Lucy & Freddie - Fire Belly Newts :) - Lost a Newt :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many places will inappropriately house species together...this is to save space, nothing more. Species should not be mixed. Can you put the newts into the 5 gallon until you can get your hands on a 10 gallon? Honestly, it would be better for them to a little cramped for a while, rather then be in danger of being eaten by the ADFs. You would have to ensure that the enclosure is kept really clean if it's a little on the small side but like I said, it really would be the lesser of two evils.

I can get a hold of a 10 gallon tank tomorrow night a switch them then. Should the frogs have a filter too?

I'm glad you've decided to separate them! Whether the ADFs have a filter or not is really up to you: If you do want a filter, you should use a canister filter as opposed to a HOT filter, simply because ADFs in nature live in still pools. Excess vibrations (that would be generated by a HOT filter) likely are stressful to them. With a canister filter, the filter part is not in contact with the tank so there won't be these vibrations. (However care would need to be taken to ensure that the output is causing as little surface agitation as possible)

If you would prefer to not have a filter, that's fine too but, again, you will really need to watch the water quality. *(I actually wrote up a caresheet that goes into more detail, if your intrested: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16708&p=307987#p307987 )

I wasn't trying to be rude or know-it-all, I was just trying to make sure I got the info across. I've talked to many people who've come home to "accidents" that happened as a result of mixed species, and they've been really upset by what happened. I just didn't want that to happen here. :)

When you say feed the newts everyday and with meals dusted 3x week ..what do you mean by dusted?

Go a new setup tonight for the ADF! I'll post pictures in a few, and I'll post more pics for you Kimbar :D

Heres some picture, like I promised!

ADF tank!
IMG_2373.jpg

Froggies
IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

FBN Tank
IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Lucy
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

Arfur
IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

Lucy & Arfur
IMG_2419.jpg

I don't truly understand the need to separate when the newts will always be larger, but the water vibration thing I did not know. Not to hijack, but Bamboo, do you know if the larger African Clawed Frogs are the same? I use a Stingray 5 filter with mine, which causes water vibrations and such.

oh, someone got to the back leg question before me LOL

I know, very sad ..they took him out and were like oh he is missing a foot we will give u another one, I was like no, Ill take him ...poor boy

Ratty Momma said:
When you say feed the newts everyday and with meals dusted 3x week ..what do you mean by dusted?
Dusted with a calcium supplement. Adults can get away without it (though it is best to continue throughout it's lifetime. Adults need much less supplementation though) but juvies/sub-adults really need it. The calcium helps their bones grow and they may end up stunted without it. Especially if it's regenerating a foot.
Asheka said:
I don't truly understand the need to separate when the newts will always be larger, but the water vibration thing I did not know. Not to hijack, but Bamboo, do you know if the larger African Clawed Frogs are the same? I use a Stingray 5 filter with mine, which causes water vibrations and such.
ADFs, like most frogs, are mouths with legs. They will attempt to eat almost anything, whether it's too big or not. This will usually end up causing limbs to be torn off and general injury. Obviously this opens the door for infections, as well as being completely unnecessarily stressful (both for the frogs, and especially the newts) As well as being unpleasant, stress also makes them more vulnerable to diseases, etc. Not only that but, as amphibians, both species naturally secrete their own toxins specific to their species. An FB newt isn't going to be negatively affected by another FB newts toxins (unless they're allowed to build up, but that's a different issue all together) but it will be negatively affected by an ADF's toxins, and vice versa.

I know I'm repeating myself but there is simply no good that can come from communally housing different species. If people are thinking that the diffrent species will keep each other company, that's not how it works. A FB newt will find no comfort in the company of ADFs (and vice versa) Quite the opposite actually. Even if, on the off chance that they don't physically harm each other, they will be constantly stressed by the mere presence of an "intruder". It's the same as housing rats with mice: for some reason, people seem to have the idea that it's fine -I guess because, outwardly, they seem similar enough -but it's just an accident waiting to happen.

As for the vibrations thing, admittedly there is no concrete evidence that it is physically harmful, but it is stressful (which ends up being harmful). Yes, ACFs are the same way. I'm not familiar with the make and model you described Asheka, but I'm assuming that it's a HOT filter, right? Would you be able to do 2 larger water changes a week, rather then the one you're doing already and remove the HOT filter? If you can't get a hold of a canister filter, I think that might be the best thing to do.

I'm really, really glad that you decided to separate them. I guarantee you, they are all much happier for it, and they will thank you with many, many years of companionship :thumbup:

They never told me about caclium supplements.
Can I just buy stuff called calcium supplement?

I feed Brine Shrimp and blood worms both frozen ..switched daily. So this calcium would just be put over it 3x a week?

Ratty Momma said:
They never told me about caclium supplements.

Unfortunately, as we all know, the information received at pet stores is typically incomplete at best, if not absolutely false, LOL

The supplement is usually called calcium dust or calcium powder (when I've seen it, anyway) and it's shelved along with the rest of the reptile type stuff.

Back