My chicks have arrived!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MissGuardian said:
Sorraia said:
MissGuardian said:
You might have answered this before but I couldn´t find it..
Will these be pets only? Just curious..
Most I know with chicks eat them, but I could never do that.. :?

They are "pets" that will provide the "service" of laying eggs. I will have to rehome some though, since I can't keep 23 chickens or any roosters. (3 chicks were extra, and the 20 others I ordered because all I had ever heard was high mortality in chicks.... since all 23 are still alive, either I'm really doing something right, they are really healthy, or most likely a combination of both.)
I see.
I was just curious as to were they will be food or just pets(who lay eggs obviously :roll: )

I understand. :)
It is kind of hard to explain, because I didn't decide to get chickens thinking "I'm going to have pet chickens!" It really was about them laying eggs. However, I don't look at them as simply providing a "product" either, so in that way they are "pets", that just wasn't the primary intention behind getting them. I really don't look at any animal (including those that are consumed) as simply providing a "product". They are all living beings deserving of respect and honor as living beings (and in the case of those animals who directly provide food, need to be given special respect for their sacrifice). (As a side note - In all honesty if I were able to do so, I would prefer to raise my own food anyways, so know exactly where it came from, what it was fed, how it was raised and cared for, and how it was treated before, during, and after its sacrifice. However I am not in the position to do so - I don't have enough land, nor would city ordinances allow it.) It was for this reason though, that I specifically requested pullets (young hens) instead of getting "straight run" (that is, unsexed) chicks. Even though I requested pullets, mistakes can be made and a few cockerels may have snuck in. So far it looks like most are probably going to be hens, and the one suspect cockerel so far may have been one of the extras, since I some how doubt they took the time to sex those.

i would love to have chickens to lay eggs/pets. not sure why cause i don't have any experience with them. can't wait to see both Laced Wyandottes all grown up

The "chicks" aren't really chicks any more! Although a couple still have some down, for the most part they look like miniature chickens. Within the next week or two I should be able to move them outside. I've been leaving the windows open so they can get used to day/night temperature fluctuations, in an attempt to acclimate them so moving outside isn't such a big shock on their system. That also means I need to get busy finishing their coop! The hen house portion of it is mostly finished (just need to add roosting perches and some nest boxes), but I need to finish the run portion of it. Except for the one, I'm not seeing any other chicks that stand out as young cockerels, just yet.

bigchicks32.jpg

bigchicks39.jpg

bigchicks33.jpg

bigchicks34.jpg

bigchicks35.jpg

bigchicks36.jpg

bigchicks37.jpg

And doesn't this just remind you of rats or dogs begging for attention or treats?! I swear I've never fed these guys by hand before, and despite that they seem to recognize me as the source of their food, and expect hand outs every time I sit down next to their pen! lol

bigchicks38.jpg

played that first one since i missed it in chat today, Rats did not like that noise, they scattered back to their cage and are now on the look out!

They are to cute. I love the video since I never have nor will i see baby chickens lol

This is not finished yet, but here is the coop so far. It is called a "tractor coop", which essentially means it is on wheels and can be moved. I liked that idea better than a stationary coop so I could move it from spot to spot and make clean up easier (hopefully). I need to attach latches to the gates (the top gate at the end of the run is hanging down currently, in case you wondered what that was lol), then add wire, shade cloth to the top, roosts to the hen house (and eventually nest boxes), and it will be complete!

coop.jpg

The chicks are now outside. They are a little overwhelmed with their new housing, but seem to be getting used to it. I am not sure I can call them chicks for much longer though!

Last inside pictures:
bigbigchicks.jpg

bigbigchicks2.jpg

In the great outdoors:
bigbigchicks3.jpg

bigbigchicks4.jpg

bigbigchicks5.jpg

bigbigchicks6.jpg

bigbigchicks7.jpg

Completed coop:
coop2.jpg

coop3.jpg

And this is to demonstrate how bad their feather dust is. That CD case is SUPPOSED to be black. I have some major "spring" cleaning to do now. :(
featherdust.jpg
v

I have a question because I would also like to have a few hens one day (if I live somewhere where it's possible and that permits it) and I'm curious: is that coop big enough for them to live in? Or do they need to be let out to run around daily?

Very cool pics by the way, I haven't been checking in on this thread recently but it's nice to see them grow and that all of them survived!

victoria said:
I have a question because I would also like to have a few hens one day (if I live somewhere where it's possible and that permits it) and I'm curious: is that coop big enough for them to live in? Or do they need to be let out to run around daily?

Very cool pics by the way, I haven't been checking in on this thread recently but it's nice to see them grow and that all of them survived!

That coop is not big enough for all of the chicks to remain in. The actual plans for the coop says it can house 8-10 full sized hens, but if you work out the actual measurements it comes out closer to 7.5 adult birds. Each bird requires about 4 sq ft of space in the run. With the run on this coop being 10'x3', I have 30 sq ft of space available, divided by 4 sq ft per bird is 7.5 birds total (unless I did my math wrong...). The chicks aren't yet bantam sized, so I still have some time before I need to start rehoming them.

I'm considering building an "extended run" area to attach to that, just to give them additional space to move around in. I'd love to let them out to roam, but it's just too dangerous here. Even if I clipped their wings (doesn't hurt the birds, involves cutting the flight feathers only on at least one wing to prevent them from being able to fly effectively) to keep them in the yard, they are still exposed to hawks. There is a nesting pair of Red-tailed Hawks in the neighborhood who have at least one juvenile learning to forage on its own. Chickens would make a great easy meal for it. :(
If I didn't clip their wings and let them roam, they'd be able to get into the neighbors' yards or into the flood plain behind my yard. In the neighbors' yards they'll be exposed to dog who won't hesitate to kill them, and in the flood plain behind my house they'd be exposed to the coyotes who live in the area and frequent the flood plain. There could be weasels out there too. Fortunately the coyotes are unlikely to try to enter my yard. If they did, they would have 2 horses to contend with in one half, and 2 medium/large dogs to deal with in the other half.

Thanks! I understand why you wouldn't want them to free roam, I live in a city and one of my biggest fears in regards to keeping hens are prey birds, raccoons, coyotes, cats, dogs, etc. It's not acceptable to me to "lose" a few hens to predators but I would also want them to have a good life. I saw a pre-fab coop recently that would probably fit 4-6 hens as per those requirements, so it's nice to know it would be suitable. Still need to have a house and do a lot more research, but this is encouraging :)

I also know that clipping the wings of any domestic bird is often a good idea... you wouldn't believe how many stray birds get turned into our SPCA (those are the ones that survive the elements and hazards of an urban environment) and how hard it is to find their rightful home.

victoria said:
Thanks! I understand why you wouldn't want them to free roam, I live in a city and one of my biggest fears in regards to keeping hens are prey birds, raccoons, coyotes, cats, dogs, etc. It's not acceptable to me to "lose" a few hens to predators but I would also want them to have a good life. I saw a pre-fab coop recently that would probably fit 4-6 hens as per those requirements, so it's nice to know it would be suitable. Still need to have a house and do a lot more research, but this is encouraging :)

I also know that clipping the wings of any domestic bird is often a good idea... you wouldn't believe how many stray birds get turned into our SPCA (those are the ones that survive the elements and hazards of an urban environment) and how hard it is to find their rightful home.

When you get to that point, if you are interested in building a coop there are a number of options available. I bought my plans from mypetchicken.com. They have a smaller version of the coop I bought too (don't know size off hand though), as well as a number of other coops. It may not be something you are interested in, but if so building can be cheaper than the pre fab coops sometimes. :)

I haven't decided if I'm going to clip their wings yet. I don't have any moral objections to it (they don't need to fly, and chickens aren't strong flyers anyways, and the feathers are insensitive), it is just the hassle of doing so. ;) It probably wouldn't be a bad idea, just in case someone decided to sneak out while I was changing food/water or collecting eggs...

They seem to be adjusting to outdoor life. It is a warm day, so they are a little uncomfortable withe temperature, but not suffering either. Their coop has had shade all day, and I'm continuing to watch it as the sun moves to make sure it continues to have shade available. Their water is in the shade too, so shouldn't warm up too much for them. Right now they are hiding out in the hen house. I'm not sure if that's because it is actually cooler in there, or if it's because it is also windy out and maybe they don't like the wind.... hard to say! lol

victoria said:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I just wanted to say that clipping wings doesn't necessarily mean that a bird won't fly away. Many clipped birds are still capable of some flight and, if they catch a good wind, can still get lost from their owners. It's my personal opinion that clipping leads to a false sense of security when it comes to taking the bird outside. Clipped or not, any bird taken outside (just like any other animal) needs to be properly restrained, for their own safety.

I know that "to clip or not to clip" is a whole debate in itself, so I won't go there lol. Again, sorry for hijacking.

I really love their colors. I bet you really love having them outside now. I had chickens when I was young they are fun, not pony or puppy fun but still fun. lol

Update!

Chicks are now 2.5 months old, and all 23 are still alive! So much for all those people who told me to expect high mortality because that's what they experienced... makes me think they just plain did something wrong! Anyways, the chicks are not so "chick" any more, now more like chickens. I'm allowing them out of their coop while I'm home, and they love being able to run around and eat bugs, weeds, horse poop, whatever else they can find. They don't want to be touched or held, but are still quite friendly and will follow me around, pecking at my toes, fingers, rings, whatever else about me interests them. They aren't wandering too far away from their coop yet, but are slowly getting more adventurous. I really don't want to let them out when I'm not home, just because too much can happen, so they are really only getting about 3 hours or so of out time on weekdays. After those 3 hours it gets dark and they go back to their coop to go to bed, and I close the gate so nothing manages to sneak in and try to get them at night. Turns out there are 2 cockerels, not just one. They are squaring off now and then, one looks like he's been pecked at a few times, probably the more submissive of the two. One of them is crowing too, but it isn't much of a crow yet. One of my neighbors actually likes hearing the crow! lol

chickens3.jpg

chickens7.jpg

chicken5.jpg

chickens6.jpg

chicken10.jpg

chickens8.jpg

chickens13.jpg

chickens14.jpg

They are good desensitizing "tools" for the horses too. The chickens have no qualms against running around underneath the horses, including scratching the ground and flapping their wings. Good way to get the horses used to having strange sounds and objects under them. At first the horses didn't like it much, but now they don't seem to care as much!

chickens15.jpg

chickens12.jpg

Back