OH Boy - not good news

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed for you - have heard of 3 cases like that, all mum's got pregnant with second litter within 12 hours, but all 3 made it very fine, only the babies got a little behind and small. I wish you the best of luck!

IF she did get pregnant on her post-partum heat, then the usual gestation period is 28 days...it gives the wee ones she has now a bit of a chance timewise to be with their mom.

Not because I think I know more than lilspaz - the 3 I know of had the second litter exactly on day 21 of the first litter, the 2 cases the boy was removed after 12 hours. But fingers crossed nothing happens.

Corrie surprised us ... she was rescued from a snake owner and nursing a one week old litter when myself and another woman took her, her 12 babies, Byron and Nettie. We thought that we were safe and she wasn't pregnant as no babies had appeared by 21 and 22 days after her older litter was born. She gave birth to 9 babies when her older litter was 4 weeks and 3 or 4 days old. (Will have to go look it up.) That is when we found out that nursing moms can have delayed implantation of embryos causing gestation to be longer than usual.

I find the following site, showing the daily growth of baby ratties, to be very interesting. I think you will too.

http://ratgrowth.homestead.com/week1.html

Bati said:
Not because I think I know more than lilspaz - the 3 I know of had the second litter exactly on day 21 of the first litter, the 2 cases the boy was removed after 12 hours. But fingers crossed nothing happens.

Wow, that is not the norm Bati..poor babies and poor mama's... :(

Oops, nevermind.. Found the info I was missing the first couple of times around.

Hope you get Mama and babies soon!

I WANT TO BE SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stepbrother is a *%&^ing moron. He is keeping them and the mom, he hasn't separated them, he wants to continue breeding because he can give them to the pet store. His comment is the more the merrier.

I can't write anymore right now I am just too upset. And I really don't know what else to say at this moment.

Oh my god. That is unreal. I am so sorry you have to go through this. :(

I really hope nothing bad happens to the babies or mom.

OK, I am not much better but I am a little more calm. So here is what happened. My stepbrother is 29 he's living on his own. I told my stepmom I didn't expect her to do anything, I don't think she will. I have come head to head with them before. This is how it will play out. Lea-Andra will tell the two of them it's wrong and tell them why. They will argue with me and then later it will turn out they changed their minds and my stepbrother will say mom is always right. It's happened before where my words have been used as someone elses.

Anyways Ryan is attached to the female he won't give her up. I can take a few babies. He told me he was told by the lady at the pet store that babies mature at 3 months. I told him she was wrong, VERY WRONG. Anyways we got into a huge discussion, he said he didn't care if they would breed again what was a few more babies. He believes that the mother will only have one more litter and she will magically stop having them. Also he said that the sisters and brothers will not breed with each other because there is this scent that they will recognized. I told him that a mom and son will breed. He didn't believe me, I told him I knew someone that it happened to. He basically told me not to worry about the rats and himself, basically to mind my own business. At which point I told him to f-off and hung up the phone.

It is really hard when it's so close to you. I can help him now but when his rats have rats and he has over 100 I can't help him with that. Unless I have a lot of people who can help. He learns by disaster. He won't listen to anyone and I know there is no way I can kidnap them as much as I want to.

I really don't know what I can do, he said the pet store said they would take some. And Elizabeth, I am pretty sure I know one of two in Barrie that started this whole mess. It's one of the two on Bayfield street near Future Shop.

I feel so bad for these rats, he has no clue what he's getting into and when he gets proven with fact he shuts you out.

He is the WORST person to have this happen to. He's manic depressive and bipolar. If anyone knows, Elizabeth you might know this, the guy quite a few years back that tried to blow himself up near the OPP station in Barrie. Well that's my stepbrother. He's been in jail twice now. He's been in the my life sucks state. You don't understand the trend. His life gets better, he gets a pet and gets in trouble. It's happened twice already, it WILL happen again.

SO this is what is going to happen. I have to leave this alone for now, I can't push any farther because I will push him away. I phoned him back and left a message and told him I was sorry for telling him to f-off. I told him I had my views but I know that I wouldn't change his. But if he needed anything, I would be there to help him. As much as I want to spit in his face right now. I know something bad will happen but there isn't much I can do about it. It sounds terrible, I know but I am at a loss.

Oh yeah and I am going to find out what store gave him the rats and who told him about not being able to sex them until three months and really give it to them.

*sigh* I am in total disbelief. Oh yeah and the male and female are still together because hey 'what's more rats?'

I wan't to cry. :(

I am so sorry to hear this. What a mess. Maybe your only chance is to flood him with nutrition advice for the mom. would he think twice if he realized how much work it will be? Or does he love the mama enough to at least give her good nutrition and a nice big cage to raise her babies? Does he love her enough to think that it would be a terrible thing to take her babies and give/sell them to a store that would use them as feeders?

My heart goes out to you. It would be so hard to be so near, and yet so far.

I am occasionally reminded of why I dislike this guy. I'm so serious right now.

And tomorrow I am going down there to visit with my dad. My gramma, aunt and cousin are to be there too. Well after today I don't know if Ryan will show up.

Lord give me strength.

LA said:
I really don't know what I can do, he said the pet store said they would take some. And Elizabeth, I am pretty sure I know one of two in Barrie that started this whole mess. It's one of the two on Bayfield street near Future Shop.

I know the one you are talking about. I was there once a few years back while my boyfriend was shopping in The Future Shop. I'm sorry to hear that they are still in business.
I don't know if this will help, but he has a hell of a lot of competition in that neck of the woods. One petstore supplier in Barrie has constantly got ads in the Buy and Sell to get rid of her excess stock, that she can't get rid of to the petstores, and she even offers them already frozen which she does herself. The bloody idiots in the petstore will tell him anything he wants to hear right now, but when the time comes to dump the rats onto them, it could very well be a totally different story. He might find out that the day before he got there his competition dropped off enough rats to keep them going for the next few weeks, and by then his rats might be way too old for their purposes. Then what is he going to do with them? Is he going to start driving around looking for petstores? Gassing and freezing them himself? Will he be organizing Buy and Sell ads trying to get rid of them? Seems like a lot of work to me, that he might not be considering.
Did he get a contract from them committing to use him as a primary supplier? Did he get in writing how many rats that they are prepared to take off his hands on a weekly/monthly basis? I think he might be in for a real eye opener in a few weeks time. Business is business, and those petstores are going to know how to do their business to their advantage and not his.
There are very few petstores in Barrie that will carry the type of volumes that are in that petstore near the Future Shop. He is going to be in over his head in no time if he isn't careful.

Oh LA, I can't imagine being in your shoes right now.
Maybe just maybe, he'll have to "hit rock bottom" so to speak and then we can help him. Hopefully he will learn his lesson.

Is he on medication?
Scott has a nephew, just diagnosed with bipolar, you really have to tip toe around him.

You know best how to handle him and hopefully things will end better than worse. Keep us updated.

Back