Lucy & Freddie - Fire Belly Newts :) - Lost a Newt :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry about Arfur :( RIP. Again, I don't think it had anything to do with you. If I had to guess, I would say that his leg probably got infected back at the store.

I'm glad the frog is feeling better though :)

ETA: xxchelle is correct. Newts are capable of regenerating lost limbs.

Bamboo, would it be good for me to get another froggie and another newts, so Lucy and the other frog will have company? Lucy stayed around Arfur a lot. ..after the water is tested of course.

If you feel up to it, yeah. FBNs are pretty social and ADFs will keep each other entertained. Just remember, especially with the ADFs, they should be as close to the same size as possible...otherwise whoever's smaller will end up on the menu lol.

Bamboo said:
If you feel up to it, yeah. FBNs are pretty social and ADFs will keep each other entertained. Just remember, especially with the ADFs, they should be as close to the same size as possible...otherwise whoever's smaller will end up on the menu lol.

I want what's best for them. I'll update later. Thanks

While I'm a bit late in the game, I want to say I'm very sorry for your losses, I agree that it was probably nothing you did. I know little about newts, but with the ADF's, it is incredibly common to lose them shortly after you get them due to the awful conditions at the stores (crowding, mixed species, poor nutrition, dirty/harmful water, etc), or, before that, the mills. There's some pretty awful videos of what they do to the ones they sell in those frog-o-spheres :(.

Also, I think you have very cool setups, I can't wait until I get some aquatic amphibians, I have some nice tanks that are dying to be filled lol.

Also, just as a FYI, they can be occasionally found in regular or specialized shelters or as rehomes, if you are interested in trying to adopt your next ones.

Also, to answer your question about water, you can use distilled, since your water is hard, this site shows the levels of the more common brands and explains a bit:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml

Thanks, I'll check that link out.

We have no shelter heer other thsan the one I help with, and they have never gotton anything in reptiles other than turtles.
Very rare to find them on kijiji of classifids.

I iwsh I could adopt :(

That sucks, it's not frequently but every once in a while I see them within a few hours of me. I just wasn't sure if you had checked, a lot of people assume no rescues take them in so that's why I mentioned it :) They're also possibly more popular in my area.

New ADF setup

IMG_2690.jpg

Newt Set up!
IMG_2698.jpg

Love the new setups hun.....so sorry bout Arfur and the froggie...Very fragile creatures indeed. They aren't really something you'd see often to rescue or adopt since...well....I hate to say it, but I think they fall under the fish category for "easy to dispose" for the sick individuals who would do that....I hope you find something if you are looking to add back to your tanks :D

Bamboo said:
Those look great! How are Lucy and froggie doing today? :)

Both are very good. Lucy is very happy and froggie loves hiding in his plants and logs.

Got the water tested for everything yesterday ..everything was perfect.

The more I look at these pictures, the more I want a newt. I actually had a dream last night that I went to a rescue and asked for a newt, and they had this HUGE friggin newt, and it was yellow. It was massive, like 4 feet long. Then I woke up. :lol:

Aww, that's great to hear! Good job :thumbup:
xxchelle said:
The more I look at these pictures, the more I want a newt. I actually had a dream last night that I went to a rescue and asked for a newt, and they had this HUGE friggin newt, and it was yellow. It was massive, like 4 feet long. Then I woke up. :lol:
lol did it look anything like this? It could be a sign :giggle:
tiger-salamander.jpg

Oooo he's pretty! No, it was all yellow and whitish, no black or anything... it was super weird. I can't even think of an animal that's comparable in the real-world that I could have been thinking of.

It was in a very tiny tank too, with no decorations, no gravel, no filter. There wasn't even enough water in the tank to cover it, and it was curled up on itself because the tank was too tiny. I wanted to take it home, but I couldn't figure out how to get this four-foot-long thing in the small kritter keeper I had brought...

Anyways, enough about my weird, depressing, strange-creature dream!

LOL Chelle, that is so funny!

Oh oh, got friends for Marco and Lucy.

Marco's friend is Minnie and Lucy's Friend is Freddie :D

Pics to come shortly :)

Bamboo said:
Haha, I love that first picture of Freddie! He looks like he has a lot of personality :)

He is quiet the little charcter ..always on the move. Got soem more cute shots, Ill post later :)

Back