Pip's Intro to Ed & Al(RIP) [Success!]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did someone say get creative? :cheeky:

DSC04328.jpg

About to go start this round and see how it goes. It's in the same room as their cages, but just a much smaller space, and not where they spend a great deal of time hanging around during out time.

Wish me luck...!

It went pretty good, in comparison to all the other few times they've met in my room! Only a couple squabbles, mostly because Pip is still being rude to Ed and/or not submitting to Al.

I noticed Pip does this a lot... He'll go up to Ed or Al and then run away to a corner -- and stare in their direction really intently as he wags his tail like crazy. The heck is that?

He spent a good fifteen minutes sitting with Ed in the sputnick, though. Neither one of them seemed very impressed with the ordeal, but no one screamed, and no one left the sputnick either. :nod:

Good job! I knew you would figure something out. :) That looks pretty good. Do that for a few times, if it goes well each time, then it's time to try the whole room again.
At this point, I'd let them all be. You've asserted yourself before, they know what you want from them but if they need to go through the motions then let it happen. I'm at that point with Teddy and George. They are being bullies and I'm letting them get it out of their system, they will get bored with it because it's constant and the same rat each day. One of my intros once took 3 months before I could finally move everyone in.

It's been a while on familiar grounds in my room in the little blocked off corner... Still having troubles. There are still squabbles and big fights with hair pulled out and big puffy Al and nervous wreck Ed(Who's learned to pull aside the cardboard and escape), and Pip being the normal pain in the butt who refuses to submit to any one, and continues to be incredibly rude. It's still a big, enormous fight to dominate Pip, and I feel like it's a miracle I haven't been bitten by him thus far. He still just absolutely freaks and panics and screeches if I touch him while he's around another rat.

Is there anything else I can do? :wallbang: :panic:

jorats said:
At this point, I suggest a neuter for Pip.

That's just what I was asking Shelagh in chat :giggle:

I was trying to think if neutering Pip would solve anything because while it's him who wont submit to them, its the other two that poof and 'boss' him around. But I think at this point, after a freaking month, the heck is there to lose from trying it... other than Pips tail supports, lol. :giggle:

Should I keep going until the day he goes in to be neutered and then pause until he's healed, then continue from neutral(or familiar)?

The only day I have off from training next week is Wednesday, and usually Munn doesn't work Wednesdays, but... Next week, he just happened to be! So Pip is scheduled to go in at 9:30am and if he checks out, he'll be getting those tail supports removed. :cheeky:

He better enjoy them while he can. :cheeky:

Pip's back home from his neuter! He's being ridiculous and grooming everything that doesn't move. The Tech's had a couple funny stories. Apparently when they sedated him, they put him back in the cage to let it take effect... Went to pick him out after he was out cold, and out of nowhere Pip wakes up, launches out of their hands, into the wall, and runs back into the cage and hides. And then apparently the second he woke up after the neuter, he started to shred the towel and destroy it and they had to distract him with food haha.

I can't even find the incision on him :panic: Just some deflated tail supports... :giggle: How many days should I give it before I throw them all back together to try again?

I give my my boys/girls a few days to recover. Yours are at a rough spot in intro's i would be worried about a bad bite or a bad run. I know after a few days you cannot even tell they had anything done.

I am glad he is home and doing well!

I'm glad he's home now and doing good. The shredding stuff sounds like he's in pain. Is he on metacam?
I'd give him a few days to feel better before starting intros again. Give him lots of scritches for me.

jorats said:
I'm glad he's home now and doing good. The shredding stuff sounds like he's in pain. Is he on metacam?
I'd give him a few days to feel better before starting intros again. Give him lots of scritches for me.

He was given a metacam injection after the procedure, but he's still obsessive grooming and its been many hours now. He's so into it he tips over and just keeps going. Hes not grooming HIMSELF, its just the bedding or whatever heslayng on. Munn said no metacam until tomorrow... we're talking about it in chat and everyone agrees its pain, but i don't know how much of anything he was given or what, other than metacam... or even when ,I only know they called me at 3:39 to say he was ready.

Back