New little lady is Pregnant :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She looks pregnant .....
Was she put on antibiotics for her injuries? Which ones?
(There are pediatric friendly antibiotics such as azithromycin)

She looks pregnant .....
Was she put on antibiotics for her injuries? Which ones?
(There are pediatric friendly antibiotics such as azithromycin)

baytril and then a pain killer but I'm not home to check the name of the pain killer.

hard to believe she can walk around with a belly so big
imagf0-359.jpg

imagf1-361.jpg

imagf0-360.jpg

Last edited:
Oh oh. I think babies are in your immediate future. Do you have her set up in an appropriate maternity cage that will be safe for newborns? I think you need to call your vet ASAP to possibly change her medications.

I was trying to set up the aquarium for her because I don't think the multiple leveled wire cage she is in would be the best. but I'm having issues with the water bottle and keeping it to stay + dripping. I'll also call the vet tomorrow because they aren't open right now.

An aquarium sounds good while the babies are teeny so they don't fall out between the bars.
Definitely arrange a working water bottle as babies can drown in water dishes.
Good luck! It looks like she will go any time.

also I know very little on baby rats and caring for them... help o_o also when should she be having them? plus any ideas how to put a water bottle in an aquarium?

Momma should do all the work :) but if by some chance she doesn't or can't then I would be prepared to have some way to keep them warm and syringe feed them every couple of hours or so. I used hand towels and warmed them in the dryer but fleece would work better. So have fleece,soy infant formula and a small syringe for feeding (your vet should give you some for free or a small fee) on hand just in case something goes wrong.I would also make sure your vet is aware of the situation just in case she might need a c-section or her lady parts get injured where she was injured before and she bleeds to much which would be my concern for her :( I swear I am not trying to freak you out just hoping to prepare you for what might happen given you recent injuries...As far as the water bottle on the tank...you can buy a thing that is made for that but when our gabby had her babies, we used a metal coat hanger and made one out of that and then used zip ties to hold it into place on the hanger. I wish I had a picture of the set up but that was a year ago haha.

I'll talk to the vet a bit more and try figuring out the water bottle:) thanks! and what nesting material should I give her?

what nesting material should I give her?
Nothing that has threads. Paper towels are nice because you can throw them away afterwards. Fleece is safe but make sure there are no threads along the edge, and no holes in the pieces - I once had a baby stuck halfway through a piece of fleece. She was fine, but who knows how long she was stuck for...

am I supposed to do anything?!!? how do I know if she's feeding them?! freaking out o.o

Back