The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone!
I bought two pet rats (female) from pets at home about 40 days ago and am concerned that one of them maybe being pregnant.

I went in to the shop intending to buy two male rats but when I got to the checkout after picking them out I was told by staff that they were actually female and that they had mixed up the sexes of the cages. I thought nothing of it and took them home and got them settled in. I was meant to receive a health check from pets at home but I haven’t even got that!
Both Olive and Meg were lovely for the first couple of weeks and Meg still is, but for the last week Olive has been acting very strange compared to her usual self.
She has always been quite skittish but recently she has started nipping and running away whenever she has to be gotten out of her cage. She has escaped twice in the last three weeks! Her stomach has also become very round and lumpy on either side. I’m worried that she is pregnant but I’m not sure how that would be possible. She has also been nesting and cleaning herself more often than usual, especially down below. Her vagina also seems to be quite open and slightly more pink/red than usual. The fur along the sides of her stomach also seems stretched and thinned, and her nipples more obvious.
Also, Meg seems to have buck grease just above her hind legs even though every breeder and rat owner I’ve asked says she looks like she is a girl.

Attachments

• BBCBD250-63B2-4B8A-B3E5-224555B75897.jpeg
    BBCBD250-63B2-4B8A-B3E5-224555B75897.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2D5B9571-C829-4BD4-B435-5EA8D49DE048.jpeg
    2D5B9571-C829-4BD4-B435-5EA8D49DE048.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 151
  • 42CB48A4-382C-428E-A8BF-5140A2BAE533.jpeg
    42CB48A4-382C-428E-A8BF-5140A2BAE533.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
A rat gestation is 21-23 days so if you picked her up 40 days ago she can't be pregnant.
I know but I’m not 100% sure that my other rat is a girl and based on how Olive is acting I’m not sure what else could be going on, especially since you can see movement in her sides when she’s still. One of the breeders I contacted said that it could be sperm retention/delayed implantation, although that is very rare.

Did the breeders bother to tell you that delayed implantation only occurs when the female rat is impregnated in her post-birth heat 24-48 hours after giving birth to a litter. Nature does this so the current litter has a chance to survive (4 or more weeks oldrather than 3 weeks old when weaned). These post-partum pregnancies are 4-5 weeks which is still less than 40 days

Post pics of the rat you think could be a male. Testes descend at 3-4 weeks of age so they would look very different in appearance. If you are seeing small rhythmic jerks as she stands there she could be hiccupping.

I have already read all about delayed implantation and why it occurs, just thought I would mention it. She is definitely not hiccuping. And my other rat does not have any visible testes so I’m sure that if I post pictures of her I will just get the same answers as before. I’m just a bit worried as to what is going on but instead of suggestions as to what might be happening I’m just getting blunt answers. I’ve been nothing but polite and respectful of others and just want to do right by my rat.

Attachments

• 217C974F-5F1A-45F6-821B-DFE17E28FD8B.jpeg
    217C974F-5F1A-45F6-821B-DFE17E28FD8B.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 146
That looks like a little girl to me.! You said the girl who may be pregnant has escaped twice right.? What are the odds of her coming in contact with a wild male.? Females search out males when in heat so it made me get thinking-

That looks like a little girl to me.! You said the girl who may be pregnant has escaped twice right.? What are the odds of her coming in contact with a wild male.? Females search out males when in heat so it made me get thinking-
I don’t think there is any way she could have been in contact with a male as I had eyes on her the whole time but that’s a good point. I’m not sure what’s going on to be honest!

Hmmm... I'm not sure what's up with the behavior but could the movement be parasites.? Like Tapeworm or something similar..? I'm not sure where they originally came from so I'm just spit balling.!

definitely a girly. When girls go in heat their vagina opens up and may look bluish or purplish but that's only every 4-5 days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg4ppflanu3d3t3/babygirlinheat.jpg?dl=0
Sorry for the abruptness, being a rescue forum, when you mentioned breeders I reacted negatively...I've been dealing with some awful backyard breeders around here lately.

She looks normal to me but if you are feeling lumps in her body it could be other health issues. From the pic you posted it doesn't look like she has any flashy white markings like blazes etc? That would rule out late onset megacolon (thankfully!)

Do you feel the lumps when you gently palpate her tummy with your fingers?
How old is she? I've found some rats go through a spooky stage during adolescence, and everything scares them even you. They grow out of this in time.

definitely a girly. When girls go in heat their vagina opens up and may look bluish or purplish but that's only every 4-5 days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg4ppflanu3d3t3/babygirlinheat.jpg?dl=0
Sorry for the abruptness, being a rescue forum, when you mentioned breeders I reacted negatively...I've been dealing with some awful backyard breeders around here lately.

She looks normal to me but if you are feeling lumps in her body it could be other health issues. From the pic you posted it doesn't look like she has any flashy white markings like blazes etc? That would rule out late onset megacolon (thankfully!)

Do you feel the lumps when you gently palpate her tummy with your fingers?
How old is she? I've found some rats go through a spooky stage during adolescence, and everything scares them even you. They grow out of this in time.
It’s ok I understand, thankyou for the response. I don’t feel any obvious or shocking lumps but her stomach feels a bit firm; because she’s so skittish I can’t even get a good feel of it. I’m not sure how old she is as I got her from a pet shop to try and give her a good home, and they haven’t even sent me her health check! I’ll keep a close eye on her as she seems to be eating and drinking well and is still very active, just has a big tummy. :)

Back