OSPCA to investigate Toronto Humane Society

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, the reality is that shelters euthanize animals - plain and simple. Even if they don't euthanize for space issues, they all euthanize ill and anti social animals.
There are over half a million stray cats on the streets of Toronto, with dozens more being surrendered to shelters and animal control on a weekly basis. This IS NOT going to stop, it is just getting worse and worse each year. Don't blame the shelters because they are the last people who should be taking the blame for members of our community being irresponsible with their companion animals. It is up to every one of us to ensure that euthanization technicians are out of a job in the future because it is members of our community who are the ones who guarantee they have jobs to go to.
The only animals that I know of that are being put down are special needs animals that will require, sometimes expensive and intense, medical attention for the remainder of their lives and animals that have extreme aggression issues. Some of these animals have been kept in cages for literally years - cages no larger than you would find in a puppy/kitten mill. They don't have any quality of life and they just aren't getting adopted or fostered.
Some of them are getting out because they are in peril, and that is great, but no shelter can be in a position where they close their doors to animals coming in because their cages are full of sick and aggressive animals - which is exactly what has been happening down there. The THS became the equivalent of a large scale hoarder - taking in completely unadoptable and sick animals and not being able to keep up with their care or unable to provide any quality of life at all.
If people are outraged, that's good because you can put your anger to good use here. Don't buy animals from petstores and breeders. Don't shop in ANY petstores that sell ANY types of animals. Spay and neuter ALL your cats and dogs and don't let them out to roam the streets. Encourage friends/family/coworkers/forum and internet friends to always consider adopting an animal from a local shelter if they are searching for a companion. If you can foster, then go in and sign yourself up. If you can provide an appropriate home for a special needs animal, then adopt one because almost no homes turn down young, healthy animals for special needs ones. Put all that anger and frustration to good use and get animals out of shelters and into homes because euthanization is not going to end any time soon.

Vanessa said:
Don't blame the shelters because they are the last people who should be taking the blame for members of our community being irresponsible with their companion animals.

I have only just seen your post Vanessa but agree with it greatly

Vanessa your words are passionate and very very true. It's sad to say but a lot of animals just can't be rehomed or were abused or maltreated in general and due to sickness, age, or temperment, have to be put down. We aren't saving them by letting them live out their lives in little cages waiting to be adopted yet being passed up every time. It's a bit disheartening sometimes when a person realizes this but we can't ignore the truth of it. Either these agreesive, unfit animals stay in cages forever and take up needed resources and are unable to be recooperated for animal/pet life, or they are sent on to a better life at the bridge.
It's one of the reasons why I look into helping at the local shelters, because maybe, with a little more help, a little less animals will be euthanized for their actions because there are more there to take their time to try to help. Not everyone can but that doesn't mean we won't try.

You're right on Little_Vixen. One of the reasons I joined the THS protest group was because it broke my heart to see a room full of sad, sick and aggresive pit-bulls who were facing a life sentence of solitary confinement and loneliness. I adopted one but what about the rest? No one was coming for them... Most of them were already verging on insane when I saw them 2 years ago. I can't imagine what kind of mental horror they're living now. :sad3:

I've seen first hand how a shelter works and its unfortunate but true that sometimes animals that in a "perfect world" could be adopted out are pts. There is simply not enough time and money to work with the animals one on one and fix all their behavioral problems. We had a wonderful kitty come into our shelter as a stray, but she required a leg amputation for a horrible injury, and then got ill, before it could be done. Despite being a well tempered cat she was let go peacefully because of the resources required to treat her, and then what are the chances of an older 3 legged cat getting adopted over all the other beautiful younger cats. Even if you can't foster or take in another animal go volunteer! Even if you just go and clean cages. When there are no volunteers to clean cages the shelter staff have to spend the majority of their time whipping through cages as quickly as possible so they can fit it all in plus their other duties. Even having 1 or 2 people show up to clean cages, means each cat gets more socialization, a little more free time to run around while the cage is being cleaned, and is much more well behaved when potential adopters show up. You would be AMAZED how much 10 minutes of freedom and love makes to a cat in a shelter. You can go into an adoption room and the cats are upset, and meowing and just mad. After some out time and love and a tidied up cage they are much more loving and calm. Even if you don't want to go clean cages, many shelters are happy even if you want to go socialize the cats that have been there longer then others.

Wonder if it's gonna hit Countdown or the Rachel Maddow Show (both on MSNBC, my two favorite podcasts) since it's hit MSNBC proper...

So glad another idiot got arrested, too!

I spoke to two ladies in the pharmacy the other day - one helps out with a dog rescue, and she was vaguely familiar with the rat rescuers (i.e. y'all :) )

They stole their name from the name of the protest groups blog, we have nothing to do with any of the 'Save the THS' group running for the new Board of Directors.

Is the THS going to go from 'the frying pan into the fire' with the new 'Save the THS' slate? Will claims of being affiliated with the old guard plague their campaign? Read for yourself at...

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...e-society-election-begins-so-does-controversy

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/04/27/ths-board.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...oard-race-draws-50-contenders/article1547879/

Yay! Figures that the interim president would have charges laid against him too... but hopefully Mr. Trow will never dig himself out of this hole...

What's it looking like in terms of what slate or part of each slate will get elected?

Back