Oscar and Tommy - Fantastic Update!!! :D 12/18/12

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad, bad Oscar! Your role is to protect your brothers, not attack them! And you have to pick on poor Cecil who's been going through so much lately? Even try hard to bite your Goddess Shelagh? Bad, bad boy! :scolding:

I really hope you guys will be able to bring his aggression down. Must not be very enjoyable for Oscar either. :(

lilspaz68 said:
He's 25 months old, none of them are particularly healthy so I don't want to consider a standard neuter. I was hoping you might do a chemical neuter and/or try the amitriptyline like we used to help Eli over his aggressive phase and to smooth out his anxieties.

So sorry to hear of Oscar's aggression. It's somewhat mystifying to me -- seems counter-intuitive. I'd have expected him to be more protective of his brothers if anything..

This is the first time I've heard of a chemical neuter and of amitriptyline. Are these new methods Or maybe only used when surgery is not desirable?

We used the drug amitriptyline on Eli after he became insanely aggressive after seizures. It was supposed to smooth out his anxieties and it really worked.

Chemical castration would be used for males that are too old or too sick to have surgery. It's not common but it definitely happens :)

Since everyone else is getting pics I wanted to add these of

Tommy
jan18Tommy.jpg

and Loki
jan18Loki.jpg

Yeah definitely NOT Oscar's pink shell ears...he got me finally. He kept approaching me and I kept putting him on the floor. Finally he came up behind my head and launched himself at my hand. Sigh :undecided:

jan18Oscarbite.jpg

Ouch that boy was out to get you.... Want to borrow pika? she has been know to wrestle a boy or two?

Oscar seems much more relaxed with Cecil out of the cage...his brothers are still a little wary around him but not in the same way. We are working on a new thing for Oscar's Out time. The 2 boys will run out here, and Oscar will get blocked into the bedroom so he can huff at those rats instead. I will put him back 15 minutes earlier than the others so he settles down and doesn't go off on them as soon as they are put back. So far so good.

lilspaz68 said:
We are working on a new thing for Oscar's Out time. The 2 boys will run out here, and Oscar will get blocked into the bedroom so he can huff at those rats instead.

lol ... sounds like he's one of those grumpy old men who just HAS to huff and puff at someone! :laugh4:

Glad you've found something that's working better. Did you end up giving him meds to mellow him out?

No I haven't gone that route, unless I truly have to. He has settled down in-cage and if I can just avoid him biting me, I should be able to deal with him until he is a lot older and gives up on that phase or until he passes LOL

Strikes me as one of those angry old men who shouts at kids to 'get off my lawn!'. Poor boy to think he needs to bite you! And poor you for getting bitten! Sneaky sneaky Oscar...

Oscar has an appointment on Monday (along with Yara and her spay) to see Dr Munn and hopefully get some mood-altering drugs. :cheeky:

Tonight he decided that the empty gingerale bottle needed a lesson. (don't mind the mess on the floor, I am in the middle of cleaning cages, and I don't vacuum til I am done)

jan28Oscar4.jpg

jan28Oscar.jpg

jan28Oscar3.jpg

Take that Bottle!! :redhot:

jan28Oscar2.jpg

All 3 boys have respiratory issues that just won't quit, with congestion being the main thing. I nebulized them in a group of 3 tonight and they didn't like it but there was no fear poop and they filed out in an orderly fashion once the door was open on the carrier :D THEN we had our photoshoot. :giggle:

Well the amitriptyline was a bust for Oscar, so now I am just giving him a little Rescue Remedy about 1/2 an hour before Out time...he still gets riled but its not so manic :)

mar3Oscar.jpg

mar3Oscar2.jpg

Tommy is really settling down for me...he's becoming very trusting. :D

mar3Tommy2.jpg

mar3Tommy.jpg

and Loki...ahhh Loki my wee sickie. :mrgreen: He's got the same gentle nature his brother Cecil had and is starting to look at me in the same way.

mar3Loki.jpg

mar3Loki2.jpg

mar3Loki3.jpg

:heart: :heart:

Back