My chicks have arrived!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorraia

For a while I've decided I will get chickens for home-grown/laid eggs, its just been a matter of waiting for the right timing so I can get their coop/run built and am prepared for their arrival. That time has finally come, and they arrived today! 5:15am today I received a call from the post office (unlike most other animals, chickens can be safely and legally delivered via the postal service, as long as they are shipped in appropriate containers and over night or 2-3 day shipping for hatch day chicks, which can survive that time because they still have the remains of their yolk in their abdomen and do not require food or water for the first few days of life), my chicks were there and peeping, come get them! As soon as I got the message I was there (took the day off work to be sure I would be available to pick them up as soon as I got the call) to pick them up. They are now set up and happy in their brooder, happily peeping away, eating, drinking, resting, enjoying the easy life of a chick. They are so darn cute, I almost can't leave them alone! Even though they aren't really doing much, I just want to sit and watch them all day. I couldn't get pictures right away because my camera battery needed to recharge, but now that it has, here are the pictures!

Here is their brooder. They will be moved to bigger quarters in a few days to a week, depending on how quickly they grow and start moving around more. For now this is sufficient and will keep them warm and protected. I have them set up in my sewing room, since I can shut the door and keep them safe from the cats and dogs, it is quiet and peaceful, and I can safely shut the air vent so they can stay warm and draft free (right now they require a temperature of about 96-98 degrees F). They have a red light to help prevent feather picking (chickens are attracted to red, and if they see blood, such as what might occur if a new feather breaks, they will begin to pick at it and can cause serious damage to themselves or each other). The light is also placed at one end of the brooder, instead of the middle, so the chicks can move closer or farther away as needed to stay at a comfortable temperature. I have a thermometer set up to monitor the temperature under the light, but also need to judge the chicks' behavior. So far they are happily moving about, not crammed together on one end of the brooder or the other, which means they are at a comfortable temperature.
chicks.jpg

Here are the chicks under their light, warm and comfy.
chicks2.jpg

And here's a quick picture of the chicks without the red light so you can see their colorful cuteness. The yellowish/gray chicks are Columbian Wyandottes, the cinnamon colored chicks (such as the one in the bottom right corner of the picture) are Speckled Sussex, the tannish/brown chicks (such as the chick in the middle bottom of the picture) are Golden Laced Wyandottes, and the grayish/black chicks (such as the chick in the left bottom corner of the picture) are Silver Laced Wyandottes.
chicks3.jpg

Adorable!!! If I had my own house, I'd totally have chickens too! A friend of mine just got 2 x 4 month old Silver Laced Wyandottes too, they are so beautiful!

eagle said:
So your going to share eggs right

These two breeds are known to produce about 4-5 eggs per hen per week. Even if a few of these chicks turn out to be males (they are supposed to all be sexed as female, but at 1 day old mistakes can happen) and even if a few don't make it to adulthood (not terribly unusual), I will have MORE than enough to share! ;)

That is so cute. I would love to have chicks to lay eggs for me, so I'd know they were well treated and stuff.

They are so cute...I had chickens as a kid and LOVED them....Nice to have fresh eggs...and we had a very friendly old Rooster named King..... he loved to ride on the handlebars of my bike.(I think he secretly wanted to be an eagle)

The chicks are adorable! I look forward to seeing photos of them as they grow up.

Dahlas, the image of a rooster on the front of a bike just cracks me up (if you will pardon the pun)!

Congrats ..... nice to know they will have a good life with you
[spoiler:2pu2t9rt]http://www.cetfa.com/images/stories/Canadas_Cruel_Hatchery_Industry.pdf[/spoiler:2pu2t9rt]

You are right, I did make an assumption that they were likely bred following industry standard practice since method of delivery was standard practice, they were taken away frm their mamas way too young, and other info was not provided. I put the link as educational info for anyone reading your post who might be interested. I am aware you are not in Canada.
I was not trying to ruin your happy thread.
I do not dislike you
and I admit that I was very happy to make the assumption that those sweet babies will have a wonderful life with you.

SQ said:
You are right, I did make an assumption that they were likely bred following industry standard practice since method of delivery was standard practice and other info was not provided. I put the link as educational info for anyone reading your post who might be interested. I am aware you are not in Canada.
I did not intend to ruin your happy thread.
I do not dislike you
and I admit that I was very happy to make the assumption that those sweet babies will have a wonderful life with you.

The method of delivery is standard practice for ANY poultry, whether they are coming from a large factory or a small private farm. I personally would rather have birds shipped to me from some place I have researched and trust than to purchase locally from a feed store where they probably did come from a large, inhumane factory or from some backyard breeder churning out mixed breeds for no purpose other than to make quick money. I also put a lot of effort into researching the various breeds available to me to pick out those that would be suit my household and lifestyle, and to avoid those breeds produced strictly for high production at the expense of the animal.

Also, I think your link would have been better placed in its own thread, rather than trying to turn mine into a huge debate. This is one of the reasons I so rarely post here any more, there is always someone out to make me feel like the bad guy.

I don't think SQ was implying anything about you, Sorraia. I didn't follow the link that was posted but I assume from the title of it that it was simply meant to remind everybody of the conditions in factory farms.

However, I completely agree that the link has no place here. It has nothing to do with the topic and it's presence is unnecessarily upsetting and disruptive.

Back to the topic at hand: you new additions are adorable! I would love to have chickens but local by-laws prohibit it. I've been trying to find a loop-hole but, so far, no luck lol. Congrats!!

So far the chicks are doing great! All of them are still alive! (As bad as it sounds to make that statement, I've known other people who have had really high mortality in the first few weeks. I now suspect that is due to either improper care, poorly bred/unhealthy chicks, or some combination of both.) I moved them into a bigger brooder today. At first they were a bit unhappy and overwhelmed with the amount of space they had. One or two chicks sat on the edge of the group peeping loudly for about 5 minutes (unhappy peeping) trying to figure out what's going on. But soon one chick made a discovery: They have wings! And once the first chick started flapping its wings, running, jumping, and trying to "fly", the others quickly copied, and soon all the chicks were celebrating their new found "freedom"! Shortly after they figured out they still had food and water too, and started happily munching/drinking away. Right now, that's about all these chicks do: eat, drink, sleep, and poop. They are still very cute and fun to watch though. lol

In the brooder:
chicks12.jpg

chicks15.jpg

chicks9.jpg

chicks10.jpg

chicks11.jpg

And some close-ups showing their feathers coming in:
(PS: the way I am holding them in these pictures does not hurt them, and is the safest, most secure way to hold them. Their neck is secured between my index and middle finger which helps to keep them from flailing their head around, while the rest of their body is secured in my palm. This supports their weight and keeps them feeling comfortable so they don't struggle and hurt themselves.)
columbian_wyandotte2.jpg

speckled_sussex.jpg

golden_laced_wyandotte2.jpg

silver_laced_wyandotte.jpg

And who couldn't resist this face?
columbian_wyandotte.jpg

Back