Older males wont cuddle, seem scared of me, disappointing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alosha

I got my rats Diez and Apollo (about 1.5 years old) on July 1, so just 5 days ago. I realize writing this that 5 days isn't a very long time so maybe I'm worrying for nothing but I'm concerned and disappointed so I'd like to post anyway.

They were bred by a breeder (as far as I can tell, a good one that keeps track of their bloodlines and everything) and born on March 18, 2009 and March 20, 2009 (two different litters). Someone adopted them and eventually ended up returning them (along with a third rat who was older and has since died) due to allergies. Apparently they have been living back with the breeder for some time now (I don't know exactly, but probably months, maybe even a year?) and I adopted them from the breeder instead of getting babies because I wanted to get some rats in need, and I thought this would be a bonus that they were older and already socialized.

I left them alone in the cage for the first 3 days, except once per day when I put them in the carrier for 5 minutes while I cleaned the poo out of the cage. They don't like being picked up and seem fairly freaked out about being put in the carrier. Yesterday I put a small dish with tiny banana pieces and a tiny dollop of yogurt inside of the carrier before I put them in there and that distracted them for a few minutes but then they resumed their normal freaked out behavior, crawling/sniffing all over, trying to get out, pooping all over.

1) When my boyfriend came over to meet them, Apollo (the un-neutered one) bit his finger (broken skin but no blood) through the bars. This is kinda his fault because a lot of rats don't like fingers through bars, I figure, so that's not so bad.

2) Apollo also gave me a warning-bite when I tried to pet him with my hand inside the cage after my boyfriend got there and I think this is because he was freaked out by the new person. No broken skin, I think this is also acceptable.

3) Apollo (again) (Diez is more shy and doesn't even come that close usually) bit my lip (drew blood) when I was trying to get him to crawl onto my hands. I had my face leaned in close to the cage to talk to him and he was stretching at me, I thought he was trying to sniff my face, so I let him, but then he grabbed onto my lip and pulled away. It only took a few seconds to realize that I had eaten vanilla icecream about 10 minutes prior and he probably thought my lip was some kind of yogurt drop. My fault again. I should have known better since the previous day he tried to run away with my finger (after I applied my daily vanilla lotion to my face which I've been doing for years... methinks I will have to switch away from that lotion if I want to avoid smelly tasty to rats).

4) Both of them will come up to my hand/the door whenever I open it, but typically back away if I actually try to pet them. Sometimes they will groom my hand, sometimes just ignore it, but if I reach for them they will almost always back away. If I try to pick them up they grab at the bars and hold on for dear life.

5) I tried to have "out time" for the first time yesterday, I wheeled the cage up to the couch and opened the door so they could crawl seamlessly between them. I thought if they could get back to their cage easily they would be less nervous. I also put the carrier on the couch so they would play in it and not be so afraid of it. They spent the whole time sniffing around and I was terrified they were going to leap off of the couch or crawl down the couch or fall or something and escape somewhere in my apartment. In your experience, will they stay on the couch?? They always avoid me and it's hard to wrangle two rats on a big couch by myself when I'm afraid they will wander off. I wore long pants and socks because I was afraid of being bitten. They really wanted to sniff my feet but I was afraid they would bite me so I covered my feet with a towel. At one point Diez got his fingernail caught in the towel and I freed him.

I really just want to cuddle them but I feel frustrated that at such an old age and supposedly being handled by very experienced people they are not better socialized...? Maybe they are just still getting used to things. Sigh.

If I want to put them down my shirt, should I put them both down or one at a time?

:sad3:

You will have to give them more time to get used to you and your smells. Put them both down your shirt (have 2 shirts on) and give them yummy treats in there and just let them smell you. Put your hand in the cage and let them come to you without picking them up at first. Then pick them up for a second or two, talk to them and put them back down. Do this several times for maybe a week.
When you have them on the couch, cover the couch with a huge blanket so they can't down into the cushions and yes some rats could jump off the couch. Always be calm as the rats feel your energy. Good luck and keep us updated.

If they try to crawl out of the shirt, do I (gently) force them to stay inside or just let them go?

For some reason I just imagine them trying to get away from me, although I've never read anything about a rat trying to escape from a shirt.

I would try to keep them inside, just read a book or watch a movie and eventually they'll settle down inside your shirt.

i think you've been doing a good job so far, and this is probably a huge life change for your guys at their age. they may need quite a bit of time to settle in. you can try putting a freshly worn article of your clothing in the cage with them (something you don't really care about .. they'll probably rip it up and pee all over it) so that they can get used to your scent. also try not to rearrange the cage too much, when you clean it put everything back more or less where it was when they left it. if you can keep their cage in one designated spot and have a safe rat-safe area close to the cage that they can become familiar with it should also help .. sheets of coroplast zip-tied together make a great non-climb playpen of sorts. if your rats are frightened enough they may try to jump off the couch so an enclosed area that you're confident they can't get out of will do wonders for keeping you relaxed, which in turn will make it easier for them to adjust for you since any tension you feel is picked up by them. just take it slow, and try not to do anything to make them uncomfortable so they learn that they can trust you.

when you're sitting with them during out time though, don't worry about long sleeves and protecting yourself from being bitten - if they're just wandering around checking things out they probably won't wander up to you and bite you; it seems like their biting is fear aggression. let them check you out without interfering. if one of them decides to sniff your arm or even climb onto you, try not to reach for them if they seem especially wary of your hands. apollo probably bit your lip because he wanted that little bit of vanilla ice cream, but wasn't totally comfortable with being so close to you and was afraid of getting in trouble.

and as far as putting them down your shirt goes i would wait until they're a little bit more familiar with you before you try down the shirt socializing because they might feel trapped if they're already frightened of you. but when you feel they're ready for it, put them both in there at first like mamarat said :) eventually you'll be able to do it individually. if you're worried about them trying to escape or getting loose, do it in a room that's rat safe, like a clean bathroom, and just bring something with you to keep you entertained while they're in there.

Well, that is disappointing since these rats are bred and living at their breeder's.
Like the others have said, give them time but socialize them too.
If they continue to bite or test bite or lunge and bite, they should be neutered.
Unfortunately, there are older males that just end up not wanting human interactions so you must love and respect them anyways. But coming from a breeder, they really shouldn't be that way. I'm guessing in a month, you'll have them crawling all over you.

One of them is neutered already, but it is the un-neutered one (Apollo) which has done the biting. They have all been warning bites/mistaking for food, so I don't think it's reaalllly bad or anything like that.

I have an update too!

Today Apollo let me pet him inside the cage near the entry for a long time. He even lied down and rubbed his head up against me as I was petting him, I felt so relieved.

Diez is still keeping to himself, but hasn't ever been bitey either.

If they end up being rat-only rats, that'll be alright because I've had several hamsters like that and they were still a pleasure to care for, but I really wanted the snugglies which is why I went with rats to begin with.

I think I will make more progress as time goes on.

I reckon you'll win them over in no time - also a tip: your feet are safer sockless in my experience. They always seem to nip socked toes, but bare feet are fine! I don't know why, but a few other people have had that too lol
Down the shirt trick works wonders as everyone else has said. Good luck with your guys!

Update: they both seem a lot more relaxed/comfortable being touched, though I haven't picked them up in a day or two, I wanted to get them used to being petted and touched and stuff because they would always run away (probably thinking I'm trying to pick them up). I got both Diez and Apollo to accept 5-minute scritches and they seemed to like it. Apollo even let my boyfriend pet him, so it feels like a lot of progress.

If I sit by the cage long enough with the doors open to play with and pet them, eventually they get bored and lie down and kind of ignore/avoid me like I'm bugging them, but not aggressively.

This morning I came in and Apollo was near the front of the cage, lying down but awake, so I opened the door and went to pet him. He dodged my hand and sniffed me instead (sometimes he does that), then he was licking and grooming me, which he's done a lot of, so I didn't think anything of it. Then he got to the back of my hand gradually turned from grooming me to he bit me near my first knuckle and wouldn't let go :( He was tugging on my hand like he was trying to take it to the back of the cage (which hurt!) so I had to grab his body and say "ow ow ow let go" and take my hand out of his mouth.

I thought they made a lot of improvement in the last 48 hours, I thought that they were just having a really hard adjustment period to the new cage and everything but... ?????

I can't really come up with an excuse for this bite because he was grooming me, I didn't smell like food, I didn't startle him.. ?

Is Apollo too old for a neuter? He's about 15.5 months old.

No he is not to old for a neuter and he needs this now. You need to find a good vet for this. Couple of things, you already discovered flavors will draw the rats to you not necessarily in a good way. Make sure you and your boyfriend wash your hands before trying to handle the rats. When you try to pet the boys are you approaching them with your hand over their heads, if so go from the side. The hand over the top of the head is more of a dominance thing. Lastly my off the wall question, but do either of you smoke. Smoke smell is bad to rats. Just a thought and it doesn't necessarily have to be you smoking but someone around you and the smell is on your hands and clothes. Good luck.

I agree with eagle.
I've had plenty of older males neutered and it helped each time.
When he bit your knuckle did he draw blood or was it a grab and yank?

It was a grab, hold, and pull, like a tug of war with the loose skin on my knuckle. There's two little cuts, one of them bled, and it's a little swollen.

No I don't smoke and neither does my boyfriend. The previous tenant of my apartment owned 2 cats, but I've cleaned the place fairly well, maybe this aggravates them? Sometimes the building next door has people smoking on their balcony and stuff but I close my windows when they do that because the smell bothers me.

I had just woken up and the last thing I touched before I went to sleep was the rats (after a long petting session, then washed hands, then one more goodnight pet), so I don't think there was any food smell this time.

When I reached for Apollo this morning, I came at the side of his head and rubbed the side of my finger on his cheek, then went to pet the top of his head/back and he backed away and sniffed me and began the 10 seconds of grooming which eventually led to him biting me.

That may not be an aggressive bite, more like trying to bring you in the cage.
I don't think it's the food smell either. I would probably go ahead with a neuter still at this point.

Trying to bring me into the cage, while not aggressive, is still not a behavior I think is good, haha, especially if it leads to my injury. Is there anything behavioral I should try to keep him from doing that? Or just neuter and hope he stops?

I booked a neuter appointment on July 14th for Apollo with Dr. Burstyn at the

Arbutus West Animal Clinic
2809 West 16th Avenue
Vancouver BC
V6K 3C5

So hopefully this mellows him out :)

It's going to cost $108.10 which I don't think is bad at all. I'm going to have the Dr. check him over as well which he'll waive the fee for because of the surgery.

alosha said:
It's going to cost $108.10 which I don't think is bad at all. I'm going to have the Dr. check him over as well which he'll waive the fee for because of the surgery.

:shock: that's a great price for a neuter! (at least in my opinion - it seems like everything is more expensive in toronto than anywhere else in the country) and that's great of them to waive the checkup fee. fingers crossed that it all goes well!

That's a great price! Pretty run of the mill, if I'm not mistaken. I think my vet does spays for $125 and neuters for $100. Do you know if it includes after care medication? I bought a bottle of metacam [pain reliever] for about $50 extra from my vet.

Back