Montreal SPCA - Exotics Department - many, many rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crumbilina said:
Unepuce said:
Why do I keep coming back to look at Jay's picture???? :panic:

I grinned when I read this...

I think we all know why :wink:

Yeah... there goes my 4 limit. But getting Jay would balance my "colors" a little bit - I have 4 blonds on one side: (2 siamese, 1 PEW and 1 beige hooded), and 1 black on the other... this is not fair to my dark little Hunter is it? I should get him a darker friend, right?

And then I would need to get a standard ear rattie girl for Princesse, as everyone else is a dumbo and I would have 4 boys and only 2 girls... and 2 girlies would actually be better since that would even up my boy/girl number to 4/4...

:gaah: HELP ME!! I'm getting GGMR!!!! :wallbang:

Those pictures of him, he is totally yelling out that he wants to live with you and he thinks hunter would be an awesome friend..

hopefloats said:
Those pictures of him, he is totally yelling out that he wants to live with you and he thinks hunter would be an awesome friend..

He totally is isn't he???

.oO(She's not helping one bit!) :wallbang:

You should know we wont tell people to not adopt a rat from a shelter LOL we are total enablers here!

Joanne said:
Here, let me help you (puts her in the car to go over and visit him in person...) :cheeky:

And you thought you were joking?

I am in contact with Victoria for an appointment at the SPCA tomorrow to meet both Charlie and Jay, forcing two different volunteers to take their fosters in to meet us. BF and I both pretend there is no guarantee, but hey, when you go that far, it's pretty hard to back up, is it? Especially when you advertise it all over the Net - to a rescue community, on top of it all! :oops:

There are still lots of unknowns, though. The boys have never met, and it would help me A LOT to welcome them as an already introed pair, plus there is the neuter money because no boy gets into my house and keeps his goolies except BF (and human visitors, of course! :giggle: ). And the usual stuff that's been haunting me from the beginning. But I am still planning on going ahead and meeting them tomorrow, driven by that rescue urge you guys have awaken into my soul (they both are older boys, so will most probably be harder to adopt out). Yop, it's all your fault if I crash down and go back up to 7! Be prepared to counsel me when I get my nervous breakdown in about 6 months!!! :panic: :laugh4:

Hey! Now that it's not my fault anymore, I feel much better about this! (almost!)

Well... I met the boys... and they adopted me!

No kidding, we took them to a meeting room to see them interact (they have never met), and there were Victoria, BF and I sitting on the floor, and the boys would stick by me. How can you resist that??? OK... it was a strange place, a strange room full of strangers and filled with strange noises (the meeting room is accross the hall from the main doggie room and there was a lot of barking) so they "might" have been scared (...), but hey, I still like to think they chose me. :cheeky:

Victoria and Carole did an amazing job in prepping them for adoption meetings - be nice and cuddly, pay attention to your potential adopters, show them you like them... they are very smart and obedient boys! :giggle:

Charlie the "aggressive" himi looks EXACTLY like Chester. Funny how a picture can lead you wrong! And if sleeping into your jacket and grooming between your legs count as aggressive, he definitely is a very aggressive rat! And Jay... handsome black boy, nervous for the first 45 minutes, but settled down onto our shoulders... what a calm, soothing boy! I never had lap rats, nor shoulder rats... they did hit the soft spot right there! :heart:

Victoria took both boys home for introductions last night. BF asked that we take the rest of the week to discuss, but even if we passed on the adoption, Carole, another volunteer, was planning on introducing them and taking them both as fosters anyway. And if we go ahead and adopt them, Victoria will take them both to her vet to be neutered (he is a bit cheaper than my vet, and one that I trust entirely).

So we will confirm this weekend whether these boys are coming home to us or not!

Victoria , how was their first night at your place?

The boys are at my place. We stuck them in the same cage at the shelter but had to take away the igloo when they squabbled. They ended up sleeping at opposite corners of the cage but on the way home they were huddled with each other in the carrier. I had them on the couch for a few hours and they were fine but again, separate. I think Charlie was a bit stressed because he chewed a hole in the sweater I was wearing and two of our cushion covers :|

I cleaned Charlie's half of the CN and put them in there to see how things went. There was a small squabble in the igloo but they were fine after that. Jay was more interested in aggravating the girls up top (Charlie has never been stressed by or bothered the girls but Jay had them all worked up and huffing and puffing at him) but I did notice when I put a treat in there for them, Jay was somewhat of a bully with Charlie. He didn't attack him or anything but he made sure to scare Charlie off anytime he tried to eat even though Jay himself was not interested in the food. Long story short, I did not leave them together overnight. I'll keep trying them together until they get more used to each other before putting them in together permanently.

Mika (dumbo black berk) and Sadie (black berk with head spot) are three months old and arrived at the shelter September 5th. Mika is a bit more nervous than her sister but both are very curious and energetic.

IMG_7807_zps42627984.jpg

IMG_7813_zpsd0b8361d.jpg

IMG_7814_zpsef9a2114.jpg

Unepuce said:
Well... I met the boys... and they adopted me!

No kidding, we took them to a meeting room to see them interact (they have never met), and there were Victoria, BF and I sitting on the floor, and the boys would stick by me. How can you resist that??? OK... it was a strange place, a strange room full of strangers and filled with strange noises (the meeting room is accross the hall from the main doggie room and there was a lot of barking) so they "might" have been scared (...), but hey, I still like to think they chose me. :cheeky:

Victoria and Carole did an amazing job in prepping them for adoption meetings - be nice and cuddly, pay attention to your potential adopters, show them you like them... they are very smart and obedient boys! :giggle:

Charlie the "aggressive" himi looks EXACTLY like Chester. Funny how a picture can lead you wrong! And if sleeping into your jacket and grooming between your legs count as aggressive, he definitely is a very aggressive rat! And Jay... handsome black boy, nervous for the first 45 minutes, but settled down onto our shoulders... what a calm, soothing boy! I never had lap rats, nor shoulder rats... they did hit the soft spot right there! :heart:

Victoria took both boys home for introductions last night. BF asked that we take the rest of the week to discuss, but even if we passed on the adoption, Carole, another volunteer, was planning on introducing them and taking them both as fosters anyway. And if we go ahead and adopt them, Victoria will take them both to her vet to be neutered (he is a bit cheaper than my vet, and one that I trust entirely).

So we will confirm this weekend whether these boys are coming home to us or not!
Awesome!
Hey, I'm at nine, so I think you have plenty of room for more....

Just a quicky to let y'all know that Charlie and Jay have found a home and that I am picking them up tomorrow.

I'm sure nobody bet that I would not be taking them... I'm so predictable :roll:

Unepuce said:
Just a quicky to let y'all know that Charlie and Jay have found a home and that I am picking them up tomorrow.

I'm sure nobody bet that I would not be taking them... I'm so predictable :roll:

I'm looking forward to seeing this in the "Unepuce's Ratties" thread :cloud9:

Congratulations ... I'm so happy for the boys and for you!

The department has just received 12 degus, 8 females are possibly pregnant. We are already overcrowded already and I really don't know how we are going to manage without a lot of help. We are in DESPERATE need of fosters and adopters. The only 2 rats in our care are in foster but we need fosters and/or adopters for rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and degus. Fosters must be local but we can transport to Ontario or elsewhere for adopters. Please spread the word if you know anyone looking to adopt a rabbit or a pair of guinea pigs or degus!

Sadie and Mika are being adopted by their foster (not me!) and will have two older sisters!

Gaspar (black hooded), Bambou (Siamese) and Gus (agouti self) are 3 males, 4-6 months old. Gus is the liveliest of the trio and always comes to greet visitors and see what's going on.

101_2214.jpg

victoria said:
Sadie and Mika are being adopted by their foster (not me!) and will have two older sisters!

Gaspar (black hooded), Bambou (Siamese) and Gus (agouti self) are 3 males, 4-6 months old. Gus is the liveliest of the trio and always comes to greet visitors and see what's going on.

101_2214.jpg

Hum... does that mean Carole is getting more girls? :giggle:

Those boys look adorable... I knew I shouldn't have looked at this post! I so wish I could take them all!

By the way - Jay and Charlie now live together, they even started sharing a house this last Sunday, so Charlie now has a sleeping buddy, probably for the first time in his life! He is still cautious around hyperactive Jay, but he does carefully walk up to him now. Those two hold my heart in their little ratty paws! :heart:

Could you ask Carole if she does have the surrender papers still? I would really be curious to know the background you have on Jay. I can't believe someone abandonned such a social, happy little boy. He is my very first lap rat!!! :heart:

Back