My chicks have arrived!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved reading this thread.. it reminded me of growing up on the farm. It was always my responsibility to take care of the chicks as a kid, and watching them go from the incubator, into the coop, was always a rewarding experience, especially when they started laying eggs after all that hard work. There is NOTHING like a fresh chicken egg! Store bought don't come CLOSE! When I get older, I plan on having a farm again. It was an awesome way to grow up, learning how to respect the earth and it's creatures, and I definitely want to raise my kids in that way.

I don't think I ever did get the newest pictures posted. Anyways, my chickens are still doing well, and one even hatched a chick! (She came up limping one day. Couldn't find anything wrong with her, but separated her so she wouldn't get picked on and didn't have to compete for food and water. While she was on recovery I let her sit on eggs. Only one hatched, I think the last few days before they hatch the heat wave was too much for the remaining eggs. So far she's being a good mom to that one chick though!) I forget when these pictures were taken, but they are at least a few months ago.

All pictures can be found here: http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/s ... /chickens/

chickens2-1.jpg

chickens5.jpg

chickens19.jpg

chickens6-1.jpg

chickens18.jpg

chickens12-1.jpg

chickens13-1.jpg

chickens16.jpg

They turned out to be beautiful. Did you only end up with one rooster?

My vet told me he had 5 roosters driving him mad. I laughed and asked why he would have 5 roosters he said they were not suppose to be roosters. I thought of you instantly.

There were 2 roosters. They got along for almost a year, then started to fight. I have been told if I leave them together they'll work it out within a couple weeks, but frankly I can't have fighting roosters. I don't think it's fair to them, and I don't want to risk the chance of serious injury. (They aren't fighting birds that will continue to fight to the death, but that doesn't mean injury can't occur either!) So one had to go away. Only one rooster left now. He's a lot happier, more relaxed, and crowing less now too.

hopefloats said:
that is cool. So did you order more chickens? or are you expecting babies?

No more chick orders for now, and for the time being not expecting any more to hatch. If my hens are still acting broody in the fall, I might try to let another sit. Two are acting broody now, but I just don't trust the weather to stay mild enough for them to successfully hatch. Picking up 3 silky bantam hens (for pets, not eggs, though they will lay eggs, just nothing to write home about) tomorrow, and may get a few more chickens next month, but not sure yet. :)

Chickens are so much fun!

Wish I could have a miniature farm like this where I live!

But the chickens look awesome :D what camera did you use to capture so much detail?

Back