Olive has a Facial Mass. R.I.P Cheeky Girlie. :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharlees rattakisses

I have been away from home for 12 days housesitting for my good friend Jane.
As some of you may know Olive has been steadily losing weight.
She has been eating baby cereal with olive oil and apple sauce and tho I see a little improvement I am still worried.
Today I noticed her face looked odd and I realized that there is a lump going from the end of her mouth upwards the ear. :sad3:
It's very hard not at all like an abscess.
This is probably why she hasn't been eating normally. :(
Jim works 6-6 now so I have made an appointment for Friday when he's off.
I am SO upset.
My three fat bottom boys will be leaving me sometime this month and now Olive. :cry4:
Nubbies is wheezing with debris in his eyes. :gaah:
I hope Dr. Munn can help. :heart:

Sharlees rattakisses said:
She has been eating baby cereal with olive oil and apple sauce and tho I see a little improvement I am still worried.
Today I noticed her face looked odd and I realized that there is a lump going from the end of her mouth upwards the ear. :sad3:
I am SO upset.
My three fat bottom boys will be leaving me sometime this month and now Olive. :cry4:

Can you take a pic of Olive's cheek? do you need me to come by and check out your babies for you?

lilspaz68 said:
I am SO upset.

Can you take a pic of Olive's cheek? do you need me to come by and check out your babies for you?

I will take a pix when Holly comes home so she can hold her.
I would LOVE for you to come!!!
You have your own ratties to worry about. :(
I'm just so sad that this has happened to my Olive.
It's breaking my heart. :sad3:

It might be the start of a Zymbal's gland tumour. It's been a while but I've had a couple rats get those. It's usually one cheek (Now that I think of it, I think all of them were on the left side of the face bit that's probably just a coincidence...) that swells up and gets quite hard.

As I recall, unfortunately, there's not a lot that can be done for them. Every time I've dealt with them, I was given pain meds, told to give soft foods (because the placement makes it hard for them to chew) and to monitor quality of life.

Bamboo said:
It might be the start of a Zymbal's gland tumour. It's been a while but I've had a couple rats get those. It's usually one cheek (Now that I think of it, I think all of them were on the left side of the face bit that's probably just a coincidence...) that swells up and gets quite hard.

As I recall, unfortunately, there's not a lot that can be done for them. Every time I've dealt with them, I was given pain meds, told to give soft foods (because the placement makes it hard for them to chew) and to monitor quality of life.

:sad3: I'm seeing Dr. Munn on Friday but I know the news will be awful.
Thanx for you help Bamboo. :hugs:

lilspaz68 said:
Its too low for Zymbals...that is more something to do with the jaw like a tooth issue/abscess *whew*

Shelagh have you had this issue before?

Zymbals? no...but I have helped a lot of people through it. The location is where the teeth are. Can you smell her mouth, see if you smell infection, if her teeth are misaligned yet. Check to see if the lump is hard or squishy?

Poor little Olive, I do hope she will be ok your lucky you have a really good vet, wishing all the best for Friday.

lilspaz68 said:
lilspaz68 said:
Its too low for Zymbals...that is more something to do with the jaw like a tooth issue/abscess *whew*

Shelagh have you had this issue before?

Zymbals? no...but I have helped a lot of people through it. The location is where the teeth are. Can you smell her mouth, see if you smell infection, if her teeth are misaligned yet. Check to see if the lump is hard or squishy?

I can smell something but it's very faint.
I can't get a look in her mouth to look at her teeth she is fighting me.
The lump is hard.

Get the vet to look inside the mouth, if possible and do a fine needle aspiration of the lump. Could be tooth, could be abcess. A boy of mine had bone tumor a few years ago; felt a hard lump below the jaw, but yours is much higher. I'd be inclined to say infection'abcess that needs draining or a tooth removed. Fingers crossed; sending healing wishes to you and your little one. It's SO hard to go through these times. My heart is with you. :hugs:

Carol Weekes said:
Get the vet to look inside the mouth, if possible and do a fine needle aspiration of the lump. Could be tooth, could be abcess. A boy of mine had bone tumor a few years ago; felt a hard lump below the jaw, but yours is much higher. I'd be inclined to say infection'abcess that needs draining or a tooth removed. Fingers crossed; sending healing wishes to you and your little one. It's SO hard to go through these times. My heart is with you. :hugs:

Thanx Carol. :heart:
I'm hoping that it is an abscess.
I have an appt on Fri with Dr. Munn.

Tooth abscesses generally aren't seriously 'ripe' - when Cera had hers, it was just this vague whiff of pus that came out of her mouth - I'd never have even known what it was if Shelagh hadn't made me smell an infection months earlier so I'd recognize it in the future.

Back