OSPCA to investigate Toronto Humane Society

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I should put an update in: they've postponed the re-opening of the THS pending certification by the College of Vets of Ontario (the fact that they don't have it is deeply disturbing...)

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/toronto ... itely?bn=1

Looks like the whole "Faces of Change" slate got voted in - all the moldies are gone, so here's hoping for better results!

And Michael Downey, president of Tennis Canada, is the new President.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... ident?bn=1

So much for justice.

The Crown has dropped all charges against six former leaders of the Toronto Humane Society, including erstwhile president Tim Trow.

The Crown told a courtroom at Old City Hall on Monday morning that there were several legal problems with a November raid by the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals that led to the charges against the five senior members of the society.

Some of the problems include seizures that were too broad and the presence of the media at various times during the execution of the search warrant, the Crown said.

The provincial agency took over the humane society on Nov. 26, 2009, after a much-publicized raid. Investigators found animals were neglected at the shelter, with some being left to die in cages without proper care and nutrition.

Five senior officials were charged with animal cruelty:

* President Tim Trow.
* General manager Gary McCracken.
* Head veterinarian Dr. Steve Sheridan.
* Supervisor Andy Bechtel.
* Manager Romeo Bernadino.

Charges against Trow, McCracken, Bechtel and Bernadino also included obstruction of a peace officer.

Members of the society's board of directors were charged with five counts of animal cruelty, a provincial offence under the Ontario SPCA Act.

Vijay Kumar, another society leader, was charged later with animal cruelty. All those charges have now been dropped.

The humane society reopened its River Street shelter on June 28, seven months after it was closed following the raid. A new board and president, Michael Downey, is now in charge, and the shelter's veterinary clinic has been reaccredited by the College of Veterinarians.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/ ... z0wn1qJvJZ

I was at the farm when I heard about this - I was just about shouting at the television during the 6 o'clock news, then treated my grandmother to an in-depth description of all of the horrible things Trow did or allowed/encouraged to happen, and how he really should be treated like he treated the shelter animals...

i was playing xbox when my friend called and told me this..... my xbox party had to deal with me ranting for a hour or so but they enjoyed it they took the time to ask me random questions to see how i would answer them, they got a laugh i got a vent, more importantly people from all over north america and europe think that them being released off charges was COMPLETE BS! :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Those stupid... I am appalled. I am fuming. I do not know how to express my rage.

And if the press wasn't there and the SPCA not open with the press, they would have been accused of not being open enough and trumping up charges more than they already were. I don't know what hell these people want.

Back