Oscar and Tommy - Fantastic Update!!! :D 12/18/12

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I put on my Petunia Bonding Scarf to see how Oscar would be...he did very well as I was cleaning their cage...the 2 gentle boys were on the bed, and he was with me. I even put him on the table because he kept trying to get back into his cage and I couldn't allow it yet.

He did so well, that I left him on my shoulder and came here. He got a bit tense and started chattering his teeth, so I just left him to work through it and he did. He went under the folds and I felt him grooming himself and relaxing. He was fine with me cuddling my face up to him and kissing his side when it was nearby and gentle pressure/pats on his head was okay too.

I even captured proof :joy:

jun25Oscaronmyshoulder.jpg

jun25Oscaronmyshoulder2.jpg

So then I put him on the desk waiting for him to chatter and look like a tense dunny brush...

Well there was some rubbing, and chewing

jun25Oscaronthedesk4.jpg

and some side scratching

jun25Oscaronthedesk2.jpg

but his fur was mostly down, and there was exploring and bright eyes as well

jun25Oscaronthedesk3.jpg

jun25Oscaronthedesk5.jpg

jun25Oscaronthedesk.jpg

:dance: :heart: :heart:

Huge breakthrough with Oscar this weekend...he finally softened his hatred against me. I had him out on Saturday on the bed and he was toddling and sniffing bare flesh and I just waited and tried not to cringe. Nothing. Sunday I had him and Tommy out again, and they just curled up happily in the blankets. Later on they got to meet the Overnighters. They thought Shimei was fascinating, Keiran and Bean were fine (Oscar was actually attempting to hump Keiran who ignored him because he was eating baby cereal LOL), and Cesar was scary. Cesar always makes sure newbies KNOW who is boss, and Oscar got pinned many times...lots of shrieking but nothing else. For that he scuttled to me and asked me to save him. I reached over and was scratching the back of his neck, a spot that is easy for a hand to get away from if he decides we are back to hating me LOL. He pancaked...huh? Then I got distracted and realized that I was scratching an itchy side, and he was curling around and licking me!! I almost died in happiness. From there it went in happy leaps and bounds (at least in our minds).

Last night he's really relaxed. Cesar has made his point so now he's not scary anymore and even Norbert has stopped shrieking :)

dec18Oscar4.jpg

dec18Oscar2.jpg

Ear rubs are goooooood. :D

dec18Oscar3.jpg

and here is your comparison pic

Nov. 11th, just starting to let me touch him, but you can see he's enduring not enjoying :roll:
nov11Oscar.jpg

Last night

I thought at one point he was going to boggle his eyes out of his head!

dec18Oscar.jpg

The funniest thing was I woke up to Bean on my chest and washing my face and reached down to pat the bugger, and realized it was Oscar! He kept crawling up to lick me. :shock: :shock:

:joy:
YAY!!
It's a hard fought battle and I'm glad you came out the victor.
Sweet babies all of them.
A LOT of hard work for you but worth it when they finally come around. :heart:
May I ask what is Petunia's Bonding Scarf?
Nubbies needs one.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
May I ask what is Petunia's Bonding Scarf?
Nubbies needs one.

Its basically a Ratoob (you can google that one) but Petunia makes them. They aren't really a fashion statement but they are fantastic when you have a nervous rat you want on/near you but they are scared of hands. In the darkness they feel safer. I have used it for babies and scared adults and its also really good when you have an oldie who wants to be with you all the time...and you can keep your hands free to do other things.

Continuation of the pics now...I am just so incredibly happy. When that lightbulb went off ov3er Oscar's head, it must've been a 1000 watt bulb!! Now he is happiest ON me or near me, but I have to be touching him. :dance:

He's just so content in his eyes and even if he had to leave us tomorrow I would be fine with it.

beside me last night as we watched the Raptors win...again! That is a miracle in itself :cheeky:

dec19Oscar3.jpg

Tommy, still a worrier but relaxing a bit more that Oscar is relaxed too.

dec19Tommy.jpg

I didn't have Milupa (no probiotics) for them this morning, so they got stuck with Carnation Instant Breakfast instead...he doesn't seem to mind much. :giggle:

dec19Oscar.jpg

But then he left his breakfast because *I* was there and hauled himself across the bed to get to me

Ahhhh...better. :mrgreen:

dec19Oscar2.jpg

and finally, full belly, warm heart...time to snooze with his brother.

dec19TommyandOscar.jpg

Tommy is starting to really relax now as well. :D

dec20Tommy2.jpg

dec20Tommy.jpg

and Oscar adores Keiran, gentle licky comforting Keiran :heart:

I constantly look at Oscar's face now and wonder "who is this boy?" Without all the tension, fear and anger, he looks completely different. :heart:

dec20OscarwithKeiran.jpg

Back