my rat is a hermaphrodite?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can upload them to photobucket, and then put the links here like

people keep saying it was an abscess that broke, etc and that her long space is normal. and that she has a normal vagina and there's no signs of testicles, when even my vet said s/he was a male. it isn't letting me post pictures from photobucket. so let me try this
photo.php

kathleenford said:
people keep saying it was an abscess that broke, etc and that her long space is normal. and that she has a normal vagina and there's no signs of testicles, when even my vet said s/he was a male. it isn't letting me post pictures from photobucket. so let me try this
photo.php

You is telling you this? I sometimes have trouble with photobucket too. On the bottom right you will see 4 boxes, clicked the bottom one and it should say copied then just come here and paste.

people from a Rattie Chattie rescue group on facebook, saying it was impossible for intersexed rats to have babies, etc. saying that his/her "testicles" were abscesses, etc. some girl got very ignorant towards me, and i called her out on it.. than i got deleted from the group. and alright, i'll try that!

for the life of me the images that show up as swirls wont show up for me but the images that are little squares will...what am I doing wrong? i'd like to see

That's definitely a normal female. When rats have undescended testicles, they have lumps in their abdomen. I find it troubling your vet couldn't sex an adult rat.

Her vaginal opening is WAY further away from her anus than all four of my female rats. I wish you had a picture of the testicles. Can you feel lumps in her abdomen?

that's what i'm getting at, her space is weird and there was something there! my vet can sex a rat, she's been an "exotic" vet for 20 years now, and she's the best around here. she felt something there, and so did i. she even remembers when i brought her/him when i first got her/him. s/he has a very bad head tilt from an ear infection before i got her/him, but it's cleared right up. she wants to do an xray because she doesn't know why s/he is still sucking up the testicles. i don't know what to do with the babies though.

babies are doing very good, and s/he is very calm with me touching them, etc. i actually just took more pictures of them. their ears look really big, and they're coming off their heads like dumbo ears, but it's all of them.. i need to find a bigger nursery, i have a 45 gallon i think it is(?) but i have no cover. it'd be better than a plastic bin that's for sure, lol. his name was Dee, but now i kinda call her/him Dee-Dee because it's a girls name i guess? i have no idea. didn't really think about it.

If you watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the main woman character is called Dee and I had a girl cat named Deedee. It works either way. ;p I was looking at pictures that others have posted that show the difference between males and females genitals, and that rat looks more like a young male (but with a vaginal opening). It's really weird!!!

aw! well, i'll be calling her/him Dee-Dee. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE, THANK GOD! i really need to learn how to post pictures... haha. babies are growing like crazy. they're only 5 days old :(

Latest posts

Back