My senior citizens - Update Jan 18/14 P5

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

I am down to six ratties, the fewest I have had in almost three years! They are all senior citizens. I have a Double Critter Nation that I set up to try and make it easier for them to get around, including adding an extra shelf in each half, and reducing the rise (slope?) of the ramps:

IMG_1107_zpscad0423e.jpg

The gang includes:
Momma Petunia - she was rescued almost two years ago with her litter of seven babies. She NEVER stops moving, and even though she has limited use of her hind legs, she can be found shuffling around on the floor trying to zoom around. It was hard to get a picture of her that wasn't blurry! She is approximately 30 months old.
IMG_1115_zpsa46e5d70.jpg

Her daughter Poppy - she is one of the two babies to stay with me. She is the biggest girl I have ever had, and is so round it is amazing she doesn't waddle! She is 23 months old.
IMG_1134_zps5a9718a5.jpg

Her other daughter Daffy - she is the new boss of the cage since Dudley left. She is like her mom in that she never sits still and is always moving and very energetic. She is also 23 months old.
IMG_1126_zps4071ee0f.jpg

Then we have the three siblings from the older group. They were from a bunch of babies in Dartmouth, NS that needed to be homed. I brought two brothers and two sisters home. Dudley left us earlier from bone cancer. RIP sweet boy :heart:
Sabrina is in the best shape of this bunch, and is very sweet. I love her dark, soft eyes... She is 35 months old.
IMG_1118_zps6c9c0c61.jpg

Ellie Mae is slowing down, and has limited use of her hind legs. She still manages to get into the hammock in the lower half of the CN, which is her favorite spot to sleep. She is 35 months old.
IMG_1121_zps9fd282b9.jpg

And last, but not least, we have Calvin. He is the last man standing although he can't stand any more. His HED is so bad he can't use his hind legs any more, but still gets up and down the ramps, although sometimes he has to take a break. He is also 35 months old.
IMG_1129_zps8352e67c.jpg

The girls say 'Hi, whatcha got?'
IMG_1138_zps93c2661a.jpg

And those are my oldies! Love you my sweeties! :heart:

Such sweet girls and boy! They all are to die for! :thud:

Sabrina... she REALLY doesn't look her 35 months! Gosh, she even looks younger than Poppy! :shock:

Aw they are so beautiful! Its great to see your oldie set up! I got a CN specifically because I thought it would be a good cage to accommodate oldies. Your Calvin reminds me so much of my new boys. Poppy has the sweetest face! I love her little white spot.

Oh wow! They are a bunch of little old ladies and old man rats. Still so very pretty and handsome.
You must take such great care of them. Lucky ratties!

Thanks, they are wonderful, aren't they. :giggle:
They are the reason why I have decided I'm not going away this fall. I just can't bear to leave them with someone else when they get this old and frail. Ah well, there's always next year... ;)

I had the upper door open last night and Ellie Mae did a tumble off the shelf out the door and down four feet! I keep an exercise mat on the floor in front of the cage when it's open, and she landed on her shoulders and back on top of a shoe box on the mat. Yikes! I scooped her up and offered her some more blueberry grunt. I figured if she were really injured, she wouldn't be interested in food. *GRAB* and shuffled off behind a ramp. Geez old lady, give me a heart attack! LOL

Well, it's official!
Happy 3rd birthday to Ellie Mae, Sabrina, and Calvin!!!!!!
Honorary 3rd birthday to Momma Petunia (unsure of date...)
and Happy 2nd birthday to Petunia's girls Daffy and Poppy!!!!!!!!
Everyone made it :dance:

:dance: :joy: :flowers4U: :redcake: :happydance: :mcake: :hurray: :congrats!: :congrats!!: :b-cake:

YAY! Look at this gorgeous emoticon birthday party for the ratties! Wish all of your oldies good luck in their golden years, and give them all scritches and kisses for me! :heart:

Back