Older males wont cuddle, seem scared of me, disappointing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think to ask about medication. If I had to guess it probably doesn't? I guess we'll see.

If it's not included I won't be too upset, considering I was mentally prepared for the neuter to cost up to $200-$300 because I had no idea how much it would be.

Here's another update: I build a coroplast pen and I've had a couple out times. It's much better having the pen because I'm not so nervous.

However Apollo is still a bit unsure of me. He nips (I wouldn't call it biting) at my clothing and sometimes my skin, but it doesn't hurt and it's not grooming. He just seems kinda moody and upset all the time (upcoming neuter will help I hope). I really hope he's not sick or something.

Diez is quickly improving. He squirms a lot less when I pick him up (both of them squirm less at the end of play time). I think the out time (with me sitting in there with them for an hour or two) really helps.

I haven't done "the shirt trick" yet because it's so hot and I don't want to bake them with my body heat inside two shirts (just wearing two shirts would be uncomfortable for me).

They really loved their multigrain cheerios and they are resting in the cage after a two hour out time :)

Is that to just neuter one male rat? I never knew how much it cost. I gasped when I seen the price but everyone said great price. Is it because its Canada the cost? Like how much does it cost to spay/neuter a cat? Its like $65 here (cat), I am in the midwest. Just curious. Ive never had to spay or neuter any of mine, but then again I have only had pairs and same sexes at that. Not to sound stupid.....but do the males....eh um....jewels get any smaller when they are neutered? Or is it like a cat, they just take the little things out of there and leave the actual part? :?

Paula

My one neutered male almost looks like a girl down there now.. from huge balls to almost nothing. Sorry Apollo, cover your ears.

:gaah: Is it because it is Canada?? Holy cripes! Its only like 60-80 here for a cat spay or neuter depending on who you go to. I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I wouldnt think a smaller animal (rat bunny etc) would be as much as a bigger animal...wow.

P

My neuters cost me about $90+tax with meds. Spays i asked and they said $120. For cats i know a spay is $99 last i checked back in like 2006 or so but that might have went up now.

I found everywhere it is so different goes up and down.

When i asked why so much for such a little animal they told me because it is harder and more complex to do on smaller animals.

I took him in for his neuter today but the neuter got postponed because of respiratory symptoms just to be safe (http://ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=20149).

Also when the lady on the phone told me the exam was free with neuter she was incorrect, that does not apply to rats, apparently, but they are going to do that for me because someone on the phone said they would. Exam is $48 when it's not free. Post-op meds (metacam) are included in the $108.10, however.

Today they gave him an injection of antibiotics to treat the respiratory problems (equivalent to 2 weeks of giving the antibiotics orally apparently). I am going back in a week for a follow-up to see how the meds are working. Next week is going to be my "free" exam and then we'll schedule the neuter so today I paid $48.60 for the wellness exam and $55.10 for "convenia inj included 0.1-0.5 mL" + taxes = $116.14 total.

So begins Apollo's accumulation of vet bills ;)

Play time went well last night. It wasn't a billion degrees outside so I was able to tolerate putting on a hoodie and Diez had a blast running around inside my shirt and up and down my sleeves.

Apollo, on the other hand, did not enjoy/approve of being put down my shirt. He scratched up my clevage and desperately crawled out as if my shirt was a mouth trying to eat him. Later he ventured into the front pocket of the hoodie and walked all the way through it a couple of times, but that was enough for him.

Apollo is nipping less and less, even through the bars he hasn't nipped at me. I don't think he's "aggressive" but being un-neutered I think certainly causes him to be moody, and he pees on everything. He was such a sweet boy on the way to the vet and during his exam. "Mom, I'm being nice, please don't lop off my balls." haha

Smaller and complicated makes since. Just never realized so pricey. Then again I have seen some of my vet bill for just normal rat visits/illness be as much as my cats in a serious illness.

I wonder if I should cancel the neuter altogether.. ?

He does still grab my finger occasionally (once a day?) with his teeth, but either lets go immediately after they make contact with my skin or changes his mind before his teeth touch me. He is a little worse with my boyfriend still but I'm the only one he's ever drawn blood from.

And now Diez is making pigeon cooing breathing sounds :(

Maybe I should use the money for Apollo's neuter on an antibiotics shot for Diez.

I'm not sure about skipping the neuter but it sounds like Diez needs antibiotics but I wouldn't recommend a shot. You would be better off to get at least 2 weeks (3 would be better) of baytril and doxy.

I have a couple of boys who like to put their teeth on me but never bite down. It's almost a game to them.
If you are strapped for cash and it's either meds for a uri or neuter, I'd definitely get meds. BUT! get a one month course of Baytril. Not just one shot, that's not going to do it.

Back