Montreal SPCA - Exotics Department - many, many rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unepuce said:
Yeah for Boris! :joy:

Mearaid, told you 6 was the magic number! :cheeky:

I *think* she's at 5 but I may be mistaken.

The other 14 rats are a mom and 13 babies left behind in an empty apartment, with a dog.

I think they're about 3 weeks old so we're not going to take pictures yet but I will post a video tonight.

I sexed them and tried to keep track of colours, he's what we have:

Mom: Himalayan (Siamese?), standard ears - possibly pregnant

6 females:
  • 3 PEW, standard ears[/*:m:2of2bna5]
  • 1 PEW, dumbo ears [/*:m:2of2bna5]
  • 2 Siamese, standard ears[/*:m:2of2bna5]

7 males:
  • 3 PEW, standard ears[/*:m:2of2bna5]
  • 1 PEW, dumbo ears[/*:m:2of2bna5]
  • 1 Siamese, standard ears[/*:m:2of2bna5]
  • 2 Siamese, dumbo ears[/*:m:2of2bna5]

Unepuce said:
Yeah for Boris! :joy:

Mearaid, told you 6 was the magic number! :cheeky:

Yes you did, :nod: but Victoria is right I am only at 4 for now. I ended up passing on Edison, I couldn't arrange a spare cage and I didn't know that the SPCA loans cages for intros, now I know better.

Ok, here is everybody!

Boris, I'm no longer sure if he's Himalayan or Siamese. He's a BIG boy, Mearaid:

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

Bubbles and Blossom, approx 2.5-3 months old:

IMG_3087.JPG

Kelly (black hooded, head spot) and Amy (BEW), 4-5 months (?):

IMG_3104.JPG

and of course, mom and babies :) They need names if anyone has suggestions. I'm also interested in people's age estimates. Again, I'm no longer confident if mom is a Himalayan or a Siamese. I'm leaning more toward Siamese now...

[BBvideo 450,375:2jctyly2]http://youtu.be/VYCl424Pe30[/BBvideo:2jctyly2]

We also have SEVEN young male mice male mice (all either black or agouti selfs), a few gerbils and many rabbits and guinea pigs:

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

victoria said:
Ok, here is everybody!
Boris, I'm no longer sure if he's Himalayan or Siamese. He's a BIG boy, Mearaid:

Wow he is a big boy, I already have difficulty telling Kiki and Robin apart if I don't look closely this is not going to make things any easier.

Mairead said:
victoria said:
Ok, here is everybody!

Wow he is a big boy, I already have difficulty telling Kiki and Robin apart if I don't look closely this is not going to make things any easier.

I don't know what Robin looks like now but Boris is big. His face is really different, he has those really defined eyebrows that I don't get with my neutered males.

AmandaTrexica said:
I can't see the images for some reason, but that video is adorable. =]

I fixed the links. I'm using a new hosting site right now and I'm not sure what happened.

I'm going to Toronto over the weekend so if anyone's interested in either pair or girls, this is your chance :D

We need names for mom and babies. The names they gave them at reception are hideous, we'd love suggestions. We have 7 females and 7 males needing names.

We're having an event this weekend to raise money for the department. Nail trimming, baked goodies, animal sponsorship all to raise money for our department. Come on by if you're in town and support a good cause :)

When is it opened? I can't go today (going to Joliette for my sister's BD) but I sure can try to stop by tomorrow or Monday to make my official donation to the exotics department!

I'll check what the hours are for Monday and get back to you :) Today and Sunday we're there from 11-5 (I'm just getting my butt in gear after medicating and cleaning litter boxes) and Monday is a little scaled down but all funds donated still go to the department.

As, I told Carole, we're (you included) lucky Boris was adopted. We would not have been able to resist his charm ;)

The shelter's open for (cat and dog) adoptions/to the public from 12-8 on Monday. If you're just going to donate, you can always call in a donation or I can give you the details (Paypal address, etc.) to sponsor a specific animal.

We'll be back tomorrow showcasing some rabbits in an x-pen in the main lobby, selling baked goodies, trimming nails and available to answer any questions from the public.

victoria said:
As, I told Carole, we're (you included) lucky Boris was adopted. We would not have been able to resist his charm ;)

Boris is definitely a sweetheart, he loves to put his head in the palm of my hand and get his faced rubbed by my thumb. Here he is with three of his new brothers.

Back