Older males wont cuddle, seem scared of me, disappointing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you guys think the shot won't work? Is it because it's only a "2-week" treatment? I'm just curious and want to educate myself.

alosha said:
Why do you guys think the shot won't work? Is it because it's only a "2-week" treatment? I'm just curious and want to educate myself.

IMO Convenia is great for after neuter/surgery to prevent infection

For resp issues I prefer Doxy/Baytril.

There are also discussions going on in Europe whether Convenia actually lasts for 2 weeks in rats. Convenia was done for dogs/cats. Rats have a faster metabolism so the antibiotics mgiht go through the body faster than with a dog/cat. Again, great for after surgery... but there are better meds when it comes to resp. issues IMO. After surgery it's not such a huge issue, a couple of days of antibiotics are usually good enough to make sure no infection comes up. Different story when you deal with resp issues where it is important to do a fairly long course to make sure you get rid of it once and for all.

We only use Convenia when we neuter/spay/do surgery on serious biters because we don't have to bug them to give them meds... It's hard enough to medicate a serious biter but with a fresh incision on top of that it's a lot easier. Other than that we do oral meds.

Dr. Burstyn is a nice and very reasonable guy who is open for discussions/trying new things etc. He only just took over AWAC from Dr. Brondwin who sadly retired so they are just getting up and running... a few changes... that's why there might have been a communication problem regarding the examination fee.

I have more than one on meds, you wouldn't need 60 mls for one rat, Baytril is like 2 dollars a ml. here. Depending how much your vet prescribes and how long for your rat you wouldn't pay that much.

Convenia is expensive in BC? I pay $2 a shot.

Convenia doesn't work on rats really. Someone (wish I could remember who) was told by her vet that it doesn't bind with something in the rats.
My vet has tried Convenia on my rats but very reluctantly. She did it to shut me up because I kept saying how people on the forum use it. She told me, studies have shown it's not effective and a lot of it has to do due to the fast metabolism. We tried it for respiratory as well as dermal and teeth issues. Each time it did nothing. In fact it delayed the real treatment thus making it much harder to treat afterwards.

$2 bucks? Holy smokes... No we pay $42.38 and that includes a 30% discount because we're a rescue.

Because of that we literally only use it for biters when they get neutered/have surgery.... No infection... now could be because surgery was well done or Convenia or combination thereof....

alosha, I wanted to mention that all rats are unique as you well know and each one will react differently to the change of a new home. Some rats just need more time to settle and bond. Spend lots of time with them, cuddle them, talk to them, play with them. Not only will that also help with socializing them to you but also helping reduce stress and make their immune system stronger.
It was unfair for us to judge beforehand. All rats react differently and adapt at their own pace no matter where they come from be it a breeder, pet store or rescue. Lots of TLC, patience and time, I bet they will come around.
But as for the meds, I'd definitely beg for Baytril and not the shot.

If you keep doing out time in a fairly enclosed space where they have to spend time on/near you, that's a good, non threatening way to get them used to you. Without using your hands you can talk to them and sing and all that stuff they like, and they can just explore the immediate area. Then when Apollo tires out you can try popping him in your shirt, he might be too tired to spaz out and scratch you up.

And really fight to get a course of baytril/doxy.

Here's an update for everyone, I got the vet to give me Baytril which they've been on for almost 2 weeks now. I have another 2 weeks worth and so I'm hoping this will kick it. The porphyrin has decreased a great deal and their behavior has calmed down a lot.

Apollo hasn't bit me in over a week (except nips that don't hurt), so that's a big improvement.

I think these old boys just were extremely cranky about getting a new home at an old age, but they are warming up to me, most definitely.

Back