Montreal SPCA - Exotics Department - many, many rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll ask if she has more details but in my emails I have the reason for surrender as "ne peut plus s'en occuper" and, according to the family, he lived in a hamster sized cage. A lot of people don't fill out that supplementary form or they provide very little info when they do.

Carole didn't adopt the girls either! A girl I met at the vet a while back contacted us about fostering and she fell in love :) I'm SO happy, she seems like a great home.

:dance: That's good!!!

My God... hamster size cage? No wonder he was popcorning like mad when I moved the boys into the huge rabbit cage!!!

Kiki! 6 month (I think more like 3-4 month old) male surrendered today. Really nervous and scared :/. Surrendered because of allergies...

IMG_0226.jpg

I'm taking/sending rats to the Toronto region soon if someone's interested in this boy, he can come along :D

I haven't kept this thread updated in recent months but here goes:

We currently have 5 rats in our care and more coming...

Kimmy (blue dumbo berk, 18 months) and Bug (Siamese, 8 months) are my fosters and will probably stay unless I find a really good home for them. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater Kimmy is timid and reserved and she lives to nest. Bug is the opposite, she never stops running and climbing and doesn't slow down for anything. Bug is very dominant, not aggressive, which works fine with Kimmy but it may make for interesting introductions with another rat with a strong personality. Both girls are in great health.

Yesterday we received three rats. We thought they were transfers from another shelter we were expecting but they are not. Two females and a male, together. No pictures yet but they will come soon. We think we have a home for the male but the females will need a foster (ideally) to socialize the babies and then we will need homes for all of them. (It's possible the foster will be a forum member and we'll get lots of updates :D)

We are expecting a trio of males from another shelter as well: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater They came in with four females and the other shelter has them and their litters as well so we are taking the males to take some pressure off their small exotics department. They look fairly young (6-8 months?) in the video but they will be hard to adopt as not a lot of adopters are interested in trios.

If anyone's interested in adopting any of these rats you can email me at [email protected]. There may be a possibility of transport to the GTA and beyond, it depends on the health of my bunny right now though as she has been in stasis for quite some time and requires a lot of care. I also get reasonable spay and neuter prices through my vet, if anyone is interested I can have them sterilized prior to adoption.

Not looking at this thread... not looking at this thread... not looking at this thread...

Overwhelmed right now... and way over my number! :wallbang:

Unepuce said:
I didn't see this... I didn't see this...

My Gosh, he looks just like Charlie! :heart:

Kiki and his buddy Robin were actually adopted by another forum member, Mearaid. It's so funny how young he was in that pic, you can see he hadn't finished molting yet.

ETA: It seems like I'm a sucker so I will likely be fostering the pregnant females. I'd love to get them spayed instead but I can't afford that right now so we'll likely have babies. Hopefully they will be small healthy litters.

victoria said:
Kiki and his buddy Robin were actually adopted by another forum member, Mearaid. It's so funny how young he was in that pic, you can see he hadn't finished molting yet.

This is Kiki this afternoon.

Rats007_zps6874ed8c.jpg

And with his buddy Robin.

Rats002_zps02a047ef.jpg

Adopting Kiki and Robin from the SPCA was one of the best decisions we have made, we are totally in love with them...even my husband who wasn't too fond of the idea has come around and has been spotted sneaking them treats when he thinks I'm not looking and snoozing on the couch with them. Now if I could just convince him Edison needs to come home to us too.

Mairead said:
Adopting Kiki and Robin from the SPCA was one of the best decisions we have made, we are totally in love with them...even my husband who wasn't too fond of the idea has come around and has been spotted sneaking them treats when he thinks I'm not looking and snoozing on the couch with them. Now if I could just convince him Edison needs to come home to us too.

Haha! Keep working on him, he sounds like he'll come around ;) If you like, I can book you and the rest of the family an appointment to 'meet' him before you decide - he won't be able to say no!

As promised, here are Tx (beige hooded), Mike (black hooded) and Zon (PEW):

IMG_1459_zps6e4736eb.jpg

As I understand it, Mike is the father of the other two and all three are under a year. I will have a better idea when I meet the boys this week.

We still have Kimmy and Bug (bonded pair) available
421131_469265753129808_2018351084_n.jpg

and Galiléo (6 month old female) looking for a forever home
IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

She was treated for a bad case of mites, but other than that she's in great shape.

Please email [email protected] to adopt.

P.S. We are still looking for someone to drive some guinea pigs to Vermont if possible. There's a thread in the 'Trains, Planes and Automobiles' forum or you can PM me to ask for details.

I just emailed BF about Galileo. It's funny I saw your post this morning - I was thinking of her before I left for work. Princesse looks more and more isolated now, she was in a pot on the lower floor of the DCN this morning while all 4 boys were squished in a house on the top shelf... either she's is starting to feel her age (according to the surrender papers, she would now be 2.5 years old - she most probably hit 2 a month or so ago according to my short experience), or she needs a female buddy - she was best friend with my poor Victoria -... or she is coming down with something that will end up being fatal, as paranoid me noticed that same dynamic when both Charlie and Victoria got sick... :(

I am taking two boys to the vet tonight, which will most probably bring everyone (rats and piggy included) minus Jay on abs (Jay is on the list for next week). Everyone but Jay will be at or over 2 years old in June, including Chester who would be turning 30 months old and in close to full HED... would a 6 months old female be too much energy on my aging crew?

I think it would be fine, 6 months old isn't quite a baby. She was living with an old male when she came in (he had an injury that would have made him sterile for quite some time and had to be euthanized) so I think she is used to lower energy rats already.

Took a little while, but there it is, I finally told Victoria it's a go with Galileo. Now I need to start thinking of names, because neither BF and I want that name for a girlie. Didn't run it by BF yet, but I'm toying with Cassiopée/Cassie. Tried it before and it didn't go through though. But I like the idea of a constellation name for a black hoody...

Went to pick up a cage donation this morning and brought it to the shelter. We received one stray male this morning and I've just been told there are 14 more on the way. I think the 14 are actually 13 that were abandonned in a vacant apartment and advertised on Kijiji. Mom looks pregnant. I'm going to try to get a hold of a camera and get some pictures before I leave.

The male that arrived this morning is Boris and he is a doll. Huge Himi boy (not fat but huge), curious, not nervous and in good health. I would estimate his age at 12-15 months.

We also have four females from last week - a pair of 2.5 month old PEWs and another 2.5 month old pair - a BEW and a capped girl I believe.

More details as I have them....

Back