Lucy & Freddie - Fire Belly Newts :) - Lost a Newt :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freddie
IMG_2812-1.jpg

IMG_2807-1.jpg

IMG_2787-1.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

Freddie & Lucy
IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

Minnie
IMG_2769.jpg

Marco
IMG_2771.jpg

I think Freddie is a she haha, i am sure I seen lumps last night ..oh well LOL

Very cute! I love Lucy and Freddie :) Makes me want some, but the BF isn't interested in any more additions right now

No shedding.

Sadly Maarco past last week ..I think Minnie tried to eat him ..she was bigger than him.

Here is some updated pics of the newts.

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

Aww, I'm sorry about Marco RIP. Minnie may have been harassing him if there was a size difference. Did you see her attempt to eat him or are you just making a guess?

On the bright side, Freddie and Lucy look like they're doing well!

Bamboo said:
Aww, I'm sorry about Marco RIP. Minnie may have been harassing him if there was a size difference. Did you see her attempt to eat him or are you just making a guess?

On the bright side, Freddie and Lucy look like they're doing well!

I never noticed anything to be honest.

Marco used to always hide, I would never see him eat or anything ..both him and polo were very tiny ..I think that had something do to with it.

Freddie and Lucy are doing perfect ..still feeding them everyday ..they know when feedign time is :giggle: they stick to the side of the tank the same time everyday its so funny ..when should I cut them down to less feedings? they love their food.

If he was wasn't eating or was weak in some way (on top of being smaller) she may have felt the need to cannibalize him. On the other hand, he may have simply died. Either way RIP Marco

Well, Freddie and Lucy certainly look like they are of a good body weight. How long approx. are they?

Ah, OK so they're at their adult size now. Since they look like they're a healthy weight, you could probably start slowing down the feedings now. Start feeding every other day and see how they do. Then, in a few weeks slow the feedings down to 2 or 3 times a week. Once you get there, they should be fully mature so you should maintain that schedule for the rest of their lives.

Just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't lose too much weight (and I highly doubt they'll lose any at all)

Something that I do to keep track of feeding schedules is to get a dry-erase marker and write the day they last ate on one corner of the tank. You probably won't need to do this quite yet but when you have them on their adult schedule, it can sometimes be difficult to remember when the last day they ate was (especially if you have a lot of animals like me lol) And, since they're aquatic, you can also keep track of the water changes this way.

If you're OCD about things like this, you could also log all of this stuff in a notebook or journal. This way you can keep track of who is eating what, how often they were eating it and what the water params. were at the time, etc. Then, if somebody gets sick or behavior changes you can look back and see if anything changed around the same time. I dunno, it's just something that I've found helpful...I think I would lose my mind trying to keep track of everything just by memory, but maybe that's just me lol!

Been a while since I updated. Freddie, Lucy and Minnie are doing well. I still have not gotten around to getting Minnie a buddy, bt she seems content by herself.
Freddie and Lucy are good, I am unable to tell them apart now haha.

Heres one:
IMG_7069.jpg

Heres the other:
IMG_7072.jpg

Aww, I'm sorry about Minnie (RIP)

Freddy and Lucy look like they're doing well :) You're doing a great job with them :thumbup:

Bamboo said:
Aww, I'm sorry about Minnie (RIP)

Freddy and Lucy look like they're doing well :) You're doing a great job with them :thumbup:

I don't know what happend with Minnie ..we had her a few months, her freind died or should I say got eaten ..so that left minnie and the freshwater clam ..she was doing great ..I seen her one day, and the next I never seen her, I cleaned the whole tank ..no bones, no frog ..unless the clam ate her?

The tank is now taken down, and put away ..:S

Back