MRRG's rescue Jack RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Shelagh! I'm amazed how nice he is where he's not feelin good. If I were him I'd be so grumpy lol but he just bruxxes and boggles and gives me kisses. I think he knows he's in for a good rest of his life.

Poor sweetheart! No wonder he is not grumpy. He knows he's having heaven on earth now. He has such a sweet face.

Those feet look so awful, so I am glad that you were able to get him into the vet so soon. Kisses and virtual banana mash to him. :heart:

Jack greeted me at the cage door this morning :) He took in some scritches but didn't want to be picked up so I let him be. He takes his meds really great which is a huge help. Waiting for Ang to get up and help me put the cream on his feet. It was hard doin it myself the other day so I want to make sure I get the cream on his feet really good today.

He's loving the labblocks and had them out everywhere lol He's a funny guy this one.

Jack seems to be doing good after the whole ordeal last night. Thanks again to LA and Shelagh for being around and helping me! When we were cleaning Jack's feet we noticed his penis was sticking out and it was blue! Turns out he has that paraphomis...how ever you spell it. What a way to bring in the new year with getting gross think yellow junk out of a rat's penis :sick2: Was so nasty. But at least he's feeling better but we'll have to check it each day now. I hope the poor guy can lose some weight so he can clean himself instead of me doing it lol

This boy is sure bringing all the firsts to us...quite the experenice for sure.

Just imagine what would have happened if he were still with his old owner, if she couldn't treat his bumblefoot, what the heck would she do with an infected penis! So glad he's there with you guys. Every time you help him he's in heaven thinking "Wow, this hurts and they fixed it! They really care about me! JACKPOT!"

Jack had paraphimosis, where something (usually swelling) prevents the penis from going back into the sheath. It has to be taken care of promptly and rats have died from it being untreated. Linds did all the right things then pulled us all into chat to see lovely pics LOL

Ang got the penis back in but there was a lot of yellowish (non-infected) guck. This is actually what penis plugs are made of when they are hard. We shan't go into too much detail...but I do think Linds should put up those before and after pics under a Spoiler. :D

Poor Jack is old, and fat and not particularly flexible but as an intact man rat he's going to need checking and possibly cleaning out daily until he loses weight and can do it himself or for the rest of his lucky old life :)

I can't wait to hear about a good update for Jack, he deserves one!! :heart:

Here are the pics as requested. Don't let Jack know his 'thing' is posted all over the net lol poor guy

This is when he had the penis plug
[spoiler:2xznk4at]
DSCF0025-3.jpg
[/spoiler:2xznk4at]

DSCF0027-2.jpg

DSCF0029-1.jpg

And after we got all the nasty gunk out of there.
afterpenisissue.jpg

afterpenisissue2.jpg

When I went to bed all I could see in my mind was that whole experience. What a way to ring in the new year lol :roll:

I'm at work but once Ang is up I'll get her to check on Jack again and see how he's doin.

Thank you for posting pics (and for lilspaz for suggesting). It's good for us owners to see this stuff, so we know just in case! Poor Jack, bet he feels better now :)

Poor Jack! And I sure don't envy you guys for having to face that on NYEve.

Thanks for posting those photos. All of us with manrats need to know what to watch for and what to do if the situation arises, so to speak. Three of my four boys are over two, and they weigh more than they should, so I will keep an eye out for trouble.

Your sweet boy's equipment looks much better now. Let's hope that he has the chance to lose weight and get back to grooming himself. He is a lucky boy. :heart:

Poor Jack had a lot of gunk again today in his man parts. So crazy how in just one day it can accumulate! He wasn't to impressed but he took it like a man and got some yummy veggie shake so he forgave us lol

I think his feet are starting to look a little better. They're not as scaby that's for sure no like the other day. I think the cream must be working on them. His feet and ankles are still quite swollen.

How long can he have metacam for?

I'm wondering if his feet are swollen from infection along with his weight and the bumblefeet?

If Jack becomes healthy enough for a neuter, that would go a long way toward helping his penis problem.
Poor little guy, definately a "special needs" rattie.

all i can say is that jack is such a sweet boy. it kills me to think about "what if he was still with his old owner" ... she has a new baby and made it clear that she had no time for jack. poor boy has us poking and prodding all of his sore parts. hes gonna feel so much better later on but i still feel bad for the poor kid. he seemed to have an extra twinkle in his eye today tho :D and he sure loves to sit in our arms and take in the pattings ... he has the biggest bruxxes and boggles ive seen in a long time! i adore this boy! what spirit he has!

lilspaz68 said:
Those feet looked messed up, but not really infected. Part of the swelling may also be his weight.

Poor bugger, he's productive isn't he? :wink2:

lol he is for sure.

I'd be afraid for him for a neuter. He seems pretty old and he's not in the best health.

Glad to hear Jack is in your capable hands and is being taken care of. I wonder if some of the swelling can be attributed to scarring? If so, then his feet would never return to 'normal', but I think as long as the sores heal, that would be as good as it's going to get. If he's been ignored for the last few months, he's probably feeling like he's in heaven!
Have you intro'd him to anyone yet?

Back