Otto and Wilbur Home...question for neuter-pros?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it is normal for some animals to be groggy after their surgery, in this case it was extreme. It had been several hours since they had finished the procedure and both rats were acting as if they had literally just been woken up. That's not normal. It's not okay for them to be falling down, stumbling, and generally out of it for 4+hrs after the procedure. If it had only been one of them, it could be a freak accident, or a very bad reaction on Wilbur's part, but it was both of them. Chances of two rats doing the exact same thing at the exact same time are pretty slim.

My girl Lil had a not so great reaction to the Iso my vet used during her spay. I picked her up 45min after she came out of surgery, and she was acting much like Wilbur was in his video. Within an hour of being home [nearly 2hrs out of surgery] she was perfectly normal. None of the other 3 spays I've had done with my current vet have had any issue like that, so I know my vet doesn't over gas them.

The vet is a cat/dog vet who I had to see because Dr. Munn wasn't available. He uses Isoflurane, I have been back there holding my rats as he put them to sleep, BUT I noticed that even with a euth he overgassed them and the first rat he did (I didn't go out back with him until Ortiz) came back reeking of gas. My little Portia, he kept going and going even thought I told him she was completely out three times.

Btw this vet (I found out) pulls out dosages from the air. I heard he gave one rat a dosage of doxy 72 times strength what it should've been (doxy should be 2.5-5 mg/kg) ! A friend of mine caught it and corrected the dosage. My little Mattie girl was sent home with bruxxy with a needle syringe of Injectable Ivermectin with the amount of .25 cc's in it, and the directions to put it all on the back of her neck. Ivermectin you have to be very careful with and her dosage for her weight should've been .02 cc's. Plus she would need at least another dose in 7-10 days. Ugh...and so on and so on.

That is why I am questioning things so much on my boy's behalf. :(

javakittie said:
While it is normal for some animals to be groggy after their surgery, in this case it was extreme. It had been several hours since they had finished the procedure and both rats were acting as if they had literally just been woken up. That's not normal. It's not okay for them to be falling down, stumbling, and generally out of it for 4+hrs after the procedure. If it had only been one of them, it could be a freak accident, or a very bad reaction on Wilbur's part, but it was both of them. Chances of two rats doing the exact same thing at the exact same time are pretty slim.

My girl Lil had a not so great reaction to the Iso my vet used during her spay. I picked her up 45min after she came out of surgery, and she was acting much like Wilbur was in his video. Within an hour of being home [nearly 2hrs out of surgery] she was perfectly normal. None of the other 3 spays I've had done with my current vet have had any issue like that, so I know my vet doesn't over gas them.

The vet should have never let her home until she was fully awake let alone 45 mins later!I'm sorry but that was very bad on the vets part. As hard as it is to see the stumbling it is perfectly normal all animals do it and sometimes dogs even scream as they are very confused and scared. It's all normal from coming out of it. The reason why he was stummbling was because he didn't have proper time to rest. Most animals will sleep until they are ready to just lay there then they will eventually start to walk around thier cage normally. He shouldn't have let your boys go home until they were ok thats so bad on his part.
I'm sorry I had no idea that they have no gag reflex, they vets i worked for never told me :(

lilspaz68 said:
The vet is a cat/dog vet who I had to see because Dr. Munn wasn't available. He uses Isoflurane, I have been back there holding my rats as he put them to sleep, BUT I noticed that even with a euth he overgassed them and the first rat he did (I didn't go out back with him until Ortiz) came back reeking of gas. My little Portia, he kept going and going even thought I told him she was completely out three times.

Btw this vet (I found out) pulls out dosages from the air. I heard he gave one rat a dosage of doxy 72 times strength what it should've been (doxy should be 2.5-5 mg/kg) ! A friend of mine caught it and corrected the dosage. My little Mattie girl was sent home with bruxxy with a needle syringe of Injectable Ivermectin with the amount of .25 cc's in it, and the directions to put it all on the back of her neck. Ivermectin you have to be very careful with and her dosage for her weight should've been .02 cc's. Plus she would need at least another dose in 7-10 days. Ugh...and so on and so on.

That is why I am questioning things so much on my boy's behalf. :(
It sounds like a bad vet. If your that concerned I'd complain to the OVA.
I'm sorry I just didn't want you to worry as much as you were because all of what you saw was normal. And if it was an overdose it wouldn't hurt him that badly. :D

Cherubim, I certainly am glad to read your hands on experience with the anesthesia.

It really does help to know the "technical" side of it all, explained like that.

These 2 boys were my 7th and 8th neuters, and NONE ever acted like that even 22 month old Sebastian. They weren't even awake until 2 hours after the procedure...they told me this on the phone. That's when my worry started. :(

jorats said:
Cherubim, I certainly am glad to read your hands on experience with the anesthesia.

It really does help to know the "technical" side of it all, explained like that.

Didn't mean to make you think I wasn't grateful for your info too, Cherubim, just wanted to let you know about the vomiting!! :D

mamarat2 said:
jorats said:

Didn't mean to make you think I wasn't grateful for your info too, Cherubim, just wanted to let you know about the vomiting!! :D
No problem. I just had read over my stuff and realized that I sounded quite harsh and I didn't mean to :oops:
sorry everyone!

Back