My Sydney died

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

My girl Sydney was 2 years old last month...up until now she has been in perfect health...shinny coat, moving good, eating great.....but the last few days she seems slower. Her coat is not a glossy, she doesn't run anymore.....she still comes and greats me, loves cuddling and is eating but not with the same gusto...
Woulds you guys be doing something different? Iam feeding her good lab blocks, some veggies, small amount of fruit...She gets out everyday for lots of exercise and cuddling......
Her breathing is good, no signs of runny eyes or porphyrin. She doesn't have any lumps......she is just moving slow.....

That's hard, knowing that there is a difference but not knowing whether there is a reason to worry. They can change so fast at that age.

Pats and kisses to sweet Sydney. :heart:

I wouldn't change anything if Sydney is still eating well and still explores. I know they have more rat naps at that age. I try to keep the same routine unless the rattie's needs change drastically.

Thank you Godmother and mamarat....We are used to Syd being full of piss and vinegar.
She has all of a sudden started acting like an old rat...At first we thought it was because there is a house full of youngsters and it just made us notice how calm Sydney was but in the last few days there has been a big change.....She sleeps more......coming out of her bed when you call her or open the door, not rushing to the bars every time you get close.......it is very sad to see her turn into a "good" girl.
I don't want my"wild" child to slow down....oh my :cry:

Keep an eye on how much she eats.
Sometimes when they get older, they can no longer manage hard foods like lab blocks, though they may still take them so you think they are eating.
If that happens, lab blocks made into mush and baby cereal with a bit of olive oil are good replacements for the hard blocks.

Thanks SQ.......I gave her a bit of formula for a treat tonight...and I soaked a few lab blocks and gave her the mush....she ate some of it.....

I've noticed that with my old guys too. It seems like old age hits them fast and hard. It's almost like the next day. She will have good days and slower days. Lots of extra cuddles!!

Thanks Jo....it is very sad isn't it....She is such a good girl and all I have left of my previous rat family :cry:
She is my hubby's special girl so he isn't very happy tonight. He wanted me to ask if there was anything anyone could think of to do...but there isn't anything to make her young again. I took a soft brush and gave her a grooming...she loved it and looks a bit glossier.....
I will watch her eating carefully to make sure she gets lots of good food.....

You should also make sure the younger ones are not "stealing" her food. I have some real old ones and the younger ones will take the food right out of their mouths.

It should be OK now that you are watching her. If it turns out that she is developing a URI or PT, you will soon see more definite signs and you will be able to treat her. Let's hope that it is just advancing age slowing her down.

aww sorry to hear that she's slowing down. so hard 'cause it makes us feel so helpless. hope she gets feelin better and lives many more months to come. lots of treats and hugs and kisses to her

I fully agree with you that it is hard to watch a beloved pet slow down but it sounds as if Sydney is in the best of hands with two humans completely devoted to her well being! :love4:

Hang in there! Always remember that it is the quality of life, which you provide to your babies, that counts; not the quantity. Sydney may surprise everyone yet and live for another 2 years! The piss and vinegar is probably still there.... she is just using it sparingly. :wink:

Poor Sydney is still acting very ....slow. She stumbles a bit on her back end..it is like she has paralyses in her back legs...not fully but a bit...they don't move good and they are very wobbly..I have checked her all over and can see nothing...no lumps, breathing is good, no discharge...but something is going on. She can't climb so I put in a nice fleece bag and she loves crawling in that to sleep....she is wobbly when she tries to groom...I take her out twice a day and sit her in some warm water (this rat loves water) and help her wash of her feet,tail and nether regions..I don't let her get a chill I make sure she is totally dry and warm...... she is eating good, she is really enjoying the soaked blocks, pablum and soy formula....Yesterday morning she seemed a bit puffy while she was sitting looking around...so I thought she might have a bit of pain...I gave her a bit of medicam....repeated again and she seems a bit better...not puffy and and moving around more.
Since the medicam she is not puffy and is moving more but everything else is the same....any ideas?

She sounds old. A lot of our rats lose their hind end mobility when they age. I have 3 going through it right now. Only use the metacam when she seems uncomfortable (a bad day perhaps?)

Other than all that sad normal stuff, she sounds like she is doing well and in good hands for this latter part of her life. :)

Thank you very much lilspaz68....I will only use the metacam when she is having a bad day.....
It came on very suddenly.....but she is 25 months...not old compared to other peoples rats on here but old for mine...My oldest so far has been 27 months :cry: .....
Hopefully as I learn to care for them better they will live longer. I'm trying very hard to give them everything I can......
Sydney is a great girl. She cetainly doesn't seem in distress....just very slow and like you said "old"
She is loving all the extra attention and cuddling and the special food....LOL....
So unless anything changes just keep doing what I have been doing?
Keep her clean, comfortable , happy and well fed.......and keep checking for lumps, breathing problems etc......

That's it totally. :)

25 months is still a good age. Often rats start serious aging as soon as they hit 2 so she is aging normally. I lose rats from 18 months (PT) to 27 months on average (but this might be changing/lengthening since I have changed my care with the newer generation), so your girl could have some lovely months ahead of her. You are very lucky she likes to sit in the water for a bit of a bath. You also may want to scratch her all over, she'll let you know when/where it feels good, and rub those ears. You can insert a Q-tip carefully and twirl it and she will put the pressure on that she prefers...they do love to stick those hind nails in their ears :lol:

I do so :heart: the oldies

Thank you again...I will try the Q-tip...she loves having her ears and head scratched....she will close her eyes and stay there as long as I rub....
She never was a cuddly rat until she turned 20 months or so....the older she gets the cuddlier she gets..She will cuddle in my arm and stay there for hours. I try and take her out to hold every chance get.

Every rat has their own clock ticking. My Loki didn't start acting old until she was 40 months. But my sweet Sophie is already there at only 17 months. It really sucks. :(

Back