OH Boy - not good news

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

My stepbrother bought two male rats actually quite a while ago. Well I was talking to my stepmom about picking up the rescue rat on boxing day before I go to visit them and she said 'do you want babies?' OH MY GOD. Apparently Ryan got a male and a female.
There are parts of the story I and confused on as he's had these rats for a while now. And obviously in my opinion if they couldn't tell he got the rats WAY too young. So I told my stepmom about how they had to stay with their mom until 4 weeks and keep them together (males and females split up of course) until 5 weeks for the betterment of the rats. And of course I said 'If Ryan really doesn't want to get into dealing with babies I would take them.' *sigh*

So I will see my stepbrother on boxing day and I will talk to him then. I want to make sure he knows everything he needs to know if he is going to keep them. That is key. I will keep you updated. They are about a week old right now.

I sadly don't even know. I mentioned it to my stepmom. How long after birth can a rat mate again???

I'm not sure, my stepmom didn't know. I will phone them tomorrow morning when I get to work. *sigh*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

%*$^#%#&%^#&%$*&^%*^%*#&^#@%$

THEY AREN'T BLOODY SEPARATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are so stupid. I phoned my stepmom this morning actually just now and I asked if the male was separated and she said no. She apparently didn't understand my question last night. I told her that the female could now have another litter on the way.

I am SO taking that female out of there. He's such a moron. WHY in god's name didn't they call me and ask me. That poor poor female I feel so bad for her, she's probably super stressed out in a terrible situation. :cry: I want to cry... NOW boxing day can't come soon enough!!!!!!!!

It's always especially worse when it's from people we know. I know how you feel, you have to be "nice" but yet you just want to tear into them.
I hope he learns from this and will be extra careful next time.

I know I don't know everything, I never will. But I really hope that they let me take the female and the babies. I have a small extra cage. I can give him a male when the time comes. I don't know what Ryan knows, he's not even allowed on the internet (long story) so he can't even get info that way.

I also haven't heard from the lady giving away the boy and girl, I dont' know if I could take her AND the mom and babies. I will see.

When you stop by my house I can give you a cage or two if you need them.
prison-102.gif

My good baby cage got lent out and was never given back but I have a couple that have pretty narrow bar spacing that should be OK.

Some of these people who post on Kijiji are sooo rude! I've never heard back from that vets office that had the 2 blue boys available.
I mean, if the rats are taken at least do us the courtesy of letting us know, right?

Thank you Mumsyrat. The baby cages would be greatly appreciated. I have one of those small hamster cages (white bars red base). But you never know and it's good to have more. I am going to try as hard as I to convince him to let me take the mother and the babies on the promise he can have one or two of the boys for his little buddy.

Well if I do get them I will be asking lots of questions for sure. I know I have a better chance raising them properly then he does. *sigh*

This is a very awkward situation to be in, I'm sorry. I am glad that it is happening to a rat lover who knows what they are doing rather than someone who doesn't care.
I'm crossing my fingers that the mum is not pregnant again.

Thanks Vanessa. There is one other thing I am REALLY concerned about.

When he got them as I have said they were obviously too young to be given away or sold or where ever he got them. But, that means the female is way too young to have babies, she is DEFINATELY under 6 months old and a possible second litter on the way.

What kind of problems could this cause?

:cry: I'm so sad for her.

There could be complications for certain. They are a species that is meant to reproduce, so they do end up pulling off miracles in that department a lot of the time, but for her to be so young and have two litters back to back is extremely stressful.
Personally, and I am not the most experienced when it comes to rat births, I would start filling her up with high calorie and high nutrition foods the minute you get her. Try and keep her in the least stressful area of the house away from other rats. I don't know whether the females from the first litter should be kept with her, someone else can offer that advice, but maybe only one of the girls for company.
I would expect the worst, but that is just my personality for the most part. There are many here who have probably dealt with difficult births that will hopefully see this post and can offer better information.
I really hope she isn't pregnant, but if she is, I hope it goes without incident. Maybe, because of the circumstances, it could be a very small litter.

I talked to my Dad. He is going to try and talk to my stepmom about me taking the rats. I told him that I had a huge support that I could go to if need be and that it would take them off his hands. He's manic depressive and bi polar. He doesn't usually get involved with things like this but he said he would mention it.

Pray that he lets me take them.

I still don't know much. I haven't been able to get the rats yet because of things breaking and poop happening. But my dad did say that Ryan (my stepbrother) said that if I really wanted them I could have them. But I still have to talk to him.

I am a lot more reasonable now after giving it a lot of thought. My dad just really wants to stay out of it all. If this all goes according to plan I will have them Wednesday. After I talk to him I will let you all know what's going on.

Oh and I have a really bad feeling.... I have a feeling that the male and female are not separated. I hope to god I am wrong.... But for some reason I don't think so.

I will let you know.

Awww..LA, I am sorry to hear about this.

I have my fingers crossed you can get those wee ones on Wed. :)

We all will help you as much as we can, don't worry about that!!!

Bronny was on her 2nd litter at 4-5 months and she is hearty and hale now.

As Vanessa says, they are built to reproduce multiple litters but its still never good for back to back. Fingers crossed for no pregnancy either!! ((hugs))

Back