My Sydney died

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please believe us when we say that you have nothing to feel guilty about. You are such a dedicated rat mama. Some rats with PT go downhill really fast. The tumour doesn't respond to Pred, and all you can do is comfort them and make sure they are cared for in their last days. It's fortunate that she is sleeping and not in pain... but such a big shock for you and your family to see her health deteriorate so quickly.

I remember SQ's Lois, who was an adventurous and energetic girl until a few days before she died. She was suddenly less active, then she couldn't eat solids, then two days later she died. I don't think she was fully conscious for the last day of her life. So fast. It was merciful for Lois, but very hard on everyone who loved her.

I am sad to think of the contrast between the way I remember Sydney and the way she is now. Please give her a pat and a kiss for me.

Thank you Godmother...I don't think Sydney is conscious....or in pain....good for her but very hard on us......I don't know what to do.....

I had a rat who went downhill fast from a PT. One day he stopped eating and he was gone the next morning. I just held him but I knew he wasn't aware of it.

I can completely relate to that guilty feeling of not being a better ratty mom.
But really ,we have to know that we do the best we can.

Sending you hugs & comforting thoughts from Ohio!

Sorry I didn't answer your question on pred. I get dossage info. from Debbie D.'s rat health care book.
I just poped in for a moment last week and again tonight as I have been ill.

Very sorry that Sidney hasn't been helped by the meds. PT is horrible and unfortunately not much can be done for it. Sounds like you have been taking excellent care of Sidney and giving her lots of love. You have done everything anyone could do.
Give Sidney a cuddle from me.

Thanks SQ...I took my book with me when I went...that is what my vet used....I called the vet in the city but he didn't feel it would do any good to bring her in to see him...He said my vet was already doing everything we could do....
There is no change this morning....I stopped giving her the meds yesterday morning...and syringing food in her....she won't swallow them......she is almost gone.....
Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well....hope you feel better soon.

My darling Sydney died yesterday evening.....I was holding her and she just stopped breathing.....It is so hard to believe that she is gone....I can't imagine our home without her......She was a real character......
Thank you everyone for the kind words....they made me cry but in a good way. It was nice to know that besides her family there where other people who cared about a little rattie girl.
Last night was very hard.....I took Jayden, Jacob and Dozer to bed with me for a while...They where so sweet........Jacob kept licking my tears of my cheeks and Dozer and Jayden laid across my head and shoulders.....it help but at the same time made me very sad to think that in a few short years I will have to lose these dolls as well.......
I'm just having a quiet day today with all my animals.....They are all a great comfort.....

I have framed prints of Sydney in my bathroom....she loved baths so I took a couple pictures of her in the suds and had them enlarged and put on my bathroom wall a few months ago......
It hurts to see her pictures but yet it helps....not sure if I’m making any sense...I just wanted to let everyone know and say again....thank you for caring

Oh Dahlas - im so sorry for your loss. And im so glad that you have the support of your family and furfamily to help you thought this difficult time.

Those pictures of Sydney in the bath are priceless, and a beautiful trubute to her beautiful little soul.

((Hugs))

Oh Dahlas!! :hugs: I'm so sorry about Syd! I was really hoping and praying that she would be alright and pull through :sad3: I'm so sorry! :hugs:

Thank you everyone.....your support has really helped. I know that you all know how it feels to lose one of these precious little souls.....The house feels so empty without her.....

I know your heart is hurting alot right now Dalhas - please try to remember that she's not really gone - shes just watching you from the bridge :heart:

Back