My Sydney died

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes pred can help with hind end problems if inflamation is causing or contributing to the problem. Of course with pred you need to also give an antibiotic as it lowers the immune system.

That is a good question Jo.....

SQ how much pred would you give and how much and what kind of antibiotics? My vet will give me what I ask for.
But he has no idea of how much.......
It must be a small amount of pred....I have a dog I look after with addisons disease...which he is on pred and other meds for...he only takes a 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet a day.......and he is a 75 pound lab.

Sydney has continued to go down hill....She still has no breathing problems, no lumps ...her back end is getting worse everyday. She can't walk very well and when she tries to groom herself she falls and rolls around..... ...she is still enjoying her daily warm baths....She seems to really appreciate me helping her keep clean....Her appetite is not good. Despite everything I have been feeding her she is losing weight rapidly... I have been syringing baby cereal and soy formula into her mouth. She will eat some of it but then she stops.......I have a vet appointment tomorrow morning for her.......

No...she could but not as of last night....she is.....tilted....her head and she falls over.....I'm holding her right now...I know it is bad.....
There is a big change since yesterday......

She may have pt or an inner ear infection.
Aggressive treatment with a steriod such as pred and an antibiotic such as baytril are the treatment for both conditions.

I have had her on pred and antibiotics since......last Wednesday...she has continued to good down hill....The vet didn't know what was wrong but suspected...a tumor....because of the back end and the way she is holding her head and the weight lose....which wasn't as noticeable as it is now......
He said he didn't see any signs of ear infection.

Does sound like PT, but only from what I have read.... I've never seen it.

Poor Syd... doing a sudden, steady decline, just like Emma. *sigh*

I am so sorry to hear about Sydney. Poor sweet girl. PT (if that's what it is, and it sounds like it) can come on so fast it takes your breath away. Kisses to Sydney, hugs to you.

Thank you Godmother....I'm not feeling very good right now...I have a bad feeling that tomorrow isn't going to be a good day........Sydie is really bad ...not in pain or she isn't acting like she is in any pain....But like all the life is going out of her..She is lying here looking at me and she looks so tired....I'm going to hold her all night......I know all of you know how hard this is...I can hardley type....I have felt so miserable since the yesterday...I had hoped that after getting her on the meds there would be some small improvemt.....but nothing so far.....

Sydney is no better......we increased the dose of pred....and she seemed to perked up a tiny bit yesterday afternoon....but is not good today....She is sleeping all the time, she isn't eating...I'm syringing food in and sometimes she won't swallow it.....She seems like she has given up...She doesn't seem to be in any pain....I have another vet appointment on Friday....the vet felt that if I didn’t see any improvement I should probably euthanize her.....I can't believe we are here...It is happening to fast....she was so full of it only a month ago......now we are almost to the end?
We are all so upset.....my poor daughter is crying every time she looks at Sydney.....
It is so hard to write this.....I feel so depressed and........I'm sure you all know....I went to work today and someone asked me what was wrong...I didn't tell them because they wouldn't care....they might have said something mean and then I would have exploded......They don't care about one little girl rat....but we care. We love her and don't want to lose her....but I don't think we have any choice.
Isn't it awful to feel so helpless....I wish I had been a better rat mommy....like so many of you on here...I'm learning and I try really hard.......but that won't do my poor little Syd much good....

Dahlas, my guess that it's a PT, there's nothing you can do about that. You are a wonderful rat mom. It's her time, it's her time to leave this world and go on to the next journey.
You and your family have done so much already and you need to see this as her natural decline in this life, take this time to say goodbye and tell her how wonderful it was to have known such a perfect little rat.
<<hugs>>

We all try so hard to do what's best for our ratties. This is not your fault, dahlas, Sydney has had a good, loving life with you. Cherish her in her last days. :hugs:

oh sweety!! This isn't your fault and there's nothing that you can do for her beyond what you are already doing, which is more than a lot of rats get when this happens. You are being an amazing mommy to dear Syd and she appreciates and loves you for it. Don't ever think that yo uare doing anything wrong as long as it is everything you can do, even if all you can do is love them, remember that it is more than soooo many rats get. :hugs: for you, my dear, You are wonderful and you are doing an amazing job with what you are able to do :hugs:

Thank you guys so much....I can't tell you how much you’re kind words mean to me...it is hard not to feel guilty....even though I know I try very hard to look after all my babies.
She is still sleeping....

Back