New wee ones- 8 weeks old today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

Well my new little beige girl Alba was going into get spayed yesterday...I was sure she was pregnant but did not know how far along....she has a very small round tummy...not nearly as big as the other pregnant rats I had seen....Well she didn't make her spay because on Wednesday Feb 1st she gave birth to 4 beautiful babies. I think we have 2 girls and 2 boys...they have dark eyes so will probably be black self or black berks.... She has been a very good girl but is very protective of her babies...

Alba having a drink of ensure after birth
DSCF9262.jpg

Nursing her wee ones while she has a piece of egg
DSCF9270.jpg

DSCF9269.jpg

Newborn baby
DSCF9264.jpg

2 days old
DSCF9272.jpg

DSCF9275.jpg

DSCF9284.jpg

DSCF9285.jpg

DSCF9286.jpg

DSCF9287.jpg

rhapsody said:
Wow, what luck to have such a small litter!

Sending good-growing vibes to the little ones!

LOL...yes I am VERY glad that if she had to have a litter it was a small one...guess that is why she did not look very far along.....I have a very good friend already interested in two.....so Alba and the other two will stay here with me....

hopefloats said:
even better to have them new homes before they are 3 days old! Awesome :)

Yes....and if for some reason my good friend can not take them I will keep them. I don't want to adopt animals out to strangers anymore....I have worked in rescue my whole life...and I need a break from it...to much worry.

I tried that briefly... Welcome 11 boys LOL

Cant wait to see the colors!

does your friend want certain sexes?

hopefloats said:
I tried that briefly... Welcome 11 boys LOL

Cant wait to see the colors!

does your friend want certain sexes?

I am pretty sure they will be black...berks or selfs
My friend is thinking girls....but we will see. Maybe she will want one of each....They will be spayed and neutered so it won't be a big deal...

Dahlas said:
I don't want to adopt animals out to strangers anymore.....to much worry.

:nod: yeah, me too .... lots of great people but a few not so good ... so very very stressful ...

Glad they all have a home ... now we can all relax and enjoy watching all 5 grow up LOL

I have to say I have met a lot of wonderful people through my years in rescue doing adoption...have actually made some great friends that way......some have become like family.....and we were strangers to begin with and are now very close....because of our love of the animal....But it is still hard and it only takes one bad experience to make you doubt people.....
I need a break.... a long one.....maybe forever.

This is why I can't ever be a rescue, I can't adopt out. I simply don't trust people. And my standards for a good home is much too high. lol
Those babies are lucky!

Oh my goodness Dalhas, you went from a nice, small colony of four(?) to twelve in just a couple of weeks!
So much for keeping your numbers down! LOL
I'm SO glad Alba had a tiny litter. Did the other three girls get done yesterday?

Joanne said:
Oh my goodness Dalhas, you went from a nice, small colony of four(?) to twelve in just a couple of weeks!
So much for keeping your numbers down! LOL
I'm SO glad Alba had a tiny litter. Did the other three girls get done yesterday?

LOL I know I was so close to having a nice small number. Life is so busy right now I was enjoying having one small group of 4 to play with....then came the three girls (no they didn't get spayed I cancelled the appointment but I am doing it next week) now Alba and her 4 babies......so here I am at 12... :wallbang:

larger colonies are more fun anyway... Nice stress reliever to watch them play and be happy :)

hopefloats said:
larger colonies are more fun anyway... Nice stress reliever to watch them play and be happy :)

That is true and when my old girl is gone (and I am in NO hurry for that to happen) I will intro everyone and have them all in the CN.......

Took me a year to get to that point. Those bossy ones make everything difficult :) but those are usually the best ones :)

Back