Maritime Shack Fest: wonderful visit, photos Page 4&5

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where would people choose to meet?

• Fredericton: Odell Park

• Moncton: Centennial Park

• Sackville, NB: Waterfowl Park

• Saint John: Irving Nature Park

• Truro: (suggestions needed for venue)

• Somewhere else: specify in a post

Results are only viewable after voting.
This would be nothing fancy. I was thinking of the Sackville Waterfowl Park in the afternoon (say, 1-5 pm?) so that everyone can get back home by dark.

if the weather is nice, this will be fine. There are some picnic areas and parking spots. See the map at http://www.sackville.com/assets/uploads ... WP_map.pdf

If the weather was poor, we'd have to head for a nice little coffee and sandwich/soup place on Bridge Street. It was called Bridge St Cafe when I was there last, and formerly Cafe Thirteen I think.

I love that park. It's always fun to walk around the boardwalk and see the birds. Nearby Mt Allison campus has a big pond with swans. Right beside the coffee shop is a little gem of an art gallery, and there is a nice bookstore on the same block.

***ETA: There is a campground, an inn, a motel or two, and several B&Bs: http://www.sackville.com/visit/accommodations/

I'm really doubtful I'll be able to make it myself :( I have a walk I need to go to in New Glasgow around that time so I can't see us affording two trips with no vehicle! BUT should something work out, I'll be sure to make the trip up on whichever date.

And yeah, from CB this would be about a 12h round trip :p

I contacted the Sackville Waterfowl Park to enquire about their picnic area on the deck of the Welcome Centre. Good news!

We have 2 picnic tables on the deck of the Visitor Information Centre (34 Mallard dr.). There is plenty of room for 6 people and we are glad you thought of us to stop! We also offer guided tours of the Waterfowl park and if this interests you we would be happy to reserve you a spot! Our centre is open from 9-6pm in June so if there is bad weather you are more than welcome to use our centre as a shelter.

So we could do a potluck, nothing fancy. If all else fails, they have a Tim Horton's not far! But the park is really pretty for a walk.

For those who have never explored Sackville, it is a great little town. for those who love the outdoors, the Waterfowl Park is excellent for birding, and there are other nearby areas good for birding. for those who love art, the Fog Forest Gallery is a little gem, and Mt Allison has the Owens Gallery with some original paintings by Alex Colville. The town is very pretty, and there used to be a restaurant with good deserts.

I keep finding more good stuff! There is a Market that day:

Farmer's Market
Saturday, June 18th, 2011, 9:00 am–noon
Sackville Farmer's Market every Saturday morning at the Bridge Street Cafe, 10 Bridge Street, Sackville, from 9:00 am - 12:00 noon.

The market features regional products, fresh produce, baked goods, ethnic foods, arts and crafts and more! The market bustles with vendors and local entertainment.

All are invited to attend!

Bridge Street Cafe is worth a visit anyway.

Here's the link to a brochure: http://www.sackville.com/assets/uploads ... nglish.pdf

For any of you who like birds, here is a recent list of sightings at the SWP mid-day. I know that there would be even more to see earlier in the day. Once, at the area across the highway, I saw a Sora Rail. Here are sightings reported on June 10 on the Nature NB forum:

"June 10

Sackville Waterfowl Park 12:55-14:05
3 Pied-billed Grebes, 2 Canada Goose pairs+13 goslings, 7 Gadwalls, 19
Mallards+4 ducklings, 8 American Wigeons+3 ducklings, 2 male Northern
Shovelers, Blue-winged Teal pair, 4 Ring-necked Duck pairs, 3 calling Soras,
2 Red-eyed Vireos, first singing PHILADELPHIA VIREO of spring, 6
wood-warblers, inc. singing NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH

Tantramar Wetland Centre 14:30-15:25
2 Pied-billed Grebe pairs+1 chick, Great Blue Heron, male Gadwall, 4
American Wigeons, female Green-winged Teal+ 9 ducklings, 30 Ring-necked
Ducks, 11 Ring-billed Gulls, possible singing SEDGE WREN in wet grassy area
(not seen to verify), 4 wood-warblers, inc. TENNESSEE WARBLER "

So, any details?
who is going? what are people bringing?
plates? bowls? silverware? glasses? BBQ?
Are people meeting at a specific location at 1 pm?

For those who didn't see the earlier post, we are meeting at 1pm at the Visitors' Centre at the edge of Sackville Waterfowl Park. There are some picnic tables on the back deck. for those who need caffeine, there is a Tim Hortons near the western exit from the highway.

I am hoping that, as usual, pot luck will provide a good variety. I would suggest that everyone bring their own plates & cutlery. I will bring some BBQ chicken. My guess is that there will be about half a dozen of us, but I don't know for sure.

I will be there. Who else?

Hi guys :) I'm back...a little haha.

I will bring something (perhaps pasta salads, potato salad, etc). I'm not a cook though so I will definitely be buying premade. Can't wait to see people :)

I love garlic :thumbup:

I'm going too ... I'll bring a salad, salt, pepper, poppyseed dressing and a vinegrette dressing so if anyone wants something different sorry, you will need to bring it with you.

Back