out with Pip. On the first day of neutral, I could gently touch Ed's back or his tail and Ed would jump a mile high and then bolt under the CN before stopping to figure out what touched him. He's SLOWLY getting better, not quite so bad, but now he runs to me and jumps on my lap when Pip chases him. Pip doesn't jump onto my lap, so I think Ed knows he can 'escape' there.

Al is INCREDIBLY poofy during familiar ground, though. It sort of worries me, I'm not sure when the point comes to taking a step back, but there's been nothing incredibly bad other then the rat balls and Ed and Pip starting to box each other.

LOL your boys are buggers! Get a spoon, break them up with it, like a big plastic one from the kitchen. The black one, get a basket and put over him, do a time out that way? till he chills out, if you are doing time outs. Poor pip lol but he really doesnt look scared just a bit weary of him. I like how that wood thing is his favorite place to hang out, he is up her ein a few videos.

Is Al trying to bite at him? or just man handle him? it is hard to tell from the video.

hopefloats said:
LOL your boys are buggers! Get a spoon, break them up with it, like a big plastic one from the kitchen. The black one, get a basket and put over him, do a time out that way? till he chills out, if you are doing time outs. Poor pip lol but he really doesnt look scared just a bit weary of him. I like how that wood thing is his favorite place to hang out, he is up her ein a few videos.

Is Al trying to bite at him? or just man handle him? it is hard to tell from the video.

I don't think Al is trying to straight out bite him. Al does the bumrushing thing and then Pip will trip up and fall or someone will get knocked over and it ends up in a rat ball.

And yes, Pip always runs to the nightstand when he's been shot down, LOL. And he'll wag his tail up and down really fast underneath it so all I hear is bangbangbangbangbang and then he'll peer out.

How are they when they are on your lap? I know mine will fight like mad in other areas, but once i put them on my lap they wont fight at all? My rats are odd though.

templeton would go after dopey with teeth showing, ready to bite what ever he could reach. Poor dopey has a lot of bite scars. The girls, rarely try to bite, but make a lot of noise when trying to pin the other one. they are always kinda puffy when they do it too.

Have you tried the timeouts on bully butt? if you cant touch him, hold a basket over his butt for a few minutes till he chills out.

Al is trying to flip Pip. He's demanding respect and Pip won't give it to him.
So, now would be the time to go back to neutral intros. When you have carpet on the floor it makes familiar ground way too familiar. (pee smell stays on the carpet for a long time)
Otherwise, I enjoyed the video. Lol i love the ending... Pip... And he runs.

In the middle of familiar intros now and lots of bum rushing but no rat balls yet, and the hour is almost up. If it ends with no balls, should I stay on familiar or still go to neutral again? Pip has done a lot of popcorning this time, much less running in fear from ed.

Pip is hanging out with a crazy man, so it takes a bit for him to see he wont paint his toenails pink, or dress him up. lol You can tell when one animal is being unstable, it affects all of them around. They seem to since it more than people do . It is rather amazing to watch them. when the one loosens up the whole group loosens up.

It certainly didn't end in popcorning... It ended in all out war with Al stuck in a house with the door to the wall. I'm definitely going back to the tub.

It started good, Pip was popcorning and trying to play it looked like, and Ed was doing great too. But out of nowhere near the end there was a rat ball and when I got Pip free and he ran, Al went CHASING after him and literally flew up into the air and right on top of him. More balling and chasing and finally I threw a house on the top of Al and pinned the door to the wall as a 'time out'. Al also bit me in the process, KNOWING it was my hand(He touched it with his nose and then moved forward and bit though didn't draw blood).

Back to the tub tomorrow night. :(

Yep, back to the tub. Animals go into a red zone when they are focused on dominating. Al did not really "know" it was your hand so don't take that personally.
Any rat cut up? Any gashes and bites? If not...then it's still going good. Al needs to dominate Pip. Once that happens, all will fall into place.

jorats said:
Yep, back to the tub. Animals go into a red zone when they are focused on dominating. Al did not really "know" it was your hand so don't take that personally.
Any rat cut up? Any gashes and bites? If not...then it's still going good. Al needs to dominate Pip. Once that happens, all will fall into place.

Yeah, he was really focused on it until I threw the house on him and pinned it on him for five minutes while everyone cooled off. No one was cut, scratched or anything.

I guess them youngins really do piss those old men off :laugh4: Al's probably thinking something like "Get off my lawn!" :giggle:

Back