Otto and Wilbur Home...question for neuter-pros?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
They are looking so great, boy, what a scare we had. :(

Yeah I still honestly haven't relaxed after that one yet. Surgery with a competent vet is hard enough but this? :?

None of us are sure why the tail area was shaved. :roll:

THIS is what I am used to coming home with (my good vet who is now back)
Bearsincisiondayofneuter.jpg

I need to ask a question of rat neuter pro's. I am used to seeing the incision in the middle of the testicle sac. This vet did it at the end...which is shrivelling up, but the rest looks like a normal testicle. Is this normal? Could he have just snipped the spermatic cord or something like that instead of removing the testicles?

Will my boys be infertile at 3 weeks?

No pics til much later tonight

I just used paint to show you what was shrivelled, the rest looks/feels full and normal. Exactly as pictured here.

Wilbur2weeksafterneuter.jpg

The incisions are at the very end of the testicles? Very odd... my vet does it in the middle but I have had some rats' tip shrivel while the rest looked full but they did end up totally going away after a few months.

jorats said:
The incisions are at the very end of the testicles? Very odd... my vet does it in the middle but I have had some rats' tip shrivel while the rest looked full but they did end up totally going away after a few months.

tiny incisions too...near the end. I don't think he removed the testicles. How are rabbit neuters performed because I know he does those. Oh and Andrea (unglued) has neutered boys thru him and they are living with girls now for ages with no pregnancies *whew*

The only rat I ever had neutered had his incision at the end just like your boys do.

I have a question? The three girls I have had tumor removals on all took at least till the next morning to recover, most of them acted just like Wilbur in the video. Lilly had one tumor removed and by the time I picked her up at the vet she was more coherent and less wobbly than Ivy, but Ivy had two tumors removed. And Flower had a very large and en capsuled tumor removed. So I assumed that they were under for longer and that is why they were more out of it than Lilly. Should I be concerned about using this vet again? They all three came out of the surgery well and I just assumed that like a dog it usually takes about 8 to 12 hours for them to be normal again.

Hmmm...I find them quiet and a bit wobbly but not falling over for hours and hours when I brought girls home after removals.

I asked my good vet when I saw her and told her the boys symptomns, and she said that he used waaay too much anesthetic. My lovely boy Sebastian was under for over an hour and he wasn't like that at all. I think its how much is used more than how long.

Any chance you could ask Dr Munn and see what she thinks? Would she look/feel the rat and tell if he still has his parts? From my memory (and I know what they look like internally from necropsies through work), the doctor would have had to make the incision on the other end of the testicle (long ways) to get to the cord and sever it? Unless he did something to the epidydymus (sperm collection center runs along one side of each testicle) to stop it from working in that way.....really not sure. Strange though.

mamarat, Nickelrat and I have went through tons of surgeries and I can tell you, not one rat reacted like Wilbur in the video. They were groggy, yes, tired, sleepy but not confused and turning in circles, unbalanced. This would be a concern for me.
We've had rats undergo two tumour removal as well as a spay, all at the same time and still, nothing like Wilbur. Sven had his leg amputated and wanted to play a few hours after the surgery.
This is why I was so concerned with Wilbur.

I'm guessing the vet may have pulled the testicle out through the end... it doesn't take a very big incision to pop the testicle out and remove it... and then tie off the leftover bits.

Although, the surgery was 2 weeks ago so you would have thought if that was swelling it would have started to go down by now... what a nightmare Shelagh.

I'm glad to read that they are doing well now!

Lise said:
I'm guessing the vet may have pulled the testicle out through the end... it doesn't take a very big incision to pop the testicle out and remove it... and then tie off the leftover bits.

This is exactly what my vet did. My boy did not have swelling like that, a few days after his surgery all that was left was shriveled skin.

thank you moon for reminding me :)

They are showing more signs of shrinkage tonight than last night...finally...I was getting worried!!! :shock:
Otto
Otto-shrinkageafterneuter.jpg

Wilbur
Wilbur-shrinkageafterneuter.jpg

But I can definitely feel things in there on either side :(

Ahh well I await opinions yet again :)

and in the meantime....non-ballsy pics!! :mrgreen:

WilburandOtto.jpg

Wilbur-stoppushingOtto.jpg

tastymom.jpg

Ottoishandsome.jpg

Otto-scritching1.jpg

Otto-scritching2.jpg

With all respect to the intent of the thread, I've been single for 4 years and I've seen more um* maleness in the last 30 seconds than in all that time. Thanks for the thrill! :pilldance:

I have no idea.. But it seems odd that you would still feel the actual testicles still.

Oh they're gorgeous! And good progress on the shrivelling..... I love the way Otto's legs are always splyed out, and Wilbur tucks them in! So cute!

Ok heres my two cents lol :lol:
Well....isoflourine is a very safe (and the best in my opinion) anestetic gas.
Now about the groggyness (I suck at spelling) depending on what other anestetic the vet was using that wobbly look is normal. Also some animals just take longer to wake up then others. I have had animals go home normal and others groggy but by the next morning thier fine.
Metacam is a very good pain reliver and anti-inflamitory it won't cause any of the reactions you saw in your rats.
The over shaving is normal, I actually prefer too much shaving over too little since you can't properly steralize fur so shaving is very good for steralization purposes.
The shrinking.....some take longer than others but if it takes to long then you have to worry about either swelling or internal bleeding which will sometimes clot itself.
In all neuters the testicles are completely removed.
Incision site is just what a vet may be comfortable with. A tip, the center, or two incisions it dosen't make much of a difference.
If the "black one" was hard to handle then they should have wrapped him in a towel and gased him through a mask before injecting anestetic.
In the future be careful not to give them too much food after surgery just because the reaction with the anestetic can cause vomiting especially with isoflourine.
I am sure that the amount of anestetic they were given won't destroy his brain, it would take ALOT probably enough to kill him instead.
Make sure that a vet never lets the animals go home until they have recovered completely or until closing time. A drowzy animal is safer in a warm vet cage where he can quietly recover. I know this is hard but its best for them.
If it feels like the testicles are still there its usually just swelling, oral metacam is good for that.

I'm glad thier doing better! :D

Back