New Foster Greyhound Mighty

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

So Ang and I have been talking about getting a cat. We wanted to rescue one of course and I have been looking on kijij at some of the older cats. I emailed quite a few and never heard back from anyone so I'm thinking it's becasue we were meant to adopt the two cats we are now getting.
We are going to adopt two cats from the lady that is surrendering her ratties to MRRG.
Her hubby got posted in Alberta of all places :( so MRRG will be taking in her 8 ratties. Two boys will be coming to moncton and we're hoping all the girls are going to the Freddy foster.
Where they're going to be living in military barraks they can't have the rest of her animals. She has the two cats, a bunny and two dogs.

So Ang and I decided why not take in the two cats? They love the ratties and dogs they'd be perfect!

So in a few weeks we'll have two new aditions to the family :) I'll post pics and more info on them when I get it. I know one of them is 2yrs old and another is only 6 months they are both girls. Not sure what they look like but that doesn't matter. We just want to give them a good home :)

Ang is the cat person so she'll be responsible for their cleanup lol

I'm the dog person so I'd be resonsible for a dog if we are approved to foster. I applied to foster a Greyhound from the Maritime Greyhound Adoption Program. I think it would be a great idea as they are a lazy type dog but when walking only go short distances so it'll be great for me to get out to walk her or him. We go to the info session this saturday! I'm really excited about it. They're such an amazing animal!

It's all going to work out great as we're only going to have 2 personal rats and have the rest fosters for the rescue. which would be probably max 10 I think would be a good number. All very manegable especially when ever I have my operation. Still waiting on that.

The dog will get me otut walking which is good so I can lose some weight and get my leg to be a little stronger for the operation.

Can't wait !

Congrats!

Let yourselves settle in with the cats for a couple of months before you bring any dogs home. Cats don't usually do change well and even if they're good with dogs now, they might not be while they're settling. Plus, greys are usually good with cats but if you end up with one that's too excited about them at first, the cats are going to be extra freaked out.

A couple months eh? I'll have to make sure I let the Greyhound people know. I'm not sure how long the process takes to be approved to be a foster home. But I guess I'll get all that info on Saturday when we go. I'm really excited! I've been reading up on them all day. There are some really interesting things about them like how you may have to teach them to go up and down stairs.

I think I'm going to make a bed for them. I read somewhere that someone makes alike a large pillow casing type of thing then stuffs in 4 or 5 pillows and it's perfect for Grey's and have a blanket on top. So it's soft for them.

I could make a really neat one!

I'm sure they probably provide one but still lol I can spoil her or him a little plus it'd be fun to make.

This lady makes the cutest jackets for them! http://www.caninecozycoats.ca/

Yeah, my next door neighbor just adopted a Grey from the racetrack that closed in Kenosha, WI - she is SUCH a lazy dog and SO frightened of stairs, go figure. She has the really cool bed that you stuff with pillows too - I need to look at it and figure out how to make one for when we get our German Shepherds, it makes it so washable! Congrats on your new fuzzies!

I'm so excited! We got a call tonight from Maritime Greyhound Adoption Program and we're having our home interview tomorrow! We are going to meet Lucy the Grey :) Can't wait! So excited! :joy:

They mix just fine actually. It all depends on the dog, my Mom's friend has four cats and four greys, well three cats (she just put her 18yo boy down two days ago).

All the Grey's get tested to see if they are ok with Cats first before they go into foster care or to their adoption home. There's only around 20% that don't get along well with cats because they keep their high prey drive. It's not that they don't like cats it's that they have been conditioned to chase a fluffy thing and as soon as they see fast movement they're gone.
But over 80% of retired racing Grey's just want to laze around the house like a cat themselves.

The rescue people usually pick the Grey they think would work best in your home as well so all precautions are taken.

lindsayfawn said:
All the Grey's get tested to see if they are ok with Cats first before they go into foster care or to their adoption home. There's only around 20% that don't get along well with cats because they keep their high prey drive. It's not that they don't like cats it's that they have been conditioned to chase a fluffy thing and as soon as they see fast movement they're gone.
But over 80% of retired racing Grey's just want to laze around the house like a cat themselves.

The rescue people usually pick the Grey they think would work best in your home as well so all precautions are taken.

Good. I know I love how lazy these guys are. :joy: :joy:

So we had our home interview last night and it went great! I made a make shift bed for Lucy the Grey and she loved it lol She was such a sweetie!
It's going to be such an awesome program! We are mostly likely getting our first foster sometime in May. We'll probably find out at the session this saturday! I'm excited for it. It's going to be great.

Also some really cool news is that the home interview lady has a pet rat! lol So we jumped on that one of course and now she is most likely going to adopt Caprica lol She really fell in love with her and she's around the same age as her Ella which is perfect!

lol what are the odds that the Greyhound person was a rat person too lol

Apparently it's pretty likely. Someone from the GRA forum was clever enough to put together that I was on that forum as well.

I just found out from my grandmother that the lady that runs this rescue I am related too lol how interesting. She's my 2nd cousin's sister. Small world or what!

So Ang and I were talking and we're not going to take in the two cats. I feel bad but both our hrs have been cut and the last thing we need is to get in over our heads and not be able to financally take care of the animals. So I think the most responsible thing to do is not to get the cats. Especially where it's expensive running the rescue and getting all the stuff for the fosters that they need.
It sucks 'cause we really wanted to help but I don't have the full time status yet as I thought I would. They're still waiting on the government to give us our budget grrr freaking government taking their sweet time.

We're still going to Foster a Grey as it's no money out of our pocket. We went to the info session yesterday! It was great! It was 4hrs long but went by very fast. We learned so much I think it's great that they have an info session like that because it really shows you how much work it can be to have a dog and then you're able to weed out the people who shouldn't have a dog.

I think every rescue place should have something like that for dogs then they would have a lower turn around rate for returns. I was impressed there were around 12 people there or so, us and one other couple were the only ones going to foster and the rest were adopting.

The next load of Grey's will be the first week of May I think she said. Can't wait to get our foster!

Aww yay, greyhounds are amazing animals ^-^ My mom had a friend who breeds Belgian Sheepdogs and her sister went on vacation or something for a few weeks so one time while we went up there to play with the new pups Summer the Greyhound was there and I spent so much time running around the backyard. Unfortunately.. she also liked to rear up and put her paws on your shoulders when playing.. nearly ended up with a black eye lol, lots of power. Was a great day though <3 Can't wait for you to get one so we can get pics :D

Sorry to hear about the kitties, but it might be for the best for you guys in the long run, both financially and for your sanity! Cats are not always the "low maintenance" pets they're plugged as, and the hound+rats+cats+new house could add up pretty quickly.

Sounds like you got a lot of good info at the session. A great idea in theory but the greyhound rescue groups are a lot bigger than most other rescue groups.

I just made the coolest freaking dog bed ever! I need to go get two more pillows then I'll take pics of the final product! I'm so proud of myself lol I even put in a zipper that I have never done before and got it first try! I put a button on the bottom so I can button part of the fabric under the bed so there's no part of the zipper that could press into sensitive Greyhound skin :)

I think I'm going to have to make two more so we have one that's more girly and one that's neutral for when one cover is in the wash :)

Here are the pictures!

How comfy does that look!

I think I did great adding the zipper!

Back