New Foster Greyhound Mighty

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How wonderful. You are touching a lot of lives by doing something so unselfish. I would fail at fostering, but its awesome to see people who are doing it and doing it really well!!!!

I really like fostering and it's helping a lot because she doesn't have that many fosters. So looks like we're taking Bubba on Monday and then maybe fostering a Grey for a week till he goes to his new home and then unload day for the Grey's from Miami is July 11th. Going to be much fun! Can't wait to see who we get this time.

Edtit: So we're not having the extra Grey I read her email wrong lol We're getting our Grey on July 11th!

I wanna visit Bubba! I bet he's around me somewhere! Many Greys are at our local mall every saturday, looking to be adopted or just showing off in hopes to get adoptions up. Id love to go up and meet some, get to know them before we look into adopting. Congrats guys, and as I said before, welcome to the island Bubba!

Maple said:
What are you going to do with the new foster while your in Ontario visiting Nana?

My brother will watch her or him while we're gone and my aunt is going to watch the ratties :) The Grey will have fun with Mandy his black lab I'm sure. I'm going to bring her or him over during the week to get them used to one another and to go over the routine with my bro.

IT"S GREY DAY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting the Grey a day early yay! Still no idea who we're getting they only got the names last night! There are some oldies in this group. One Grey is 6! So he must have won them a lot of races and another one is 4. Usually the oldest is just turning 3 when they come to rescue. But these dogs are from a track that got closed down.

Can't wait till I'm done work! :dance:

So yesterday we picked up our new foster Grey. His racing name is Bbr's Mad Man. Deb picked him for us because he's going to be a hard case lol She said we did such a great job with Brown Sugar and Bubba that she thinks we'll be able to do wonders with Mad Man.

Mad Man is a 3 yr old Red Fawn. lol another Fawn kid! People are going to start thinking we only want Fawn Grey's lol He's a lot deeper red though then the last two kids we had and his tail is brindle with a white tip! Very different! He also has some brindle markings on the side of his neck. He's quite short and stocky for a Greyhound and when I first saw his face I really thought that maybe he was mixed breed 'cause his face wasn't as long as the usual Grey.

DSCF0034-1.jpg

DSCF0029-1.jpg

He is VERY scared and VERY nervous. Any movement we make he is in slink and bolt mode so we're going to have to make sure that when we approach him it's zig zag not looking at him and come aloge side of him.

DSCF0030.jpg

I get a vibe from him that if he doesn't have his space he could snap. So we're going to work slow with him to gain our trust. We'll especially have to work slow with the food thing. This morning when we fed him he kept giving me that eye like don't touch me when I'm eating. But for Grey training you're supposed to pat them and talk to them while eating so they can avoid any food agression.

He's going to take some hard work this one but it's going to be worth it in the end to help him get a forever home.

Argent said:
He's gorgeous! And I love the collar, it looks more like a necklace :D Here's hoping you do wonders with him, good luck!

That's his bling. We got it for fostering so many times lol That's just for his dog tags. The collars they where have to be 1-2 inch martingales. He just didn't have it on.

Wow so quick!! A friend of mine just made a ton of collars to sell to support GPAC, Boston Rescue and Boxer Rescue of Canada. I think they were 2" Martingales. We use them on our Pit, as she snaps any buckles and the martins make her walk nicer. Mad Mans gorgeous! I love the smile on him ;) Good luck guys, you'll do wonders with him.

Any chance of you posting more videos of these beautiful Greys?? :love:

Well Mad didn't get adopted yet. :( I wish he did 'cause my brother had a hell of a time with him lol i guess he had a few accidents but I think it's because Scott didn't stick to the schedule as strickt as I told him to.

But he is a bit more out going now and actually came out of the crate and was wagging his tail for a treat this morning! He was barking at the rats today crazy guy lol He was more interested in them. I think we might try a 2nd cat test now where he's more out of his shell a bit.

His first cat test was kinda ...not so great but not to bad either lol he might be workable. But maybe that's why he wasn't adopted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQMuQGTrG4

That's his first cat test.

We'll get more video and pics of him now that we're back

Mad's went to his new home today and he didn't want to go poor guy. I hope his new family take their time with him he's so nervous. I really hope they have patience with him and don't return him. Deb has had dogs returned before that were to nervous. One guy Manuel was returend like 3 times poor guy.

Hopefully Mad will do well in his new home. He's going to live with the Nova Scotia people :)

Awee happy to hear you have another one going to his forever home, hope they take the time to let him come out of his shell. He seems like such a sweetie.

We're getting our 4th foster Grey on Friday. He's a return because the lady is dying of cancer :( so sad for her to have to go through that plus lose her dog on top of it. I feel really bad for the dog. His name is Mighty and is a black masked brindle boy. I can't wait to meet him. It'll be nice change not having a red fawn lol Not that colour matters it's just weird I guess taht the first three we've had were all the same colour when there are so many different coloured Grey's lol

The next load of Grey's isn't till October 20th so I'm kinda glad we'll have another foster for a little bit before we get our other foster. The next load is Prison trained dogs so they'll go fast. The last load of Prison dogs lasted like a week before they were all adopted!

Will be a cake walk with those guys where they're all trained.

Back