Iris the sick Hamilton Girl & her Battle-No More Updates :'(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Dr. Munn is actually thrilled about her! As you know wee Iris loves to be held so when he came in the room and I was cuddling her, his heart sank. But then I put her down and she was moving around and acting normalish, he was relieved. He saw her almost on death's door 5 days ago and then today, so was ecstatic about the improvement.

We have switched her meds up, she is being pulled off baytril, we are going to continue with the dex and adding gentocin...giving her 3 cc's of RLS morning and night now, still taking the doxy, going to give her tramadol (mild opiate he's been using for rabbits and GP's lately) for a pain med...plus an eye lubricant to slather on that poor eye. She didn't get her dex this morning, and stayed more lethargic all day, plus pain may be making her not want to eat. Today there was definite signs of discomfort.

The ear was definitely a burst eardrum, and that is where all the issues lie. The front incisors are resolving themselves which we thought was neat! And her eye...its been lacerated and its hard and there's a protrusion, so Iris and I *may* be looking into an enucleation in the future but hopefully the eye will just shrink...its basically dead now. There is a smaller possibility of a surgery where he makes an incision down the ear so he can get to the inner ear, lances it and drains all the pus. He did this surgery (had a cool name I cannot remember now) on a rat years ago. Rat ended up having a tumour unfortunately.

I am going to move Iris to Valora and Moggy's cage since they will take care of her and keep her company and they are older so they sleep a lot like she does. :) She's been having hours and hours of out time with them on the couch the last 4 days and they cuddled up to her and even licked her :D

Thought I would check in one last time before bed. Seems to be quite a few changes in her meds, not uncommon. Was the Gentocin injection :cry5: or topical?
It sounds like Dr Munn is covering a wide range of bacteria. Gentocin is effective against bacteria that infects many areas of the body like the bloodstream, respiratory tract, skin, sinuses, ear canal and bladder. Hurray for Dr Munn, he has sent in the army! :batbeat:
Is she feeling any better after the pain meds? That poor little girl, do you ever wonder what she is thinking???
Hugs and kisses for Iris and many grateful thoughts to you lilspaz68.
Lets see what tomorrow will bring. :)

The gentocin is injectable, and she is getting it once daily with her daily dex and fluids. Its a treatment he calls Rescue Shots and we have had fantastic success with it for curing respiratory, etc...plus it gives those old COPD rats or chronic rats with scarred lungs a new lease on life...

She got all her meds including the gent and dex in last night's fluids, the new lube for her eye is amazing and works better than the medicated ointment (I will be using both). She perked up slowly over the evening.

She went in with her new friends last night with me anxiously watching for awhile.

This morning she's a new rat...less wobbly, back to bright and perky, and she gobbled down a whole pile of Ensure. She is now sleeping in the fleecy corner retreat with old Valora (not much longer for her, seems to have a hard growth starting up near her bad eye, giving her metacam :().

Iris ATE a lot of Ensure this morning, she had her nose stuck in the bowl for ages. Do you think the combination of pain, and possibly depression (no friends, and being sick) was the reason for lack of appetite?

Well here you go, nice morning pics

Her eye just looks better now
Irisseyeafterusingthelubejun27.jpg

Her new home
Itissnewhomejun27.jpg

Sweet nursemaid Valora (you can see her eye) and Iris
ValoraandIris.jpg

Mogwai (2 year old ex-feeder breeder, she wasn't producing so it was time for a snake's snack :(), Valora, my old THS girl (amost 40 mo) and wee Iris :)
MogwaiValoraandIrisjun27.jpg

:bunnydance:

She's so pretty, I'm so happy to see her looking so much better. I didn't have any hope for her in the beginning, but I am so glad she got the chance to prove me wrong.

Pink

Gentocin injectable is a wonder drug. It used to really bother me when the ratties would squeek whenever the needle went in, and poor Crystal was so smalll, she would limp or drag her back leg for 24 hours after the injection. I alway thought Gentocin was more of a dog drug. Huhh technology its amazing what they can do now a days!
I'm no doctor, but I think her lack of appetite is based strickly on her illness and pain. Rats cannot multi-task, and when they are that sick, they tend to concentrate more on breathing and staying upright than eating. It could be depression, but I don't think so. Animals judge us humans by the odors our bodies left off and Iris truly knows who is making her feel better. Not only that, it is truly visible the nurturing bond Valora has for her!
Right now Little Iris has the best of both worlds, human and rattie alike!
Go Iris Go :cheer:

It looks like little Iris has found her forever home! :love4:

I do only sub-q with butterfly needles and the rats usually barely react. I mix the gentocin and dex in the Ringer's Lactate in the 5 ml syringe, then attach the butterfly infusion set.

I do think that the combination of the new meds, continuation of the dex, and the new friends, made her much happier, and a happy rat is more likely to fight and heal. :)

We still have a long way to go, but I can stop watching her breathe as she sleeps. :wink2: She takes turns cuddling with either Valora or Mogwai in the corner retreat. I didn't give her any fluids this morning since she was eating/drinking so well.

I'll probably take out the Geri crew at about 7 pm when they are starting to wake up anyways and then see how she is :D

Well yesterday wasn't the best for little Iris after her good morning. She slept all day and when I had her out in the evening, gave her the injectable meds, oral doxy and eye lubricant, she was very floppy and uncoordinated. So there was no evening update :sad-p: She was sleeping all sprawled and was showing some neuro symptoms. The smell of the infection was returning as well. :undecided:

Last night (these are the best of the pitiful shots)
Irisalittlewobblyjun28.jpg

and with Valora
IrisandValorajun27.jpg

Then this morning, she happily wobbled out of her Wonderrodent Retreat looking for her morning Ensure. :)
So she got her oral abs, tramadol and her 3 cc's of fluids sub-q.
Then pics
Iris1jun28.jpg

iris-sleidejun28.jpg

Much better today, so I can breathe a little easier again :)
Irislookingbetterjun28.jpg
:heart: :heart:

Maple said:
Not only that, it is truly visible the neutering bond Valora has for her!
hehehehehehehe The what kind of bond?? :laugh4: Sorry Maple, but I was reading the new posts and this just cracked me up!
But Iris is looking much better! Lots of love and hugs to her. Seems like she found the right person, and now, the right rats and is making her comeback!

Back