New little lady is Pregnant :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
few questions.. first off.. how do I sex them? and what are some good ways to find them homes? because that's my biggest concern is homes.

One thing we recommend is making sure you are charging an adoption fee for your rats. Find out how much feeders are at the store, and ask $5 higher. That should discourage snake owners.

Girls have nipples, boys do not (go figure!)
As the boys get older, perhaps a month old, their testicles become much more prominent and noticeable.
I wouldn't worry too much about it right now as they are still very young.

alright thanks! also I think everyone will be light in color because they are all still pink as can be and their fur is coming in.

Unless you're an expert on sexing the babies it can be tough. I have a litter of 11 babies right now(only my second litter I've ever had) and I sexed my babies at about 8 days old and got 7 girls and 4 boys. But at 11 day when the girls started showing their nipples I determined I actually have 6 girls and 5 boys. So is wait until you can see their nipples, it's easiest that way.

based off of what I believe to be nipples there are 5 girls and 5 boys, here are some pictures of the fuz butts c:
imagf2-373.jpg

they always seem to want to be under one another in a big pile
imagf1-372.jpg

imagf0-371.jpg

yeah she is:) babies eyes are starting to open c: I'll try uploading a picture tomorrow!

one of the babies has a little lump near its leg, maybe like half a pea or so, real small but is that anything to be concerned about? it's small but no one else has it.

okay well I couldn't get any pictures that actually showed it but you can really tell by feeling it. so I've got a few questions.
•how do I do this whole separating thing, when? and should I still let the guys visit with the mom once they are separated.
•what age can the babies go to their new homes?
•anybody near Olathe looking for some rat babies? xD
•even tho the babies still occasionally drink from their mom can they still be separated
(I'll be uploading pictures in a minute or so)

The boys should be separated from ALL females at five weeks. They should be weaned by then and mom would be happy to have them off her teats! They should definitely NOT have visitation afterwards with mom as they could impregnate her.
It's nice if you socialize the babies for another week or two before rehoming them, just so they settle into life without their mommy.

picture time (sorry im not too good)
weird spot to have a meal..
imagf0-376.jpg

imagf2-378.jpg

hammock c:
imagf3-379.jpg

few noodles for fun
imagf8-384.jpg

imagf0-385.jpg

then i think someone would like to play
imagf0-386.jpg

Oh my gosh! are those PEW babies? I think my heart just melted out of my chest...I loves me some pew babes!

Back