OSPCA to investigate Toronto Humane Society

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa

Hmmmm, can I say that I saw this coming? They need to get rid of that mouthpiece lawyer Tim Trow and get someone running the place who is more concerned about the animals and less concerned about bettering their law careers at the expense of the animals.
Sad situation, but from what I have heard it is a long time coming...

To see some photos, which according to the site might be disturbing, and to read accounts of people please visit...

Humane_society_To_51321gm-a.jpg

Globe and Mail series prompts emergency board meeting of the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; will consider suspension of Toronto shelter's affiliate status

Kate Hammer

Toronto — Globe and Mail Update, Monday, Jun. 01, 2009 12:20PM EDT

The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced today that it will be investigating allegations of inappropriate conduct at the Toronto Humane Society.

A spokesperson for the OSPCA said The Globe and Mail's three-part series has prompted the organization to call an emergency meeting of its board of directors.

The twelve directors will determine whether to suspend the THS's affiliate status with the OSPCA, which would suspend the society's ability to conduct cruelty investigation. Directors will also consider pursuing an animal cruelty investigation of the THS.

“The allegations raised in the Globe and Mail's investigative report relate directly to the welfare of animals and as such require the Ontario SPCA to investigate through its mandate under the Ontario SPCA Act,” Hugh Coghill, Chief Inspector for the Ontario SPCA, said in a statement.

Internal documents and interviews with current and former employees and volunteers reveal that the Toronto Humane Society is a shelter in crisis. Veterinarians told The Globe that animals die suffering unnecessarily in their cages, significant amounts of money are spent on litigation, and the opinions of veterinary professionals are dismissed.

“We are extremely concerned to learn that an Affiliate is alleged to be conducting business in this manner. We will be consulting immediately with all stakeholders to ensure that conditions under which animals are kept at the Toronto Humane Society are in compliance with the policies and bylaws of the Ontario SPCA as is required by Affiliated Societies,” Kate MacDonald, CEO for the Ontario SPCA, said in a statement released this morning.

Someone from THS was on 102.1 The Edge the other day. Apparently someone had confused THS and TAS and they were all up in arms.

He kept putting jabs in about TAS and they made it sound like THS is the best thing ever, they do no wrong. I was pretty pissed. I am going to email this article to them.

oh my goodness!
this is terrible! i had heard some rumours going around about this type of thing.. but i had no idea it was to this extent.
the pictures are terrible and the warning should be heeded.
breaks my heart to pieces.

All I am going to say is FINALLY!!

Goodbye Mr Trow, I hope you die in a ditch with thousands of feral cats eating you alive! Probably kittens from the cats you stopped spaying and neutering in your oh so wonderful program! :redhot:

lilspaz68 said:
All I am going to say is FINALLY!!

Goodbye Mr Trow, I hope you die in a ditch with thousands of feral cats eating you alive! Probably kittens from the cats you stopped spaying and neutering in your oh so wonderful program! :redhot:

And I thought I was being harsh! Hahahaha! That is a lovely picture you have painted for me to fall asleep to tonight - thank you Shelagh. :joy:

As soon as they started posting all those stats on the THS website, comparing the THS euthanization numbers to those of the TAS branches, I knew it wouldn't be long before we heard stories of animals suffering and Trow refusing to allow them to be put down. He couldn't risk the evil reputation he had built for himself. Then, lo and behold, stories started surfacing of exactly that.
Then to spend thousands and thousands of dollars fighting to not destroy one extremely aggressive dog who was deemed to be a danger, at the expense of all the other animals in the shelter who could have gotten better care with it, is absolutely criminal.
I would like to see him sued for all the money he wasted that was made in donations by people who thought it was being used to provide adequate care for the animals. Now they are going to learn that Trow used it for useless litigation to keep his law skills honed for when he sucked all he could from the animals and went back to private practise.
Tim Trow is a foul, evil, disgusting creature and I hope he rots for this.

I don't know what to say.......it is unbelievable. What the hell is wrong with that man??? He actually said it was "normal for kittens to die" OMG......those poor animals.

I am so furious over this that words fail me. The only ones who are going to suffer are the animals. The THS has been around for over a hundred years, and Torontonians need an alternative to animal control to be around, and he has tarnished their reputation beyond repair. The OSPCA shouldn't remove their affiliation, they should remove Trow and get someone else appointed as President. Removing their affiliation is going to be the nail in the coffin for the THS.
After my horrific run in with him, over the insane 'Free Weekends' adoptions and the conditions that the rats were being kept in, I wrote to every animal welfare organization in this country (and outside of it) that I could come up with. I told them my story, the conditions that I witnessed, and the threats that Trow hurled at me in the lobby of that building - and got no replies from anyone! This was years ago now and it is just as much the fault of the OSPCA for allowing it to continue without trying to do something about him. These conditions have been well documented forever by former employees and volunteers. Vets have been speaking out against him for years. When they went on strike, the stories being told on that website were atrocious!
I am thinking that I should maybe start an online petition somewhere to get him removed.

There was an amazing website started in 2006 because of a strike by workers for better treatment for them and animals, the stories were just more of this, but from former employees, veterinarians, management, etc...Plus I knew a few volunteers myself.

But here for the people who love numbers...today's article
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1164168/

And for people who aren't local, the Globe and Mail is a highly respected Toronto newspaper that deals more with business than humanity articles... :thumbup:

How can stuff like this happen for so long :redhot: How can people work there and volunteer there and see all this with their own two eyes and go home and sleep at night? The Toronto Humane Society is there to HELP & PROTECT these poor helpless animals. Instead they are trapped in a cage to die alone and in pain. The filthy conditions these poor animals live in, I just don't know what to say...makes me SICK and frustrated that stuff like this can happen and for so long. :sad3:

RattyLoverMama said:
How can stuff like this happen for so long :redhot: How can people work there and volunteer there and see all this with their own two eyes and go home and sleep at night? The Toronto Humane Society is there to HELP & PROTECT these poor helpless animals. Instead they are trapped in a cage to die alone and in pain. The filthy conditions these poor animals live in, I just don't know what to say...makes me SICK and frustrated that stuff like this can happen and for so long. :sad3:

Dozens of people spoke up about it, and it was one of the reasons given for the huge strike that the employees had a couple of years back.
The problem is that Tim Trow is a lawyer, and he terriorizes and threatens everyone. He has the Board of Directors terrified.
Everyone knew about it. It was up to organizations like the OSPCA to step in a long time ago and they never did.

Dozens of people spoke up about it, and it was one of the reasons given for the huge strike that the employees had a couple of years back.
The problem is that Tim Trow is a lawyer, and he terriorizes and threatens everyone. He has the Board of Directors terrified.
Everyone knew about it. It was up to organizations like the OSPCA to step in a long time ago and they never did.[/quote]

Well I say we take Tim Trow :redhot: and throw him into a real small cage with no food or water and let him stew in his own feces. Let him suffer the way he let all these poor helpless animals suffer. Lock him up and throw away the key. Hopefully everyone (OSPCA) responsible for this tragedy will pay dearly for it. Sad that things like this can happen :sad3:

Back