Petunia and her bubs - the end of an era...pg 20

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Petunia was adopted with two other girls, and all three ended up being pregnant and had babies. The owners, feeling overwhelmed, advertised 'free pinkies' for anyone who wanted to feed their snake. I offered to take one mom and her litter - they agreed. They also feel they have enough homes for the remaining babies so hopefully none will go as food.
Petunia has seven babies. They all seem to be in fairly good shape, although some babies seem quite pudgy compared to their siblings. I think there are six girls and one boy. There may be one agouti in the batch as she seems a little lighter than the others. Mom is in good body condition, but has a gunky eye, and an overgrown incisor - she can't eat the blocks of 2014. I have given her baby food, scrambled eggs, and am soaking a couple of blocks for her. I am hoping to get her tooth trimmed tomorrow. When I try to pick her up she scoots away from me. If I get ahold of her, she cries like I'm killing her. However, in all this turmoil and change, she has not bitten me once. So I know there's a heart of gold in there! :heart:
Some pics:
P1010463_1.jpg

P1010467_1.jpg

P1010470-A_1.jpg

P1010471-A_1.jpg

P1010475_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a double take when I saw the name Petunia!! :shock: :lol:

as much as I am mourning the loss of fertility due to menopause, I don't think I could handle having a litter!
:laugh4:

glad you were able to rescue this girl and her babies. Wow some of those babies do look a lot smaller than others, and that one on the far left, in the second photo, looks huge! looks like that little fella or lady has been spending a lot of time at the milk bar!

is the momma a PEW? just wondering about the ear color, my girls have pink and white ears, my PEWS I mean
or is that dark color from being pregnant, like from hormones or something? (never had a pregnant rat and hope I never do, well, except that it would be nice to see newborns IRL so maybe some day I'd foster, but you know what I mean, I'm not gonna go and breed rats for sure!)

Petunia said:

as much as I am mourning the loss of fertility due to menopause, I don't think I could handle having a litter!
:laugh4:

glad you were able to rescue this girl and her babies. Wow some of those babies do look a lot smaller than others, and that one on the far left, in the second photo, looks huge! looks like that little fella or lady has been spending a lot of time at the milk bar!

is the momma a PEW? just wondering about the ear color, my girls have pink and white ears, my PEWS I mean
or is that dark color from being pregnant, like from hormones or something? (never had a pregnant rat and hope I never do, well, except that it would be nice to see newborns IRL so maybe some day I'd foster, but you know what I mean, I'm not gonna go and breed rats for sure!)

I think mama is a smeeze with a blaze.

Those are some insanely cute babies. So glad you were able to rescue them.

I think she's a hmi with a blaze...and she's sooo cute, as are her babies! They all look good, even the smaller ones since I am sure they didn't get the nutrition they shouldve got. They should all catch up soon under your loving care.

Congrats to Joanne, Petunia and her bubbers. :heart:

Petunia said:
She is the only rat who told me her name right away! I was driving home and started wondering about what to call her, and immediately 'I am a flower - Petunia is my name!' popped into my head. Go figure... Other times it has taken days to decide.

Joanne said:
Petunia said:
She is the only rat who told me her name right away! I was driving home and started wondering about what to call her, and immediately 'I am a flower - Petunia is my name!' popped into my head. Go figure... Other times it has taken days to decide.

oh wow, that's neat!
well, I think this girl needs one of my flower bed hammocks, I mean, from one Petunia to another...
:giggle:

can you PM me your address please? and I'll get one made up for the pretty girl and her babies.

Petunia said:
Joanne said:
Petunia said:

oh wow, that's neat!
well, I think this girl needs one of my flower bed hammocks, I mean, from one Petunia to another...
:giggle:

can you PM me your address please? and I'll get one made up for the pretty girl and her babies.
Thank you so much! I'm sure she will love it as she probably hasn't had a hammock before. :)

Today I trimmed her teeth with the help of a restraining friend. One lower incisor was long and both upper incisors were a bit long. I felt bad but it needed to be done. She seems to have a bit of space between her lower incisors so I wonder if this will be an ongoing problem. Her teeth are also very white. I am hoping that that will change with a proper diet but it may not. Poor little girl is still very nervous of me, trying to escape, but at least she didn't cry today when I picked her up. She's such an attentive mama, spending a lot of time with her babies. A lovely girl who just needs some TLC...

Some of those babies look like my Calla that I got from the Moncton Rat Train of 2008. We rarely see those patterns here in Ontario. Can you take a pic or at least a look at Petunia's rump to look for shading or a butt smudge? Still trying to determine if she's a smeeze.

lilspaz68 said:
Some of those babies look like my Calla that I got from the Moncton Rat Train of 2008. We rarely see those patterns here in Ontario. Can you take a pic or at least a look at Petunia's rump to look for shading or a butt smudge? Still trying to determine if she's a smeeze.

:shock:

sorry a little shock ran thru me when I read that..
honestly can you leave my butt alone already?? :laugh4:

Back