Olive has a Facial Mass. R.I.P Cheeky Girlie. :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from seeing Dr. Luckwaldt.
It seems that my Olive has a tumor. :cry4:
It has eaten away all her teeth on the right side with the exception of her front tooth.
There is nothing to be done but to keep her comfortable.
The bulge under her eye socket is thought to be puss or could be tumor.
Taking a biopsy is an unneeded expense.
Olive can eat Harlan using her teeth on the left side though softening it up will be easier to eat.
She has been give Clavamox to keep infection at bay. Side view shows the teeth on the left side tho the right ones are gone.[URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/sharleegirl/media/TreolarOlive042313003.jpg.html] Top view of her skull showing the difference between the right and left sides. Photo using the scope shows the absence of teeth on the right side with Cauliflower like protrusions where the teeth were which if I remember correctly is the cancer. I can't remember all that was said so maybe someone else could explain it better?

On a funny note:
Dropping off Olive and Nubbies last night was uneventful until I removed the blanket around the cage to say goodbye.
It seems like Olive had diarrhea REALLY BAD and her and Nubbies were litterally COVERED. :shock:
Even in Olives ears. :roll:
Covered the cage, bars blankets and food. :sick2:
Kinda like giving the babysitter a fully loaded baby and leaving. :lol:
Pity the poor soul who had to scrub crap off the little stinkers. :giggle:
Needless to say I didn't kiss them goodbye. :D

I am SO sorry, Sharlee.

Edit: sorry, I misread part of what you wrote about the bulge on the left side. I guess abscess or tumor, neither one is good on that side, but obviously the right side is even worse off. When I saw the x-ray from above my nose hurt in sympathy, because it looked like part of her nose bone had broken or something.

I know you'll make Olive so comfy she'll barely even notice what's going on, sweetie - and just remember, we are ALL here for you and Olive.

M0onkist said:
I am SO sorry, Sharlee.

Edit: sorry, I misread part of what you wrote about the bulge on the left side. I guess abscess or tumor, neither one is good on that side, but obviously the right side is even worse off. When I saw the x-ray from above my nose hurt in sympathy, because it looked like part of her nose bone had broken or something.

I know you'll make Olive so comfy she'll barely even notice what's going on, sweetie - and just remember, we are ALL here for you and Olive.

Olive only notices when it's breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between. :lol:
Oh and anything Nubbies has that she doesn't. :roll:
I'll ask Dr. Munn on Friday what pain meds I should give her.
Nubbies has "stink eye" and needs his eyes flushed again. :gaah:
Just did it last Thursday.
My poor sassy pants Olive. :(

I am so very sorry ....
Hope that Olive has some good quality time left with you.
btw, my rats love lab block mush ... maybe Olive will as well

Oh that is such crappy news...
I hope you can keep her comfortable and happy to spend more time with you before she is called to the Bridge.
It so sucks knowing there's nothing that can fix her.
Our thoughts are with you... :hugs:

Was she poop-free when you picked her up? LOL

I am so sorry. Lets hope that you will have a bit of good time with her. It is great that she has an appetite and can eat on one side. Lab block mush is great for rats who have trouble eating.

Joanne said:
Oh that is such crappy news...
I hope you can keep her comfortable and happy to spend more time with you before she is called to the Bridge.
It so sucks knowing there's nothing that can fix her.
Our thoughts are with you... :hugs:

Was she poop-free when you picked her up? LOL

Kinda. :giggle:
They washed her off when she was knocked out.

Poor Olive, pooped herself out. LOL

At this point you can add a bit of Ensure the block powder as I am sure she won't be able to eat anything hard

All I shall say is Olive was a lucky girl you were her mom. Make every day count from now on. Whatever she likes to do, etc...

I went through this with my beloved Bronny over 4 years ago...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9844&hilit=bronny+teeth

lilspaz68 said:
Poor Olive, pooped herself out. LOL

At this point you can add a bit of Ensure the block powder as I am sure she won't be able to eat anything hard

All I shall say is Olive was a lucky girl you were her mom. Make every day count from now on. Whatever she likes to do, etc...

I went through this with my beloved Bronny over 4 years ago...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9844&hilit=bronny+teeth

Ensure and block powder had Olive going :batbeat:
She's picky but too much cereal has given her tummy issues.
I fear Nubbies may never recover from the "poop incident." :giggle:
Olive lives everyday to the fullest.
She doesn't have a slow button.
When it comes to Olive I'm the lucky one.
She's a once in a lifetime gal.
Bronny's story could be Olive's.
I don't know how you can do what you do everyday all day.
5 sick ratties and I'm a basket case.
Out of all the ratties I've had I've only had one die of old age. :shock:
Delilah wasn't sick at all.
The many others?
So many illnesses.
I wanted Olive to go as an old mellow lady.
Not once has she sat still long enough to cuddle and go to sleep.
Just so you know Olive has done what ever she's wanted from the start. :lol:
Time to give her and the crew meds.
They :heart: :heart: pudding.
Thanx Shelagh. :cuddle:

When I gave Olive meds this morning she looked the same.
Holly took her out about a half an hour ago she had grown a round lump by her mouth.
Her eye socket bulge is a lot bigger as well. :shock:
Vets say's it's the cancer.
She has mouth ulcers.
I thought maybe it was that. :cry: My little chickie girl is going to leave me sooner than I thought. :sad3:
I
Nubbies. :heart: :heart:
His other eye is a stinky mess.
UPDATE:
Took me awhile to post this.
The facial lumps are worse. :shock:
She is sleeping beside me with her head tucked under her bum folded over. :(
I see Dr. Munn Friday morning.

:hugs: I'm so sorry about Olive...but it seems like you're both very lucky to have found each other.

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry.

She's on a lot of metacam though, right? At least there's that, so you know she can't be ridiculously uncomfortable.

I hope the swelling does go down a little bit, for her ease and your peace of mind!

Unfortunately the prognosis isn't good. :(
Olive is losing her amazing balance and her ability to eat properly.
She seems confused and it's breaking my heart. :sad3:
Olive will be going to Dr. Munn's tomorrow with Nubbies and won't be coming home. :cry4:

Back